New and confused. Connecting an Aira J-6

I’ve got both an OP-Z and a Roland Aira J-6. I don’t have an oplabs nor a line module. Does anyone know if I can send or receive midi between the two via USB (using an otg adapter I think)

I’m new to all of this so a lot of general advice is a bit over my head atm. If anyone could point me in the direction of any further reading on what I’m trying to do or help me out it would be much appreciated!

1 Like

to send or receive midi from the Z without using one of the modules
u just need a class compliant usb to midi adapter
they are pretty common

class compliant just means that it does not need any drivers installed to work
it just works out of the box.

most adapters will say whether or not they are class compliant.

2 Likes

Try connecting them with a USB-C to C cable. my OP-Z and Roland 404mk2 could be connected with just a USB cable.

3 Likes

ah didn’t realize this device had usb midi
that should work too

1 Like

Looking forward to getting one to use with the Blackbox.

Hello ! Have you got any updates on the situation ?
I have an OP-Z and a Roland E-4 (Aira compact Series), and i’d like to send audio From the E-4 to the OP-Z.
I have tried with an audio cable (From E-4 Mix out, to opz audio input) and with Usb C cable (the cable i bought is supposed to handle data transfer as mentioned in E-4 manual).
Both times i could not get the audio signal into the OP-Z,
Any idea how to do that ?
Thanks !

when you say you used an audio cable to go from the roland to opz, which input are you referring to? The trrs combo headphone input? or the trs input on the line module? Because the trrs input thats located near the usb port only accepts MIC level signals. Not line level. You need the line module installed to have line level inputs on the opz.

Or you can use some attenuator of some kind. Either an attenuation cable or line level to mic level small interface.

personally i use the opz LINE module. It’s great. Gives you stereo line inputs and outputs, and midi in/out. And you can change which tracks get routed to each of your outputs (with the module you have 2 stereo outputs now) so you can send certain tracks to external fx units and do a lot of cool stuff with that.