Music Critique Club!

https://soundcloud.com/torblaa/tjommi

I didnt understand how to put in the cool embedded player!</div><div><br></div><div>This is the only track i've made (roughly) complete with the op-1. Its gritty and rough, but I kinda like it anyway. Organic or whatever.

Everything is op-1 except the piano. I just plugged mye Nord piano 2 straight in, and made a loop. (I love this machine…) The sampled voice-beat-thing is my wife talking about what she wants for dinner. Just stuck the op-1 up in her face and ran it through finger seq in drum afterwards. Played around with tape effects while recording to album and uploaded it.

Thanks so much for the input @tetsugakusha66 I didn't actually use the OP on this track as it was in for repairs, it was made on the Elektron A4 and Rytm.

https://soundcloud.com/torblaa/tjommi

Great job Juniorengineer! The vocal chops are so hard to decode whats for dinner! I like how the piano isn't overpowering and nicely ties everything together. I forget the name of the stock drum kit you're using but it's my favourite for funky percussion! Maybe a nice subtle bass line to help fortify the piano and in between could help round out the track some more?

Here’s the first track off my debut EP

https://soundcloud.com/sunbergsound/dubai-lights/s-u1cdu

Vocals are from OP-1, everything else is 100% analog on the Elektron A4 and Rytm. Vocals and synths were ran through an Eventide Space, then everything recorded to tape. Gimme the good, the bad, and the ugly :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/star_deluxe/jam_june

First attempt at doing something on the OP-1 and MPC…Aiming for a balearic house vibe…a bit rough with the loop points (god knows why, still getting used to the OP-1), I like to think its adds to the charm lol

remix using max / msp to process piano, bass from Moog, blips OP1 processed through modular

https://soundcloud.com/julienmarchal/julien-marchal-insight-xx-tom-adams-remix

@VanillaSun - sounding good, what kind of tape are you using?

@Juniorengineer - did you sample the OP1 in this track though? i could convince myself i recognise some of those samples in the beat… sounding good anyways!

@VanillaSun - sounding good, what kind of tape are you using?

@Juniorengineer - did you sample the OP1 in this track though? i could convince myself i recognise some of those samples in the beat... sounding good anyways!

I’ve got a Fostex 8 track 1/4" machine, been looking for a good condition 2" machine but they are far and few.

I've got a Fostex 8 track 1/4" machine, been looking for a good condition 2" machine but they are far and few.

nice, i have the same, an E8. As / when it breaks i will probably look to get a 4 track as i rarely find myself using more than 4 tracks at once!

Soundcloud are killing off their ‘groups’ functionality starting on August 22nd. So, a couple of questions…

- For the purposes of continuing with MCC, I guess the most obvious alternative would be to PM the Soundcloud URL of your track to an MCC ‘playlist curator’, who would then listen, approve and add it to the ‘MCC Playlist’. Thoughts anyone?

- And what are the best alternatives to the Soundcloud groups model for the purposes of getting new tracks to a set of listeners who have subscribed to a certain ‘niche’, be that musical genre, type of instruments, what the track’s about etc etc. ?

CB

A couple years back a few of us members tried to Dropbox our projects for collaborations. Maybe we could link each other’s tracks that way as well as sound cloud?

We can migrate to Hearthis. Does what we need and we can just set up a MCC group there. See my thread for details of OP-1 and Picket Operators groups I already set up.

CB

Hey guys, i made a remix for a friend recently, largely using the OP1 as a sample processor for synths, check it out here:

https://soundcloud.com/messagetobears/never-be-tom-adams-remix-1

Hello mate!

Hey guys, i made a remix for a friend recently, largely using the OP1 as a sample processor for synths, check it out here:

https://soundcloud.com/messagetobears/never-be-tom-adams-remix-1

Finally got around to taking a listen @aswefallintostatic. Great piece. The vocals were brilliant! I loved the intro, it was so good it almost sounded disseperate from the song when the bear kicked in. There was a lot of noise and for me, personally, I wouldn’t change it, maybe have it a little less apparent but I love hiss and sound! Thumbs up! Additionally, it was probably out of your control given the way the song was conceived.
The drop brought the bass in what sounded like a 909 with an additional hit sample to give it that top end? I’m not sure. Initially, I thought it was a tom. Now I’m thinking it could be a bass drum with the top end of a tom?? Hehehe

I would’ve added something to the bass drums top. A modulated delay or automating it with some reverb. Only subtle changes and because it took center stage when it dropped; like a lead instrument. I would’ve also done slight changes with the scrunching-of-paper sample; some tape WOW or FLUTTER would be my personal preference.

