Note cutting

hi
Recently using an opz, i face something very annoying
I’ve created a couple of patterns and sometimes I notice a sort of cut on the 1st note of the pattern when I stack sevral tracks
For example i put a kick, hihat, bass on the 1st step, and when I record a chord (2 or 3 notes together) i heard a sort of cut as all the notes are not capable to play together.
Does someone face the same problem?, is it. related to the max polyphony?

Thanks for your help

Hey there! I’ve noticed the same thing! And was wondering the same. Hopefully it’s something that can be fixed with a bug fix. How are you liking it otherwise?

Hmm.
Could increasing the advance for notes on that step be a workaround?
I’ve never run into this issue, but I’ve not got many notes going on at the same time.

Hi! I am experiencing the same issue. From what I understand, it is usually either the Bass or the Chords which are cut off, and what seems to trigger it is mostly Arp or Lead played live (I haven’t really tried with recorded Arp and lead, as it was already messed up when jamming live). This happens on complicated and dense projects.

Could it be some kind of “auto-limiter” to avoid having too much low (or high) frequencies? Either that or there are too many notes played overall at the same time (which would be a bummer).

By the way, does anyone now if there is some kind of automatic mastering on the OP-Z ? Everything seems to come out nicely without having to spend too much time tweaking the filters.

Thanks !

@wam said:
Hi! I am experiencing the same issue. From what I understand, it is usually either the Bass or the Chords which are cut off, and what seems to trigger it is mostly Arp or Lead played live (I haven’t really tried with recorded Arp and lead, as it was already messed up when jamming live). This happens on complicated and dense projects.

Could it be some kind of “auto-limiter” to avoid having too much low (or high) frequencies? Either that or there are too many notes played overall at the same time (which would be a bummer).

By the way, does anyone now if there is some kind of automatic mastering on the OP-Z ? Everything seems to come out nicely without having to spend too much time tweaking the filters.

Thanks !

True. It sounds damn well placed, everything “glued” together.

Check the master compressor settings and/or drive settings. I’ve noticed that sometimes the compressor is on by default and it causes some of the bigger kicks in my kits to blow out the rest of the sound (kinda cool sometimes though!).

@pselodux said:
Check the master compressor settings and/or drive settings. I’ve noticed that sometimes the compressor is on by default and it causes some of the bigger kicks in my kits to blow out the rest of the sound (kinda cool sometimes though!).

I’m new to music, so compression and mastering is still unfamiliar to me. When should I use compression on my tracks? What does it actually do?

I can’t really speak about compression/mastering right now, both are very deep topics that a few paragraphs won’t do justice, and I’ve only just started to get an idea of how to use compression properly in the past year or so myself. Have a look at some online guides, they’ll provide better knowledge than I can!

The OP-Z compressor, though, is accessed using the yellow encoder while holding the mixer button. It’s a fairly basic application of a compressor, but essentially, any loud sounds will “duck” the audio so it doesn’t go over a certain level. For example, if your bass is too loud, it’ll cause everything else to duck. This can also happen with inaudible sounds, ie. if your bass goes below the lowest frequency your speakers can produce, it’ll still affect the compressor.

Having said all that though, I quickly played with a few patterns tonight, and noticed that turning the synth group up too high in the mixer page caused the sound to cut out… so I wonder if it’s got some kind of automatic temporary mute for when the sound gets too wild…?

I experienced similar note cutting, in particular cutting of the release tail of custom aif synth samples when “too much was going on” in my christmas song (https://youtu.be/EaASTq5taIg).

I can consistently reproduce several distinct instances of note cutting depending on the complexity of the current pattern (8 bar chord progression on a nice bass pattern together with synth sample voices and effects). I think it’s a sign of reaching the limits of processing power.

I also found combinations where the 1st trig at the start of a custom synth pattern failed to load in time and the voice would set in only at the 2nd trig. Workaround: add a silent ghost note with the same voice on the previous pattern, then the synth is already pre-loaded. Of course only works if the previous track was silent.

Hi. Thanks for you’r Sharings. On my side this issue seems to have been solved after updating on the most recent firmware. Hopefully it will not happen again cause it was bite annoying

Hi, I’m still feeling some kind of cut off in my patterns; is anyone else still experiencing the same issue?

If you’re playing stretched out 4+ bar lines, the step resolution is lowered on the patterns, so that reduces the actions that can happen within each step segment. I would recommend chaining patterns and using mutes to see if you can find what track/effect modulation is eating up the polyphony. Pull down track/master volume, master compression, master track saturation/stereo width, avoid step components, turn down release, delay, reverb, and use step recording only to see if you find the offending track.