New to OP-1, Help? :(

as the title states, i’m completely new to this thing… have ZERO idea what i am doing… i’m currently reading through the manual, but… is there possibly a way someone could point me to a playlist on YT or something of the sort that will help me to get acquainted with it in a more intuitive way? I’m very much a visual learner so needless to say as well organized as the manual is… i do much better learning from watching.

i dont have any links to share
but what really helped me was just focusing on one aspect at a time
until i felt comfortable then moved on to another.

like mess around with just the SYNTH.
start with engines and the main page.
then add FX. then add LFO.
then mess with the different SEQUENCERs

then do the same with DRUM. then TAPE. then whatever else u wanna get into.
as u learn more aspects, other aspects will come easier,
and then u can start putting them together as u go.

it can be a lil overwhelming all at once so breaking it down was def helpful
tape took me awhile to get my head around but once i did it was awesome.

2 Likes

teenage engineering has a video for each section of the manual. this is the first in the series…

2 Likes

ok awesome thanks for the advice :smiley: I have been doing just that for the past i dont know now… 5 hours straight… is it dark already??? LOL man this thing is AMAZING!

1 Like

oh MAN! i did a bunch of just tweaking around as per docshermansticks suggested and i was just about to put it down for the night… nope. does NOT look like that’s happening any time soon lol Thanks so much for the help!

like mess around with just the SYNTH.
start with engines and the main page.
then add FX. then add LFO.
then mess with the different SEQUENCERs

then do the same with DRUM. then TAPE. then whatever else u wanna get into.
as u learn more aspects, other aspects will come easier,
and then u can start putting them together as u go.

i can tell this should be the only manual for the Op-1, 8 years later nothing of this got old or boring. dunno

1 Like

A very cool way to get better at OP-1 is to participate to battles. Next one should start soon, check it!
(And give your vote to current one)

1 Like

Recently purchased this guide book real cheap and breaks down each section I wish it covered samples more through in more granular detail.

I just got an OP1 as well, still attempting to make a decent layered composition. I found a lot of ties back to principle synth jargon and such, just way more user friendly and simplistic. I truly believe mastering the intricacies of the OP1 is key to success. Dive deep and learn each tool. I have been spending about a day on each synth machine just fooling around and such. I am person that must know the ins and outs and then I let myself free with knowledge.

1 Like

Oh man, I skimmed through some of the pages there and it’s definitely looking like a maybe for me :slight_smile: thanks for the resource.

I have the old version, the op-1 cookbook. It’s nice.