Did you only use the OP-1’s eq? If so, then I am super amazed a how clean of a sound you managed to achieve with little frequency problems.

Super track. I really enjoyed listening to it this morning on my commute. Thank you!

@HisMostDarxxxellent Thanks for the comprehensive feedback man, much appreciated!

The noise is from reel-to-reel tape processing. I am overly immune to it by now so dont really bother to watch my noise floor so its good to get some fresh perspective there!

Interesting thought on the drum top, im just discovering the idea of kick drum layering, will keep it in mind in the future! I love that middle ground between kick and tuned tom though, lots of potential!

There is already an lfo on the release / pitch of the top kick, but its pretty subtle! I am really getting into the idea of treating something like a loop in terms of global processing, but in fact within the loop there are LFO’s doing their job so it never actually exactly repeats itself. Kind of like if you play the same thing over and over on the guitar, trying to get it to be a perfect every time but not quite managing…

EQ was done in Logic im afraid! I record things as a series of live takes onto the reel to reel then bounce the individual tracks out into logic to use the EQ / compressors etc…

x

Yo man!

Here's the first track off my debut EP

https://soundcloud.com/sunbergsound/dubai-lights/s-u1cdu

Vocals are from OP-1, everything else is 100% analog on the Elektron A4 and Rytm. Vocals and synths were ran through an Eventide Space, then everything recorded to tape. Gimme the good, the bad, and the ugly :)

Just listening to your track @VanillaSun
Nice vibe! Great intro with interesting samples. I really enjoyed that. Great intro! It really set the scene for the rest of the track. Nice mixing levels! I turned my headphones up twice and it’s still not near max volume. Love that. The pads are coming in! The samples changed for THE drop. Great work on the eq side of things. Your track is reminding me of the oldskool days. A vibe that I love that with all my heart. This track would sound great mixed in a set :wink:

I wonder if there could’ve been an extra push on each channel with a distortion effect? I feel a bit bad saying that, the track was great. I also wonder about the compression applied. But that could have been my ears: I was just listening to Rinse FM, and we all know about the compression radio likes to utilize.

Jeez, I was hard pushed to find things. Well done my brother from another mother!

The art for the song that I have to look at is horrible. Why did you choose that?

I’m giving it another listen on my Senheisser HD700’s right now. How did you deal with the bottom end? Is there some frequency masking at around 120Hz. I remember watching many a YouTube vid and hearing that the bottom end is a battle and you have decide who wins the Sub frequency battle; there can be only one! :wink:

The intro is very long but again, it wouldn’t matter in set.
Absolutely love the drop. Such a vibe! From 3 minutes in is where I would place it in my set for a crowd to hear. BRILLIANT ending!

My opinion is that there are too many samples and too much detail before the three minute mark. ONLY before the three minute mark. This is a massive thing for me because I absolutely get lost in small automation details. I fate that I have long suffered from. Just ask my high school teacher! Not exactly the same as I wouldn’t end up finishing anything. But I do notice similar details in your work when I work in the box. I’ve just been doing it for an hour. Spent way too much time on music that should be more simple. WoW! Lightbulb moment! I’ve just learnt something.

Out to all those on this musical path. We are all searching for “our own way” and listening with a reason has helped me find things out about my
way.

Thank you so much for posting your track! Great track! Could I get a copy please? I will
play this out when I DJ :slight_smile: here in Japan and let the people around me know about you. They enjoy hearing any musical stories.

@HisMostDarxxxellent Thanks for the comprehensive feedback man, much appreciated!

The noise is from reel-to-reel tape processing. I am overly immune to it by now so dont really bother to watch my noise floor so its good to get some fresh perspective there!

Interesting thought on the drum top, im just discovering the idea of kick drum layering, will keep it in mind in the future! I love that middle ground between kick and tuned tom though, lots of potential!

There is already an lfo on the release / pitch of the top kick, but its pretty subtle! I am really getting into the idea of treating something like a loop in terms of global processing, but in fact within the loop there are LFO's doing their job so it never actually exactly repeats itself. Kind of like if you play the same thing over and over on the guitar, trying to get it to be a perfect every time but not quite managing...

