NEW OP-1: How to charge right?

In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.

I haven't made a thorough test anyway...

@eesn does my theory make any sense? maybe, there is an ideal device where it should be calibrated on?

In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.

@eesn does my theory make any sense? maybe, there is an ideal device where it should be calibrated on?

what do you mean “on the last device you made the calibration”? I charge the OP1 from whatever USB port I can find that has decent 0.5A and above output. the battery indicator should talk to the battery, I can’t see why the port I charge from should make any difference?

what do you mean “on the last device you made the calibration”? I charge the OP1 from whatever USB port I can find that has decent 0.5A and above output. the battery indicator should talk to the battery, I can’t see why the port I charge from should make any difference?

I didn’t make myself clear, sorry

When I charge on computer A, the behavior is different than when I do it on computer B. On the first one, the indicator shows completely charged in 15 minutes, on computer B, the indicator goes to full after almost two hours. In both cases the OP-1 begins charge when the battery is almost empty of charge (one light blinking)
This makes me think that the unit behaves correctly only on the unit where it was calibrated. In this case, computer B

I don’t know if it makes sense, but hopefully I made myself clear this time!

@bichuelo more often than not two different computers will provide a different maximum current over their USB ports. Standard says 500mA but in my accidental experience it’s all over the place - less and more. I.e. Battery would charge for different lengths of time

When the Op-1 has finished charging, should the led’s stop blinking and remain constant? I’ve had mine on charge for 14 hrs and the led’s are still blinking. Although I’ve just unplugged it to check the battery level. It shows a full charge but I know this may not be accurate. So, should the led’s stop blinking when fully charged? Cheers!

1 Like
When the Op-1 has finished charging, should the led’s stop blinking and remain constant? I’ve had mine on charge for 14 hrs and the led’s are still blinking. Although I’ve just unplugged it to check the battery level. It shows a full charge but I know this may not be accurate. So, should the led’s stop blinking when fully charged? Cheers!
Yes, on mine the leds stop blinking once it’s finished charging.

I don’t need 14h in order to do it (less) but I use my iPhone wall charger.

Thanks rumorazzi

I am in fact using my iPhone wall charger, which is why I thought it odd.

1 Like

@Konst and others wondering about resetting the charging LED’s after the OP battery has died and needs recharging — Here’s what works for me the few times my OP has gone unused for a few months and the battery is totally flat. I just performed this today using OS 225.

I’ll start by saying that for being 10 yrs old my OP battery is the best performing rechargeable device battery I own. It always impressed me that while an ipad in airplane mode and powered off on a full charge was dead in 2 weeks, the OP could still have most of a charge after several weeks.

Note that the LED’s cycle to display charging when the OP is OFF. When it’s ON, they are your VU meter, but you can check charge level while ON by pressing Info for a couple of seconds.

**AND ALSO NOTE: the battery level shown when you press Info can show 100% even if the battery needs another 3 hours of charging if it was totally dead. So, the best option is to continue charging during step #11 until the LED's go dark. Then 100% will really = 100%.**

My charger is a 2013 10W/2A ipad charger. 1Amp iPhone charger should work for this process too. but probably takes longer to charge

1. Uncover your buried OP-1, switch on to discover the battery is totally dead. Not even a flicker of life on the LEDs. What to do!? (proceed to #2)

2. Make sure power switch is in the OFF position (pushed back, closest to the USB port). Plug in to charger (leave connected until step 9). You should see LEDs cycle 1-2 times and then probably go dark. *** I avoid charging from a computer USB port when coming off a dead battery to prevent any weird plug n play issues.

3. Continue to Charge for 2 minutes; Make sure the volume knob is around 11 o’clock (to avoid loud pops), then switch it on. It may take longer than usual to show the boot screen but should then boot normally.

4. Switch to Tape mode and press play, then stop. Change to Synth mode, select patch 1 and play a few notes. Then switch it off again and let it keep charging for 30 minutes.

5. Switch it on again, go to Tape mode and play for a few seconds, then stop. Go to Album mode and play side A for a few seconds then stop.

6. Change to Synth mode and Press the Info button; then toggle Mic on and off.

7. Change back to Tape mode, find an empty spot on one of your tracks and record some notes to tape for 10+ seconds, then play it back and watch the VU meter/Charge LED’s show your playback levels. Switch to Synth mode again, then power off the OP.

8. OP-1 charge LED’s should now be cycling normally from bottom to the top (red) LED. Continue charging for 1 hour.

9. Unplug USB cable from OP-1, then switch it on.

10. Switch to Tape mode, then back to Synth mode and press the Info button to see charge level - Some of the LEDs should be lit now.

