New Korg - Arp Desktops, Microkorg-S, Volca Kick

Oh, and as to ‘why not’… I can’t see any reason either, but for some reason so many have screwed it up previously :slight_smile:

Korg are killing it again, even though the Volca Kick demo did not have any sounds I liked (hard, harder, hardest!) I reckon it should be capable of smoother less “competitive” kicks also, so I will almost certainly grab one.

The Arp desktop is sure to be a huge seller, tempted but not sure if I need/can justify without selling some other monosynths first.

So much cool gear coming out these last few years, damn!

So, the stores in Japan are saying the 23rd as a release date. I’m probably going to snap one up. I’ve no idea why they are so cheap if they are using almost the same parts when the MiniMoog reissue is expensive. It worries me a little.

My main question is about the two desktop units that will be made available.
What is the difference between Rev 1 and Rev 3?

I can’t find any info on it. Maybe it’s just the change in colour? Maybe I should write them an email? What do you guys think? Anyway, Korg’s info is available here http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/arpodyssey_module/

It’s only the change of color, you’re right. They’re exactly the same, but this time they didn’t produce a golden version to keep the price low or the golden sold unwell.

Phew! Thanks a bunch for that my man! Gold would be alright for me… if I was Wanetta Slob’s love child! Hehe

It’s such a great synth. The SOS for the non-desktop review is really complimentary. It’s available here http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-arp-odyssey

I have a white Karp module on backorder, cannot wait!

Nice @insidestraight. You’ve made me realize I can order one and then pick it up on the day of release! Dangerous! Haha
I really want to get a Sub 37 but I won’t be getting that until sometime in the new year. I could pick up this little module that I’d love to have to tide my fetishes over.
What made you choose the white one?
(It’s a simple question that will no doubt have a simple answer but I just want to talk about these things for the sake of it).
This is an absolute classic! I’m so happy that they are reissuing it. I wouldn’t buy the original, I loved the VST but run a strict no computer rule, and the reissue with keyboard doesn’t bode well with me. This is placed perfectly for me - just like the boutiques! What’s your story with the synth @insidestraight?

Yeah I’m still on the fence with the one also. Love the module nature of this release and just want knob per function feedback from a proper classic analog synth. I have an Analog Keys and that is the heart of my rig, so throwing some CV trigs out to this bad boy and back into the AK effects would be a 6 voice monster setup. It’s just pretty big desktop wise, and I am a bit cramped already. To follow on with the above discussion, the white has stone cold classic vibe, however the black and red with the helevetica font matches the elektron vibe pretty well. Tough choice @HisMostDarxxxellent

I get ya @mec1, after replying to this thread I watched a video on YouTube and I was surprised at its size. It’s actually too big for the vacant space that I wanted it to fill. It makes me wonder about the weight of it too.
The CV connectivity will breath some viscously high brow life into an already accomplished synth. My initial thought regarding their size was slightly bigger that the boutiques. I’m sure I could juggle a few things around. My set up has benefited from a master midi controller. I can now sit the Minitaur on it and take the Octatrack from a stool and a couple of trainer boxes and place it in the other side. I am considering of ways to use the second tier and if I can get a couple of planks I can free up some space. But then I would have no place for the Sub 37 which is a definite purchase. I think. Hmmmm I love the gnarly caustic nature of the Odyssey - I want them both. I do not want to choose either one. The story continues… More thinking to be done…

Ok! Finally got round to checking out the specs. This beast is big, fat, and heavy! (A nod to the old junglist crew with my use of adjectives.)
Sound wise I will fit it in my set up and cherish it… for the foreseeable future it won’t play any part. It needs a shoe for its footprint and quite frankly my Japanese place doesn’t have a fit - despite my high sneaker count.
It has given me some focus. Less is more. (God, that is such a lie. I want to experiment and I love to experiment and I want this synth.)

Actually cannot wait to get my hands on Volca Kick, very interesting tiny box.