No Default iOS External Display Behavior?

I’m trying to use the iOS app with an external display in exactly the way suggested by the OP-Z manual, i.e. viewing the Motion track output on the display and the OP-Z controls on the iPhone.
I cannot get ANY signal to the external display without enabling screen mirroring on the iPhone, but with screen mirroring enabled I can only see the Motion output on the external display by navigating to the Motion screen in the OP-Z app. I get no output at all to the external display when I’m on the OP-Z control screen in the OP-Z app.
I’ve tried connecting the display using both the HDMI dongle and an ad-hoc wifi network created by my projector, same results with both. I’m on iOS 15.1, has something changed that prevents the OP-Z app from displaying without screen monitoring enabled? The manual says nothing about enabling screen monitoring, seems like you’re supposed to just connect the display to the phone and go…
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hey there,

I’ve had the same issue this weekend, trying to get the OP-Z app display to my PC (I’m thinking about streaming it on Twitch).

I think what’s happened is that iOS/iPadOS display mirroring has gone from being (in some earlier iOS version) a pure copy of the device display, to something more sophisticated that lets apps say “hey, instead of stupidly mirroring this media to the other display as it appears on the i-device screen, regardless of its native characteristics (resolution, aspect ratio, etc), here’s the actual video – let the display format it however it would normally format video of this format.” In general, this is a plus, since it leads to more flexible output when there is an outgoing media stream.

But for the OP-Z app, which treats the “motion” display as a full-screen video, iOS says: okay, so let’s mirror this video here to the display, rather than what’s visible on the i-device. (You’ll notice that when you’re actually using motion, you don’t see the bar at the bottom of the app that appears on the device itself – you just see the video, as rendered above that bar in the app). And that seems to be the case regardless of what part of the app you’re using. (I didn’t try switching to the main UI part of the app while using motion; maybe you can use both at the same time – that’s a conceivable benefit of this, at any rate).

So the question becomes: is there a way to mirror the actual display of the i-device to the PC or airplay output, rather than to use this fancy screen mirroring mode?

In general, yes. There is a way to “broadcast” the screen, which uses the iOS “screen recorder” functionality rather than its AirPlay screen mirroring functionality. But accessing this requires an app that’s going to enable it. I’m not sure what the best app for this is, but I did find one: Zoom.

Yes: the best way I could find to get my OP-Z app to display on my PC’s screen (for rebroadcast via OBS) was to start a Zoom meeting, have my iPad join it, and then share the iPad’s screen with the meeting – a feature which uses the aforementioned “screen broadcast” functionality rather than AirPlay mirroring. The result is just OK – it’s a little jumpy, and not particularly hi-res, at least without a paid Zoom account (not sure if a Pro account comes with higher-res sharing, I’m just guessing). But it works!

Anyway, Teenage Engineering, please make your OP-Z app broadcastable via some built-in means, so that people can stream the use of your product! Thanks <3

1 Like