11. Your OP-1 charge LED’s should now be working normally. With the OP off connect it to the USB charge again and you should see the charge lights cycle normally until it’s fully charged (another 3-4 hours on mine if starting with a totally flat battery).

That’s it. :slight_smile: Now the charge LED’s work while your OP-1 is switched off and charging. Not all these steps are required, but that’s my process.

Optional steps if your OP-1 has had a dead battery for many months.
You might want to charge fully, then use it for 8+ hours to drain it down again until pressing Info shows just 1 charge LED (and let a tape loop play until the battery dies), then with it switched off, plug it in, make sure the charge LED’s are cycling normally, and charge for 4 hours or until the LEDs indicate a full charge or go out.

1 Like

Note, make sure the OP1 is on during the 6-8 hour charging.

** I FOUND A SHORTCUT TO THE BATTERY CALIBRATION RESET** while performing this recently on my OP-1 (gen1).

My old 11 step post is too old to edit, so I’ll append it here.

1. Read and follow battery recalibration info in the new OP-1 guide (sect. 11.3) OP-1 guide: help - tip: leave the OP-1 in On position after batt drains dead. It needs to be On to recalibrate the battery sensor. It will charge while off but won’t recalibrate.

2. While you are draining the battery, after about 4-5 hours try pressing the Info button to see if the VU meter now works. If the bottom LED is still blinking keep draining it another 1-2 hours, then test battery meter again. ---- When I discovered this shortcut I had a fully charged battery (charged overnight) but the meter was only blinking the bottom LED. I left it on to drain the battery, expecting it to take 8+ hours, but about half way thru I began using the OP1 for some recording and noticed the battery meter was working again. At that point I charged it while on using my laptop for another 2 hours. Then when I tested the Info button meter it showed a full charge! Cutting about half the time off from the whole process.

3. If this works for any one else please let us know.

WARNING: OP-1 OG has OLED screen, leaving it on with a static image may cause burn-in!

1 Like

Question: When the OP1 is turned ON, the unit seems to be charging forever (only up the three first green dots though). But is it actually charging? When turned OFF and charging it takes a couple of hours before the meter stops to blink, and i guess it is fully charged.
I thought I’d fully charged it but only after a couple of minutes of use it shut off. And only turned on again after a bit of plugging/unplugging with the usb/charging-cable.
This behaviour started after it had not been used for a long time, possible a year (and I think the power switch was ON the whole time).

In that case you probably have to charge it a couple of times and atLeast for a day because your battery is almost dead . You have to use the op-1 just like an iPhone or iPad. And charge it once-in a while to keep the battery fit.

Right. Im doing the recalibrate routine now to see if it helps. It has been left on for almost 24 hours now so I guess the battery is still alive and kicking

Yes keep it charging for a few days and maybe it comes back to life.

What works for my v2 op-1:

Kill battery completely. If you wanna have fun with it, turn on tombola and your favorite patch, play a chord or scale and enjoy a digital wind chime for the next several hours.

1. Completely discharge the battery
  2. Switch off OP-1
  3. Plug into a known good usb power supply.
  4. Let charge for 5 minutes
  5. Switch on OP-1 and boot fully to the tape screen
  6. Power off OP-1
  7. Wait an eternity for charge to complete. It may take over 24 hours, possibly longer.
  8. Once lights stop flashing and go out, charge is complete.
  9. Remove usb cable and switch on OP-1
  10. Make a sick celebratory groove and enjoy your function battery meter.

Last time I used an apple 1 amp cube, you know the one. You probably have one stuck in a couch or under your bed. Check the spare tire compartment of your car, there’s probably one there, too. Anyway, that took like a full day and a half. 36-48 hrs of just chillin on the counter. This was after I realized on the plane it was dead and used a power bank to limp it along for an hour.

The first time was after I bought it used and was confused about how to charge the thing because I couldn’t get a full battery.

lithium batteries may discharge past a particular point from which it’s very hard to return. don’t let your OP1 do that.

some chargers, like Apple’s, may act opinionated about the device you’re trying to charge. For example an iPad charger takes much longer to charge my USB powerbank than an iPhone one does.

here’s what works for my OP1:

• I’ve turned off charging while playing so I can use it on USB without the digital noise, and also that way I have some control over when it charges.
  • I charge it only using the TE cable it came with. It’s a “trick” I learned from a USB drive that would fail to power on with some cables. Cables do matter!
  • Whenever possible, I plug it directly into a computer USB drive, then turn off the OP1 so it starts charging, and leave it there to charge. It was designed in 2011, helps to keep things simple.
  • If no computer USB, stick to a charger that is known to work, and only use that.