Octatrack live performance question

Hi guys,

I’m aware that this is not the Octatrack but seeing some many Operator1ers falling for it I’m starting to get a OT gear envy.
Coming fron the MPC background and using about 8 tracks per beatt seems like the OT would be fine but FX wise, this is definitely appealing to me to take live performance to a whole new level.

So my question: is the OT built to switch from a project (sequence) to an other in a live environment? Say you go from Beat#1 (sequence#1 using 8 tracks) to beat#2 (sequence#2 using 8 other tracks) easily?

Like you would go from a sequence to another one the MPC.

Is it easy to recall projects in a live performance?

Sorry if the questions are vague but given the cost I’d better make sure of that before I take the jump.

Thanks for your help!

Yes. “Pattern” are similar to the mpc sequences. You can jump from pattern to pattern like mpc’s next sequence.

BUT pattern stores only the notes you play, not which sample / amp / fx setting on each track. if you want to use different samples on pattern #2 than you have to work additonally with “Parts” which stores the settings of each track … :slight_smile:

quite confusing … you should read merlins octatrack guide! it’s very good for some basic knowledge

http://www.elektron-users.com/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=611&Itemid=30

In one project you get 16 banks, each containing 16 patterns. Switching from bank A pattern B to bank X pattern Y is rather straightforward (press [bank] button, then trig X then trig Y). To switch from a pattern to another in the same bank, you press [pattern] button, then trig Y.

As OT shines with the use of Crossfader + Scenes : it’s interesting to notice that you have 16 scenes per Part (and 4 Parts per Bank iirc)
Scenes + Parts in itself gives room for so much change that you may base your all set on Pattern chaining anymore…
Each pattern is linked to one of the 4 Parts of the Bank, but you can switch it in real time to suddenly change the sound while keeping the notes.

One thing though : it’s tough to get some direct jump from one pattern to another in OT = jumping in the middle of the pattern at the exact moment when you want to switch, without waiting for the end of the pattern.
This is something that exists in Analog Rytm but not in OT (unless you make use of the Arrenger I guess).

If you’re more the static kind (like you already play on other instruments and let the OT play in the background) you can use the Arranger to compose a song/pattern chaining with the exact patterns bits you need, etc. I must admit this is a side I still have to master.

Wow, thanks for the very complete answers. I will read them a few times over because it is still a bit confusing :slight_smile:
Have a nice weekend!

pattern chaining is excellent on the OT.

one thing about a project that got me, is that you can’t save tempos w/ each of your banks.

@lefilou je peux le faire en français également :slight_smile:

N’hésite pas à m’envoyer des questions !

Je ne sais plus d’où tu es, mais si tu es proche de Sainté je t’offre également la bière locale !
:smiley:

@docshermsticks you’re right, but one can save different tempos (tempi ?) for a bank by using the Arranger (= not only one tempo per bank but even different tempi for the same one !)

comically thsi forum has made me want an octatrack. I still want another OP1(moar effects). But ive been convinced the octatrack is a much better central unit to my music making.

comically thsi forum has made me want an octatrack. I still want another OP1(moar effects). But ive been convinced the octatrack is a much better central unit to my music making.

I am almost leaving my house right now to take a trip into Tokyo and pick one up. I, like you, @masterofstuff124 have completely been sold on the idea. I am sat here thinking up different ways I can use the equipment I currently have but nothing is has the allure of the colourfully creative and inspirationally motivating OT. I am interested in the Maschine because I can load and process audio with the plugins I know and love but after a little research surfing the net I am not sure how many plugins I can run at the same time or how well it works plus nobody talks about Machine on here. It’s also a useful distraction to stop myself leaving the house for that black box by Elek-drool-tron.

