Newb question - Where do my SYNTH samples go (220)?

EDIT: I got drum samples to import and show up (see below), but still can't figure out where my synth patches end up. Any help is appreciated!

---

Recently got OP-1 (220 firmware) and I cannot figure out where loaded drum kits show up. Here's what I'm doing (tried in OSX and Windows 10):
- Downloaded some kits from the TE library page, such as: https://soundcloud.com/teenageengineering/sets/thomas-white
- Went into disk mode, went to /drum folder, created new folder called kits
- Copied files into there, e.g. djtw_tr727.aif. So I have: /drum/kits/djtw_tr727.aif
- Exited disk mode and went to OP-1 mode by pressing 1
- OP-1 reset, and I got messages for each file, e.g. "New: /drum/kits/sjtw_tr727.aif. Created drum patch."
- I pressed any key to continue
- I pressed drum mode key, then shift-1 to bring up the list.
- I have DBOX and DRUM. Selected DRUM.
- Scrolled through list with green encoder, and I only see the factory stuff (e.g. ACETATE, ALLSPICE, etc.). No djtw_tr727, no kits, nothing else.

I think the TE library files should be in the proper AIF format, etc. (and the OP-1 says it created the drum patch so it should be OK), so I don't think it's an issue with the files being bad.

I'm sure I'm just stupid but I can't figure out where my drum kits are going...Help!

TIA...

1 Like

OP-1 doesn’t like subfolders. Put the files directly into the drum folder, or create a new one in the root folder next to drum/synth/album/…

The OP-1 is smart enough to identify the patches as synth or drum.

Thanks for your reply. I tried putting things directly in the root folder, but that didn’t work. However, I dumped a bunch of files into the /drums folder and that did the trick! I now have a bunch of new drum kits when I go to Drum Mode > shift+1 to select engine > select DRUM with blue encoder > my new kits show up when I scroll with the green encoder. Yay!

I also noticed that some of the kits I downloaded were (I think) synth patches, so when I put them in the /drums folder it caused ALL following files to fail, even additional valid drum kits. So basically it seems if the OP-1 fails to create a drum kit from a file, all following files fail no matter what.

I’ll need to experiment more with synth patches. I put them in /synth and it said it created a synth patch, but when I go to synth mode > sampler and scroll through the list I don’t see the patches.

Anyway, thanks for your help on the drum kits. Super excited about that! Will work on synth kits some more tomorrow…

I think you may be pressing shift & T1 (of the T1-4 keys) to change engine only. Where you want to press shift & 1-8 keys to load presets and snapshots into 1-8 memory keys.

I think you may be pressing shift & T1 (of the T1-4 keys) to change engine only. Where you want to press shift & 1-8 keys to load presets and snapshots into 1-8 memory keys.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am doing shift+T1 (the 1 key under the display) and selecting the sampler with the blue encoder and then scrolling through factory default patches with the green encoder. My new patches that the OP-1 said were successful loaded are not in the list.

I tried doing shift + 1 (the 1 under the blue encoder) and it was exactly the same. Use blue encoder to select sampler, green encoder to select patch, but none of the synth patches I loaded showed up.

I also noticed that when I reconnected in disk mode, the OP-1 moved my patch from /synth/djtw_moog1.aif to /synth/synth/djtw_moog1.aif. Still cannot load it though.

So…what are you guys doing to select your new synth patch when you load it onto your OP-1? What am I missing?

Hey man, I’m pretty sure any synths you load in should appear in the “snapshots” folder, rather than the “sampler” folder. I don’t have my OP1 to check RN but think that’s the way it works.

Hey man, I'm pretty sure any synths you load in should appear in the "snapshots" folder, rather than the "sampler" folder. I don't have my OP1 to check RN but think that's the way it works.

OK, will give that a try tonight! Thanks!

Hey man, I'm pretty sure any synths you load in should appear in the "snapshots" folder, rather than the "sampler" folder. I don't have my OP1 to check RN but think that's the way it works.
Based on your suggestion I think I *finally* figured this out. I wish the OP-1 guide was better since I could not find this anywhere.

There are 2 key details here:
- When you copy your samples into /synth, the OP-1 makes presets and puts them in /synth/synth.
- To load the samples, you have to do shift+1 or shift+8, etc. (not shift + the 1 key under the display) and use the blue encoder to select "synth". Your samples show up in the green list.

(I wonder if I create a folder called /synth/blah if "blah" would show up in the blue list alongside sampler, snapshots, synth, etc.? Will have to try this.)

This is different that drum kits, where you put drum kit samples in /drums and then they show up by selecting drum mode, doing shift+1 (the 1 under the display for the first tape track), selecting Drum and then the new drum kits show up in the green list.

Anyway, thanks everyone who gave me the clues to be able to figure this out. Really excited to finally get to spend some time with the OP-1 actually making music instead of trying to figure out how to get samples loaded...! I'm really not a fan of this "minimalist" documentation thing...
1 Like

you should be able to put your presets in folders within /drum and /synth

i don’t have 220 so maybe something is different but i’ve done this like a million times.

the difference between shift+T1 (under the screen) and shift+1-8 (hotkeys/tape tricks) has been like this for a few iterations now.

shift+T1 allows you to switch the engine only while retaining all your current synth settings.
while shift+1-8 is for loading/navigating your presets.

hope that clears some of this confusion up.

OH docshermsticks, You helped me sooo much! Thanks

always happy to help :hamburger:

thank goodness I came across this