EQ was done in Logic im afraid! I record things as a series of live takes onto the reel to reel then bounce the individual tracks out into logic to use the EQ / compressors etc..

x

You are more than welcome @aswefallintostatic
Reel to reel is the reason for the noise = SUPER COOL!!!
It’s a nice little trick with the kick drum. I also loads endless hours of experimentation when I learned about dividing a baseline into three parts and adding various effects to each part. Yields cool results that one. Your trick is hella cool too. I absolutely love that and not having the same sound twice is an ideal aesthetic. I can’t exactly work out how you did it, so cry-tell, please enlighten me :smiley: I’d love to know. I normally twiddle some knobs or automate a track once it’s in a DAW but I’ve never done that with an LFO.

I see. There’s nothing wrong with that. The power of the digital realm has its advantages :wink: Do you use Logics compressors and EQ?

Finished this one today.
I’d love to know any and all feedback but don’t worry if you don’t have the time. This is my best production in terms of technicality and understanding of what and how I did to get the results I got.
It’s called DARXXXOOT and you can listen ((with your analysis button in your brain switched to ‘ON’ if you fancy it)) to it here:
https://m.soundcloud.com/hismostdarxxxellent/darxxxoot

Hi @HisMostDarxxellent !
I definitely get where you're coming from when you talk about "technicality and understanding of what and how [you] did". I dig the shift just before the minute mark where the bassline shifts down-register and becomes darker. I also really like the subtle hi-range pulses behind the filter sweeps at the 1:00 and 2:00 marks. It's a good addition that counters to the high-intensity 4-on-the-floor sections that precede it.
I think if there's one thing I would note it's that the high-lead voice (the one with the vibrato) gets a little old by the third time it comes in. Maybe cutting it out of the very first section and giving it its introduction at the 1:38 mark would help keep it fresh. As it is right now, a lot of the parts are piled on from the very beginning of the song, which can stunt the song's feeling of progression. But that's just one guy's take on it. TBH it's fine as is, too.
Sorry if these descriptions are vague, it's not easy to describe sounds.

Here are few songs that I made recently. They were recorded in ableton with a handful of plugins.

|| M U S I C L I N K ||
  • Both songs use the OP-1 for drums and effects processing
  • Big Ag uses Dr. Wave when the synths come in on the final verse
  • Hiway Tree uses the digital synth with an LFO from envelope to green (secondary oscillator octave) parameter to get a "sparkling" effect
Other instruments & gear: guitar, bass, cheap casio, carbon-disc mic, scarlett 2i2 audio interface
I really like the OP-1's finger drum sequencer for it's ability to easily mash together un-intuitive sequences.
I also like to make use of the tape's adjustable speed to re-pitch sequences and play with the effective length of the sequences.

Hi @HisMostDarxxellent !
I definitely get where you're coming from when you talk about "technicality and understanding of what and how [you] did". I dig the shift just before the minute mark where the bassline shifts down-register and becomes darker. I also really like the subtle hi-range pulses behind the filter sweeps at the 1:00 and 2:00 marks. It's a good addition that counters to the high-intensity 4-on-the-floor sections that precede it.
I think if there's one thing I would note it's that the high-lead voice (the one with the vibrato) gets a little old by the third time it comes in. Maybe cutting it out of the very first section and giving it its introduction at the 1:38 mark would help keep it fresh. As it is right now, a lot of the parts are piled on from the very beginning of the song, which can stunt the song's feeling of progression. But that's just one guy's take on it. TBH it's fine as is, too.
Sorry if these descriptions are vague, it's not easy to describe sounds.

Yo! Hello there!
Thank you so much @Deaf for reaching out to me and giving me your thoughts and opinions. I was very happy to read them. The technical aspects have and are still taking a loooooong time to settle into my brain.
Regarding the hi-range pulses, I love those sort of rave sounds. The intro pad sound that continues throughout is a sound that I love. I can’t get enough of it so for me its alright. You did make a great point though. I think extra layering of another synth sound would’ve added more interest. It may have also taken away the tracks simplicity. I didn’t experiment with that for numurous reasons. I do love the way Liam Howlett layers his screaming synths though and that is something I want explore as soo as my workflow increases in pace :wink:
Thanks again!