OB-4 loop click only after saving

hi all, first off, loving my ob4 generally and continually in awe and impressed w how damn good it sounds. i’m noticing a few odd behavior that seem software related and wanted to see if any of y’all experience any of these as well.

1. after i capture a loop and listen to ensure timing is perfect, i save it and then upon listening to it in the “disk” mode where it’s saved it all of a sudden has a slight audio click, not super audible but def sounds like the looped audio file is not starting at exactly the next possible microsecond after reaching the end.
  2. when i turn the volume knob quickly up while listening to bluetooth i hear mild/soft yet audible static type sound in the background. it only lasts while i’m actively turning the knob and it is not mechanical noise, it is audio perturbations of some kind.
  3. the battery icon randomly pops up sometimes during playback, which i suspect is the gyroscope just getting tricked by loud bass or something.
  4. when speaker is idle for a while, once the tape stops rotating i hear an audible click/pop sound when the tape shuts off (its start to shut if off automatically of course so that it does not save silence to the magic reel but the audible pop/click although not loud particularly still seems like a bug not feature)

anyone else getting this? thanks!!

1 Like

I am getting the same issue… But mine is super audible. It seems like I am getting random glitch sounds throughout the loop, and then a major glitch sound at the loop point. This only happens after the loop is saved. When I create the loop it is perfect but after saving I get the glitches. I am trying to verify that I have the latest firmware version. What version are you running?

Hopefully we can get this issue figured out because I love the OB-4 as well!

2 Likes

That static/white noise you hear is on mine, on every single mode, all of the time albeit only noticeable below 5% volume.
No pops or clicks after saving thankfully. Not updated to latest firmware though.

1 Like

glad i am not alone, thanks for responding. im on 1.5.8 which is the latest available to my setup, i.e. iPhone 12mini iOS 16 running TE orthoplay app. ive heard other say they have 1.5.9 but i think certain firmware isn’t available for all platforms, those on 1.5.9 were either on andriod phones or maybe iOS 17 etc.

interesting, so i dont hear anything at all when the speaker is idle but on. no static, no nothing, dead quiet. sounds like software/firmware though bc static tends to be in the audio signal but im no expert

I recall TE recognised the problem and were going to fix it. Made me laugh that after that was an update (my current one) that introduced white noise, the very last thing I needed more of! haha. So maybe the bug you’s have been experiencing is linked to them trying to fix the other glitch? Sucks either way.

1 Like

lol yeah its not a great customer experience in that aspect. as frustrating as it is on one level, being an owner of an op-1f for about a year now, and having some issues it too, on another level i am growing more and more impressed with TE devices. the more i learn what is inside the ob-4 and what is inside the op-1f, the more i am impressed by them.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have this issue, and it’s an issue with firmware 1.5.9.
If you boot the OB-4 while holding input + play you can downgrade.
Then update to 1.5.8 in the app.
According to TE:
1.5.9 was a beta update not intended to be released for public use.

2 Likes