just chiming in here real quick (without reading all the responses)… the lack of programs and kits and recall-able sequences has been really wearing on me and I recently bought an MPC for that reason. the MPC is great for what the OT simply can’t do and vise versa. in a jam situation it is simply not possible to quickly load something you whipped up earlier on the OT. unbeaten when it comes to sound sculpting though. I wish there was a device out there which combines the two. mind you - I wouldn’t want to give up on the OT. It just quite often keeps me off arranging in an experimental way

just chiming in here real quick (without reading all the responses)... the lack of programs and kits and recall-able sequences has been really wearing on me and I recently bought an MPC for that reason. the MPC is great for what the OT simply can't do and vise versa. in a jam situation it is simply not possible to quickly load something you whipped up earlier on the OT. unbeaten when it comes to sound sculpting though. I wish there was a device out there which combines the two. mind you - I wouldn't want to give up on the OT. It just quite often keeps me off arranging in an experimental way

true. and the fact, that the tracks are not polyphonic. i also just bought an mpc 1000 for all the stuff where the octatrack is not good at.

^^ Is that where possibly using the OT in conjunction with an old skool rack sampler would shine?

Yes. "Pattern" are similar to the mpc sequences. You can jump from pattern to pattern like mpc's next sequence.

BUT pattern stores only the notes you play, not which sample / amp / fx setting on each track. if you want to use different samples on pattern #2 than you have to work additonally with "Parts" which stores the settings of each track … :)

quite confusing … you should read merlins octatrack guide! it's very good for some basic knowledge

http://www.elektron-users.com/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=611&Itemid=30
Started reading it thanks for that mate!!
@lefilou je peux le faire en français également :)
N'hésite pas à m'envoyer des questions !

Je ne sais plus d'où tu es, mais si tu es proche de Sainté je t'offre également la bière locale !
:D

@docshermsticks you're right, but one can save different tempos (tempi ?) for a bank by using the Arranger (= not only one tempo per bank but even different tempi for the same one !)

Ça va être tendu de se croiser je suis à Londres :slight_smile: merci pour l’offre et la bière en tout cas. Je te tiens au courant si j’ai des questions!

All this reading got me intrigued and prob even more confused.

Anyone in the London area playing live somewhere soon so I could have a look? Or could recommend a shop where they wouldn’y mind doing a demo for me?

To give you a bit more background, I am a big fan of self contained samplers: SP404sx, MPC1k, OP-1. I play instruments since I was a kid but mainly sample records to make beats. Right now I have gazillions of my own loops produced with MPC/Ableton which I jam with using the SP404sx. It is fun but after seeing OT videos I think I could take it to a whole new level.

Thank you!

@lefilou What in particular are you confused about?

The Merlin guide is great for getting your head around patterns, parts, scenes and banks and also touches upon the sampling side of things. In my opinion the OT is great for working with rhythmic and tempo synced samples, drones, field recordings, dialogue, drum beats etc. But where I find it lacking is in how it handles chromatic samples. Lack of polyphony, inability to have keygroups, etc means that your MPC or other rack samplers handle this side of things better. I use my OP-1 for this.

Sounds as if it could be a good fit for you though. :)

Ça va être tendu de se croiser je suis à Londres :) merci pour l'offre et la bière en tout cas. Je te tiens au courant si j'ai des questions!

Damned.

I advise you to
- RT(F)M
- buy a second hand OT (cause just a few hours is not enough to see all the possibilities)
The OT can be sold easily if you thing you two don’t get along.
But from what you say I feel like it would be a keeper :wink:

Duly noted!!!

Thanks for the help guys.

I will keep you posted :slight_smile:

or move for one month to germany. a lot of retailers here offers 30 days money back :slight_smile:

Hi guys, 1st of all thanks for the great answers and all. I did not get a OT in the end but I ended up with a used SP404sx (mint condition, half the price), which I realized was not needed but at least I’ll have a spare if my old trusty SP dies from all the pad pounding. I have to say though… the more I read, watch, chat about that OT… I’ll give it a couple month.

Yes, you ay wait for early December to get good prices.

Or watch out Audiofanzine to see if a good deal arises, as you have some time :slight_smile: