New Korg - Arp Desktops, Microkorg-S, Volca Kick

A handful of new things from Korg for fall 2016.

Arp Odyssey desktop modules. The white one sure is pretty.
http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/arpodyssey_module/

Volca Kick - analog kick generator. I’m excited about this. Even with my Machinedrum and other little drum machines I’ve been enjoying the Volca Beats again lately - so easy to add a beat onto anything thanks to sync (and darenager’s synclab board for oplab), but I’ve generally just been using its kick. Now there’s a dedicated kick machine. Same size and price as other Volcas. Looks like it has some new tricks in its sequencer and/or live play capabilities. I’ve been having fun with Volca Beats and the pocket operators (especially office) and I bet this would really be fun in that setup.
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_kick/

A new Microkorg version. It’s white and gold and I have a bit of a lust for white and silver synths (hello OP-1 fans!). New sounds, new internal speakers, ‘classic’ microKORG design. I’m actually happy to see this thing still being made after all these years. I thought the Minilogue would start bumping the Microkorg out of the lineup.
http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/microkorg_s/

ARP desktop for the same price as a Moog Mother-32, $100 more than a 0-Coast.

Instant want!!! It’s been said before, but what a great time to be into Synths. Analog semi modular is so affordable.

Holy cow! I missed the price on the Odyssey! $599 US! I want that white one even more badly now. Hm.

Oh man. By the time I pay off this upcoming trip I’m taking, all of this stuff will be available and we’ll probably have some more info about the OP-Z and Elektron’s got something coming… There may be some tough (but fun) choices up ahead.

Man, It’s sure interesting to see Korg really squeeze out product and milk their Volca line.

After Volca Kick maybe we can expect a Volca Filter, Volca Effects, Volca Snare, etc. They may be modeling after Waldorf & Vermona.

My heart skipped a beat at the sight of that white arp module, it shall be mine!

If Korg were to release a snare version also and maybe another perc based module they would be great for modular systems!
I already use trigs to step my volca sample, allowing huge variation on sounds as each trig is the next step, brilliant for random craziness too… And layering and and and etc

@Beardyjack what do you use to trigger your Volca Sample? I’ve not put too much effort but I haven’t had much luck triggering in time with my modules. I guess I should make sure my patch is hard synced in every direction.

I’ll try the 4MS multiplyer next go.

@Kites I’ve used Grids, trigs from Beatstep pro and also Branches with a Volca on one side and Monotribe on the other. 5v I believe is enough. Main trick is just getting the Korgs to go one step at a time with the global settings.
I’ve only done it a handful of times as I’m obsessed with making complete tracks in the system with only a mixer for obvious duties.
If Korg released the Volcas as eurorack modules…

Hell yes to the Volca Kick! I also dusted off my Beats over the weekend - ran it through an gentle overdrive and some spring reverb and it still sounds great. I’ve not done the snare mod yet but I actually dig the sound of the snare & clap together.

Beats, Sample and Kick together would be rhythm for days. Thrown Office into that mix and you have one serious percussion for any scenario.

TOTAL GAS.

I held off buying the Odyssey Remake for many reasons. Now, it seems like there is no escape. I really got SUPERB sounds out of the VST. I mean like staple sounds that I haven’t found anywhere else. BUT. I am starting to get the same noises I want from the JP-08. I need to explore more but I do have space for two modules with my new set up. Did anyone watch this https://youtu.be/Q5hgQTEf0mg
?

I’m surprised, in the wake of the OP-1’s success and acclaim, that some of the big players (Korg / Roland / Akai) haven’t tried to emulate it. The more you look at offerings from the “pro” audio guys, the more reasonable the OP-1’s price tag begins to look. I can see the major companies offering up something similar, but less elegant and more cheaply manufactured for maybe 500-600 USD.

