Octatrack mk2 - vs original & price differential

Again, the new and added buttons do not bring with them a huge workflow paradigm shift.

They only make the interface more intuitive.
The improvement may be marginal, but in that margin exists the difference, for many, of getting on with the device from the beginning, and not.
Again, the new and added buttons do not bring with them a huge workflow paradigm shift.

They only make the interface more intuitive.
The improvement may be marginal, but in that margin exists the difference, for many, of getting on with the device from the beginning, and not.

Don’t think anyone was arguing about mkii being more intuitive? Just advising RTFM and save £600 :wink:

Also bare in mind that:

A) Intuition is a quality that ignores the manual, by its very definition. So RTFM is a moot point, to say the least.

and

B) The price difference is not the same in the rest of the world. For one example, in the US, a second hand OT MK1 still under warranty is fetching $800 if the buyer is lucky, and more like $850-$900. Where as the MKII is $1299 retail, shipped. So a $499 US difference at most. (or 380 GBP)
And you get more than just a few new buttons for that. I especially appreciate the new screen and encoders, and the hotter outputs and balanced inputs. There are other, less advertised differences as well. Like the fact that the MKII runs off a newer 12V DC PSU, making it much easier to find affordable battery power options.
I use the same battery that I’ve used for my Rytm. A deserving consideration for OP-1’ers.

That said, this is not a machine for someone to upgrade the MK1 for.
It is great for many users who appreciate what it brings to the table that the MK1 does not. And of course not all users will appreciate those differences. It’s good to have options.

Too many contradictions & cult mantras in that post for me. Whatever…

lol

pointing out the objective against the subjective while staying on subject = cult mantras.

lol

Not even Andy Kaufman could match up to this bizarre comedy.

Laughs all round then, you WERE joking when you mentioned the PSU as a mkii validation right? TBF that’s a new mantra as far as I know, congrats on the unveil.

Last time I argued with you about Elektron products I subsequently got got kicked out of elektronauts.com so forgive me if I bail on the invitation for a re-run.

PM if we must.

PM sent

Yeah I saw, thnx but no thnx. Kinda weird for you to ask for my email address tbh…

Email is how giving you sample packs from my replicantsounds.com site works. Offering an olive branch here.

Okay.

I hope the rest of your evening is better.

Nah man, samples don’t = apologies so keep em.

Like the fact that the MKII runs off a newer 12V DC PSU, making it much easier to find affordable battery power options.

What’s different about it that makes it easier? Does it run off a lower current? I thought the Mk1 PSU was 12V DC as well?

What's different about it that makes it easier? Does it run off a lower current? I thought the Mk1 PSU was 12V DC as well?

MK1 PSU was the "PSU-2"
6V

Finding a 6V capable Battery Pack is nigh impossible. Most options for battery powering the MK1 required using a more expensive battery with a wall outlet built in, and using the Elektron supplied PSU along with it.

12V battery options start at $40 for 8 hours of play.
Last time I checked, OT mk1 is still sold for 1200€ when mk2 is 1444€.
So we're talking 200€ for OLED + added buttons + slightly better inputs and CF...
For someone buying his first OT, it makes sense.
For someone wanting to upgrade from mk1 to mk2, not sure the difference is that worth it. Might be better to wait for the price to go lower, or second hand market to populate a bit...

@Callofthevoid you seem still bitter about what happened on Elektronauts months ago.
You know I truly regret not having had the power to move things towards a better path. You know I did all I could. I just can't forget how it turned.
But you should remember you were not kicked out per se : you asked me to delete your account.
Now Adam is genuinely offering peace. Please take it as it is, not apologies but more an invitation to keep the discussion here as civil as possible.

Please, please, let's not bring some blood and bitterness in operator-1 forum : this place is like a sanctuary and really doesn't deserves it.

The price thing we were weighing up was a used OT against new mkii. Not both units as new :wink: mkii is obvious choice at retail :wink: in UK you can save between £500/£600 going the used mki route and that’s enough for a new user to buy something else in addition that’ll add a lot to your setup vs the mkii improvements.

I left elektronauts.com because Adam told me Elektron wanted me to shut up, then I wasn’t allowed back on. = banned. Why would I be cool about that, even months later?

All I said on here was I’m not gonna argue with Elektron dudes about Elektron stuff. Been there, tried that… If Adam wants ‘peace’ he could just apologise for telling me that it was Elektron that wanted me to stop posting negative stuff and then him telling the forum that it was nothing to do with Elektron and purely mods. That was pure BS/manipulation/weird so yeah, just randomly saying ‘what’s your email I want to send you something’ was obviously just gonna wind me up and doesn’t make things cool, that’s not an apology/admission of fault. I’d accept an apology, but that isn’t one. Sorry dude, it’s just that I still have two Elektron boxes and that forum would be super handy sometimes. Sucks to not be able to post there so being banned continually bugs me. Like on a weekly basis. It’s not ‘blood and bitterness’, just frustration and holding him account for his actions, same as I was held account to mine. I was just saying that I’ve learned not to argue with Elektron peeps about Elektron gear… An apology would mean ‘something’, offering samples doesn’t…

But yeah, I agree that this forum’s a better place without this stuff so better to leave it at that :wink:

OK then :slight_smile:

All good in the TE hood :slight_smile:

(Deleted)

People, would you mind taking this discussion elsewhere, please?

To get the thread back on track, I just re-acquired a second-hand Octatrack MKI today. Looking forward to using it in a band setting!

Can anybody report if the LEDs on MK2 are easier to read? Having a yellow-green color blindness, it’s difficult for me to distinguish between the different trig colors. That would be one thing that tempted me to upgrade.

(deleted)

Sorry @vehka. Rant over. Back on topic.