OB-4: Crack in tape button

I’m wondering if someone has the same issue: the first OB-4 I received had a crack in the tape button. I returned it and received a new one. Same issue a crack in the tape button. Hugely disappointed. My first TE product and had high expectations. The first question that came to mind was: how can this pass the quality check? Seems like a failure in production? I can go for a third try but I have big doubts. Anyone has the same issue?

I found 2 people with the same issue on Reddit: Reddit - Dive into anything

Don’t have the issue on mine, as far as I can tell.
Do you have a picture?

Here you can see the crack. It looks the same as the second one I received.

1 Like

Here is the second OB-4 same kind of crack as you can see.

1 Like

Damn.
That’s incredibly painful to see.

What did TE Support said, if you don’t mind me asking?

With the first crack, they were very helpful and suggested sending a new one straight away. I received the second one today (so no response from TE yet), but finding out that also the second one has a crack is very disappointing. With a brand like TE and the quality of products they produce, you would expect a thorough quality check before packaging. The crack is quite obvious, so it’s not something you overlook that easily.

1 Like

I gotta say, this one is puzzling.
And they should be helpful. Not exactly the kind of stuff you make up.

First, I’d ask for a compensation of sorts (10% off something, a free protection bag or something).
Then, I’d be patient. I’m guessing these are not the first units affected by such defect. At some point, they will probably check themselves before sending.

When things like that happen and when budget permits it, I often ask for a full refund and repurchase a new unit. Makes warranty a breeze. There are no limits for replacement units and whatnot.

As for the defect in itself, I’d suggest some QC issue. Or a defective lot of pots. Or some kind of issue somewhere in between the factory and TE’s storage.

2 Likes

Two black units new both with cracked tape wheel exact same pattern on each. Ordered a third hesitantly and so far seems good to go.

2 Likes

Had some screen issues with the op1 field. Third unit right now. Convinced myself it was the good one.

1 Like

Interesting (albeit saddening) to see this happening on the OB. My unit developed a ‘crease’ on the tape wheel after a year or so. Never abused, and as other users know, you need no pressure on the wheel, just lightly skim it to scroll.
Does it just pop-off (with penknife leverage)? Anyone tried?

Other (less common) things to look out for is a warped top plate. Mine curls up to the corners. More concerning is the low frequency white-noise warble that can be heard through every mode.

TE doesn’t have a ‘quality check’ my friend. Fingers crossed you get a 100% good OB!

2 Likes

Mine is 2 months old and still no defect. But I wary of these faulty devices still being sold.

1 Like

Having that raised volume knob so close to the tape dial is just another thing I think of when I read someone deeming TE as a bunch of genius’. Hands up those who have never accidentally boosted the volume to annoying levels when messing around with the tape scrub!

2 Likes

I returned my OB-4 and decided a refund. After 2 cracks in the tape dial and reading stories of all the issues people encounter I just lost my fade a bit in the TE brand. :pensive:

2 Likes

I guess no-one can blame you at that point. I almost lost faith too. Three OP1 Fields is not acceptable. And the third is not even pristine.
A broken PO.
And horror stories all over the place…
I dunno.
I can certainly understand why you decided on a refund.
I think I’m speaking for everyone in here when I say I do hope TE sorts these QC issues out.
The OP-Z bend, the OP1(F) failures, the OB-4 defects, the POs issues…
I was about to pull the trigger on the whole Field ecosystem. And then, I came to the realization that TE didn’t even managed to make a coherent ecosystem. Sample Rates, multi -track recording, charging issues, unavailable ports…non-sense for a 6000ish ecosystem.

So yeah.
I feel you.

Here’s hope they win you back someday!

2 Likes

My interpretation of the TE (Teenage Engineering) brand initially aligned with that of a brand like Vitsoe. I purchased Vitsoe’s 606 Universal Shelving System, which, to me, epitomizes the pinnacle of engineering and aesthetics. From the seamless ordering process to the personalized advice, down to receiving a package complete with all installation tools—including a level for precise placement—the attention to detail is impeccable. This exhaustive thoughtfulness has contributed to Vitsoe’s 60-year success story.

For perspective, the 606 Universal Shelving System costs 740 EUR. Designed to last a lifetime, it’s also modular, allowing for future expansion to meet evolving needs. On the other hand, the OB-4, an electronic product by Teenage Engineering, is priced at 600 EUR.

I initially believed Teenage Engineering was a brand born from a pure passion for crafting highly engineered electronic tools—products meant to last a lifetime and eschew the constant replacement cycle typical of electronics (e.g., the iPhone series). However, upon further investigation, I found numerous stories that dramatically altered my perspective.

Perhaps their success has led to a compromise in quality. This notion contrasts starkly with Vitsoe, which has maintained high standards for over 60 years, evolving into a long-lasting and sustainable brand.

I’m left wondering if my initial impressions were shaped by clever marketing, or if there is another explanation. My hope is that sharing these observations might reach some of the founders, prompting them to realign their brand focus toward long-term quality rather than short-term profits achieved by mass-producing subpar products.

3 Likes

Your feedback is both enlightening and pure. Meaning, I can align with your point of view.

I came to TE from the same feeling as you : thinking it was a designer’s boutique dreamshop where software engineers, designers and creative people were all working together to create life-lasting products that helped their customers to find perfect solutions for their everyday problems.
And from that point of view, the price tag was not an issue.

But then, just as you, I had to come to the conclusion that it was more of an Applesque-wannabe company with great ideas, great designs and (probably) great teams. Meaning that somewhere down the road and for whatever reason, they lost sight of their raison d’être and probably ended-up compromising on stuff.
For me, their biggest mistake is not being transparent about the price tags.
They sure know how to market something, tho.
Your deceit is not unique here. I’m guessing we basically all fall for it at some point.

But yeah.
I cannot say that TE is the great, trusty brand they want us to think they are.
2023 definitely polarized TE as a weird brand, to say the least.
And although I’m still thinking they are not the worst, they sure need to address some of their shortcomings. QC, CS, lack of innovation, half-baked software/hardware upon release and whatnot.

But yeah. Just like you said.
It is not a good look. And even tho customers with a bad experience are notably more vocal online, TE sure has lost many customers. Even satisfied customers are more and more vocal about that whole ordeal.

It’s an endless debate. And your money is probably safer with another brand for now.

Anyhoo. Thanks for sharing all this.
I guess once they see this in numbers, they’ll try and make amends.

Take care, friend!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s simply not acceptable. If TE are going to charge such a hefty price tag, it really should be bulletproof quality. I’ve been a longtime OP-1 user but have decided not to upgrade to the OP-1F due to all these QC/design flaws. If the products aren’t top notch, nor should the price tag.

Price them accordingly TE. Sucks to hear of all these issues. :-1:t3:

2 Likes

Good move.