No sound :/

I’ve read a bunch of threads about this. Just had first taste of it. Jammed on OP last night with headphones. Battery died. Removed headphones and charged battery. Just turned it on and no sound from internal speaker. Removed USB and switched off and now it’s OK. Jeez, this thing is pretty flakey…

Hoping it’s all down to being Beta OS. But after reading other people’s comments on losing sound etc, I’m just really confused why TE are still using the same socket connectors etc if this is basically par for the course with them… Gotta say that so far I love the OP for its creative side but the build quality control/software glitches etc is kind of a joke for something so expensive that’s already had a lot of post-release time to iron things out… Hopefully it can all be fixed via software and the new offical OS makes it solid. Amazing, amazing little box of tricks but I feel sketched out like it’s going to break and need more money spent on it at some point for sure…

I understand your concern and confusion with the instrument you’ve dropped cash on.
I think the speaker thing is to do with the headphone socket still detecting something.
This did wear off with mine very quickly.
The boutiqueness means some minor imperfections but some heavey long term bonus.Like a super funky hand made top ,who’s zip has initial problem connecting ,but is easily replaceable if it fails.There’s some loose cotton an stitches ,but the wealth of hidden pockets an style makes up for it. It seems built for longevity too.
I’m sure you’ll grow to love this little magic wand of music.

@Spheric_El
haha, nice clothing comparison :wink: I already love it, just worried it’s going to die pretty quickly and cost money that I don’t have soon after the warranty ends :frowning:
Would be a nice reassurance to have the Elektron 3 year warranty… Strangest bipolar honeymoon period I’ve ever had with any hardware so far…
All cool tho, beside the repair it needed it’s mostly paranoia I think. Seems like I’ve hit a lot of the rare problems/glitches within the first month of ownership/first few days of solid use. Hopefully just bad luck and won’t see them again for a while…

P. S. Might seem like I’m fully hating on the OP… Not true, friend of mine bought one last night after me taking it to his house and jamming. It’s an amazing box of tricks. Just not convinced about build quality/price ratio so far. Guess times will tell…

build quality/price ratio is pretty dire. on the other hand, it’s a great instrument pretending to be a toy. or vice versa, depending on your mindset.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

There ARE a number of quirks with the current official OS that you get used to of which this is one. The first time you shit yourself (especially given the cost) but then realise all the units have them so you end up not worrying:

• Burst of static / noise on power on
  • Wonky LEDs
  • Sometimes doesn't power on with USB plugged in
  • Sometimes doesn't power on until charged for a bit (if battery dead)
  • Little burst of noise at end of album
  • Inconsistent MIDI connection
  • Glitches of audio left on tape after lifting
  • Pops and clicks when looping in tape

Thankfully, with the exception of the pops and clicks when looping on tape, none of these quirks lose your work or affect live performance. I am more worried about the issue of losing lifted tape tracks as reported elsewhere, which is in the Beta OS.

@Spheric_El haha, nice clothing comparison ;) I already love it, just worried it's going to die pretty quickly and cost money that I don't have soon after the warranty ends :( (...)

You read, that installing a new speaker cost me only € 23,- right!?

@Spheric_El haha, nice clothing comparison ;) I already love it, just worried it's going to die pretty quickly and cost money that I don't have soon after the warranty ends :( (...)

You read, that installing a new speaker cost me only € 23,- right!?

Speakers/keys/keybed/sockets… All potentially adds up… Just not really in to instantly being preoccupied with what I’m reading as almost ‘inevitable’ repairs after spending £650 on something. My Casio sk5 from the 80s still going strong! Speaker and all :wink: Sounds like I just had bad luck so far though and nothing to stress over :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention I needed a new in / out board, bought from iFixit for £50. :S

Apart from that.... all good.

It seems that lot of operators had issues with I/O Board, was there known problem on some OP-1 series about that ?

This doesn’t sound like a hardware issue to me, as much as an issue with the firmware not recognizing that there has been a change with the plugged in headphones. My Macbook Pro does this sometimes too, depending on whether there are headphones plugged in before or after booting.