I'm surprised, in the wake of the OP-1's success and acclaim, that some of the big players (Korg / Roland / Akai) haven't tried to emulate it. The more you look at offerings from the "pro" audio guys, the more reasonable the OP-1's price tag begins to look. I can see the major companies offering up something similar, but less elegant and more cheaply manufactured for maybe 500-600 USD.
Also been thinking this. TE really set the bar higher. Roland is like what we can add a few new FX And change the colour and release a new SP. I think the Novation Circuit is actually kind of somewhere between a PO/OPZ and OP1 and is dirt cheap.
Did anyone watch this https://youtu.be/Q5hgQTEf0mg ?
I did just now watch it and besides the massive amount of synths (especially the modular wall!) what really impressed me was how well organized everything was. Everything is plugged in and working but you barely see a cable anywhere. All nicely tucked away.
Man, It's sure interesting to see Korg really squeeze out product and milk their Volca line.

After Volca Kick maybe we can expect a Volca Filter, Volca Effects, Volca Snare, etc. They may be modeling after Waldorf & Vermona.

The Volca cowbell is sure to be a hit!

I'm surprised, in the wake of the OP-1's success and acclaim, that some of the big players (Korg / Roland / Akai) haven't tried to emulate it. The more you look at offerings from the "pro" audio guys, the more reasonable the OP-1's price tag begins to look. I can see the major companies offering up something similar, but less elegant and more cheaply manufactured for maybe 500-600 USD.
Also been thinking this. TE really set the bar higher. Roland is like what we can add a few new FX And change the colour and release a new SP. I think the Novation Circuit is actually kind of somewhere between a PO/OPZ and OP1 and is dirt cheap.

Agreed. I would have imagined something like the Electribes would have seemed like a more viable alternative to an OP-1, but it actually is the humble, screenless Circuit. I think a huge plus for the Circuit is that it’s very very approachable and simple – BUT! If you have a “master” sequencer, be it a DAW or an OT or anything, you can record sequences from the Circuit to your master sequencer for further editing if you so wish. This alone makes it that one step more integrateable(is that a word)… Really intrigued by the box.

Agreed. I would have imagined something like the Electribes would have seemed like a more viable alternative to an OP-1, but it actually is the humble, screenless Circuit. I think a huge plus for the Circuit is that it’s very very approachable and simple – BUT! If you have a “master” sequencer, be it a DAW or an OT or anything, you can record sequences from the Circuit to your master sequencer for further editing if you so wish. This alone makes it that one step more integrateable(is that a word)… Really intrigued by the box.

Managed to hold off grabbing a circuit so far but if they do an expanded mkii with onboard sampling, more knobs for synth parameters (Mininova UI would be sweet), polyphonic sample tracks, little screen for browsing/naming and decent memory I’ll be all over it. Looks fun/fast. Wouldn’t surprise me if they have something in the works at Novation…

That’s what I’ve been wondering… If they added all the features they can, would it still be the same, fun Circuit? Would they be able to pull off something that’s very similar in features to something like the Electribe 2 - and still keep it fun?

Circuit’s reliance on a computer to load and trim samples is what caused me to return it. A MkII w/ sampling functionality (and even a tiny waveform screen) would garner a re-purchase.

I’d also consider the Electribe Sampler If only the menu diving wasn’t so opaque.

That's what I've been wondering... If they added all the features they can, would it still be the same, fun Circuit? Would they be able to pull off something that's very similar in features to something like the Electribe 2 - and still keep it fun?

I don’t really see why not. They could keep it basic on the surface still but with more power underneath. And more synth parameter knobs can only be more fun in my eyes :wink: Onboard sampling is the main thing. I hate boxes that require import…kills the fun of just connecting turntable/YouTube and getting off the cuff.

Yeah, I can see why that’s a biggie for your style of working. For me, the Circuit is really interesting because it looks like a surprisingly versatile two 6-polyphony synths.

On top of that, I could load my own drum samples in the Circuit, maybe change the set every now and then – would not really be looking to do any ‘sampler’ work with the Circuit, should I end up going that way…