NEW OP-1: How to charge right?

got mine new OP-1 delivered today and as it is written in the manual:

»the first thing you should do is to connect your OP-1 to a computer (or optional charger) via the USB port located on the right side of the unit. make sure to keep your OP-1 connected until you have fully charged the internal battery.«

pressing the HELP-button doesnt work when the unit is switched off, right? for now, the unit is still blinking and doesnt react when i press the HELP-button. it is loading for an hour now, as i read in other threads it can take from 2-6 hours, right?

how to make sure that the battery is full without switching it on to press the HELP-button?

or can i switch it on while loading and the important fact is that it is loading, no matter if switched on or off?

thanks

1 Like

The charging indicator lights on mine all stay lit up for a few minutes, then totally shut off when charging is complete. FYI if you are charging from a USB on a computer it will take FOREVER. Mine takes 6-8 hours to charge from almost empty to full on USB, but if I plug into my iPhone wall plug its only about an hour or two.

Also, on the previous software the battery level indicator (found by pressing “help” when the unit is on, as you said) was broken, but seems to be working on the new update. When I first got it the charge level lights worked fine, but after one or two charges they just always showed two lights no matter what. Now that its updated its working fine again.

Just know that if it does this its not a big deal, it still holds the same charge. You can get a ton of usage out of a single charge.

My experience is that in order to get a more or less accurate indication of battery level, you always have to charge the device only when it is turend on. If you charge it in when powered off, the battery level indicator gets out of sync.

Has it been improved? I don’t find it optimal for battery lifetime charging it while in use.

Best home addition I’ve done in a while. OP-1 fully charged in less than 2 hrs.

https://jet.com/product/detail/7da71db941d04095b097850c58c8bc5e?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_electronics_a3:electronics_accessories_power_a3_other:na:PLA_348771540_24231156180_pla-161679060060:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=cwin_electronics_a3&ds_cid=&ds_ag=electronics_accessories_power_a3_other&product_id=7da71db941d04095b097850c58c8bc5e&product_partition_id=161679060060&gclid=CjwKEAiAjvrBBRDxm_nRusW3q1QSJAAzRI1ts_Ds7xq2ZPG_NaP87_De-cjjMYtzjomOXTQqZEXeKBoCOojw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mine just arrived also :wink: it’s ok to use it while it’s charging for the first time right ?

Really want to go through all the manual…

did you also grab one from amazon during the price-glitch last week?

i charged the op-1 the first time switched off over night with usb from mac and everything works fine now.

Grabbed from thomann.

I charged it while using and reading the manual, couldn’t resist. I guess it’s no problem it will be used like that a lot so…
Grabbed from thomann.

OFF topic:
From thomann? Hey, is your device perfect? To be honest I ordered two hardwares from thomann, both had issues. The first one (an Octatrack) had to be returned for a refund immediately as it had no output. I ordered an OP-1 instead of a replacement, and the screen on it is “smudgy”. But it works otherwise :slight_smile:

I was wondering if anyboby could tell me if leaving your OP-1 charging for an extended period of time (say 15 hours) will damage your battery by shortening its life.

Define “perfect” ahah…I guess it’s far from perfect but I was already expecting that. Only thing I noticed mechanically was that one of the D and G buttons have a different click feel to it.

Besides that I noticed yesterday that I can ear some high pitched audio with the built-in microphone, something similar to the sound of a screen working on my microgranny or tascam DR-40 on the previous firmware.

I don’t think I noticed anything else hardware related…software I’m yet to be able to make perfect loops without clicking and most times when I lift some audio it will leave some clicks and pops that I must record silence over it and lift-drop again to erase them.

Regarding the battery, there’s a lot of threads around speculating about it. I think I will keep mine charging most of the time except when I’m using it as a tool in the studio for audio manipulation because of the ground loop.

Regarding the battery, there's a lot of threads around speculating about it. I think I will keep mine charging most of the time except when I'm using it as a tool in the studio for audio manipulation because of the ground loop.

I wouldn’t suggest you to always charge the battery as it shortens its lifetime significantly as far as I know.

1 Like

The battery indicator issue hasn’t been improved in #218 yet. I started charging in power off mode when only one led was lit. I charged it fully up. However turning the device on again still one led is lit :smiley: I have to re-calibrate the battery level indicator again.

Guys, need halp. I’m trying to calibrate battery of OP-1, and it shows some random results. When I discharge OP-1 till it’s dead, and then connect it to charge, leds show “full charge” (fill up and go dark) right after I connect it to usb. Is it a normal thing and I just need to wait till its fully charged? Previously OP-1 was showing “pinging” battery life (on “help” press) for 10 hours. :<div>

upd: okay, it now shows charging with “walking” indicators. Little bastard creeps me out everytime.

I drained the battery completely empty and just wanted to charge it again using my iPad adapter. Problem: the led indicators don’t move at all, no matter if it’s on or off. So is it charging now?

I drained the battery completely empty and just wanted to charge it again using my iPad adapter. Problem: the led indicators don't move at all, no matter if it's on or off. So is it charging now?

Yeah, when it’s fully discharged it might need some time so they start blinking

In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.

I haven’t made a thorough test anyway…
Best home addition I've done in a while. OP-1 fully charged in less than 2 hrs.

https://jet.com/product/detail/7da71db941d04095b097850c58c8bc5e?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_electronics_a3:electronics_accessories_power_a3_other:na:PLA_348771540_24231156180_pla-161679060060:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=cwin_electronics_a3&ds_cid=&ds_ag=electronics_accessories_power_a3_other&product_id=7da71db941d04095b097850c58c8bc5e&product_partition_id=161679060060&gclid=CjwKEAiAjvrBBRDxm_nRusW3q1QSJAAzRI1ts_Ds7xq2ZPG_NaP87_De-cjjMYtzjomOXTQqZEXeKBoCOojw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dis link no worky.

What’s the product?

Guys, need halp. I'm trying to calibrate battery of OP-1, and it shows some random results. When I discharge OP-1 till it's dead, and then connect it to charge, leds show "full charge" (fill up and go dark) right after I connect it to usb. Is it a normal thing and I just need to wait till its fully charged? Previously OP-1 was showing "pinging" battery life (on "help" press) for 10 hours. :\

upd: okay, it now shows charging with "walking" indicators. Little bastard creeps me out everytime.

my op battery indicators don’t ping flash until it’s been charging for an hour or so. Flashes when I plug it in and then not again for a while until it goes dark again when fully charged

weakest point of the OP1 for sure. mine (218) gets stuck at 3 dots and then the bottom dot may flash for ages before it actually runs out of juice. tried recalibrating yesterday but it wouldn’t charge past the 4th dot now. annoying.