Need help sending SysEx with Keystep to Volca FM

Hey guys.

I am trying to send SysEx files from my MacBook with the SysEx Librarian to the Volca FM.
Therefore I have connected the Arturia Keystep via USB and set the MIDI through to ON.
To check if notes are coming trough I opened up Ableton Live and played the Volca FM with the keyboard of the MacBook. Works fine!
If I now open the SysEx Librarian, choose Artuira Keystep, load the sample file and press play nothing happens on the Volca FM.

Is there anybody who was able to send SysEx over the Keystep?
Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Since I am going crazy over here any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure you can send sysex through the Keystep.

See
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90151.0

Argh. Thats too bad. Thanks for the info though!

Do you know if it is possible to use the Kenton USB MIDI Host with a MacBook to send SysEx files? I would rather buy the MIDI Host because I could use it with the OP-1 as well…

No idea I’m afraid as i own neither macbook or Kenton. Someone on here surely does though :slight_smile:

The manual says:

The supplied USB cable is for connecting the MIDI USB Host Mini-B power socket to the supplied
power adaptor ONLY. Note that the Mini-B socket is for power ONLY, it is not a USB port.”

…so it doesn’t look like it can send sysex from computer to volca. You’ll need a USB MIDI cable to do that, and apparently only some actually support sysex. Somehow I got lucky and my cheap cable supports sysex… though I wouldn’t be able to tell you the brand, as I bought it nearly 10 years ago and it’s completely unbranded.

This is so annoying!

So I will either have to buy all of this:

1 Kenton USB Hub to play the OP-1 with the Keystep
1 power supply for the Kenton hub
1 power supply for the Keystep
1 iConnectivity mio to be able to send SysEx files to the Volca FM
and maybe something like the Kenton THRU - 5 to be able to play the Volca FM and the OP-1 with the Keystep

or
1 giant expensive and unportable iConnectMIDI4+ box
1 powered USB hub

or
search for the expensive discontinued oplab until the end of time

or
is there another solution that I did not think of yet?

www.retrokits.com may have what you’re looking for.

You mean the RK004 right? I thought I would need a Raspberry Pi to get it to work as a host… and then its again not really roadworthy without any casing.

Fair enough. Didn’t realise that.

Would the rk002 work?
https://www.retrokits.com/rk-002/

You mean the RK004 right? I thought I would need a Raspberry Pi to get it to work as a host… and then its again not really roadworthy without any casing.

Looks like with the acrylic plates or modular front panel+small box it would be pretty roadworthy. Just as roadworthy as the OPLAB. And the RPi Zero is only $10, which seems like a fairly small monetary addition to get host functionality.

But yeah, overall doing what you want to do is either expensive and easy or time consuming and cumbersome.

What bothers me is thats its expensive and a big box like the iCM4+ and I still need a hub + power supply.
Isn’t there a simpler solution?

You could use a decent USB to midi cable like the Roland UM-ONE to update the Volca or try your luck with a cheap one (like pselodux says)

I think actually this is overly complicated. If all you want to do is send Sysex using your computer to the VolcaFM, then you should start with a cheaper USB to MIDI cable for you computer. Something like the MIO1. Cheaper ones might not have isolated MIDI signals which might causing pops in your device’s audio.

Then you can just hook the Keystep and MIO1 to the Mac, and the other end of the MIO1 to the VolcaFM. Then just route the MIDI in Ableton so that the Keystep controls the VolcaFM, and the Sysex program sends data over the MIO1 also.

If you are looking for a portable setup that does all of this AND you don’t want to use a computer, then you’ll need something more.

Thanks for your help!

I just thought if I have to buy a MIDI interface to get the SysEx files to the Volca FM I would like to buy one that enables me to play the OP-1 and the Volca FM with the Keystep without a computer as well…