Official announcement ZM-4 module OP-Z

7 Likes

Very exciting! Definitely the module for me.
To anyone who has either of the previous modules, does it look like theyā€™ve changed the design of this one to eliminate the issues those had? I donā€™t have them myself and canā€™t tell from the pictures, aside from it obviously using the rumbles locking mechanism.

1 Like

Iā€™d buy this in an instant but my OP-Z is a bent brick thanks to their shoddy manufacturing. Itā€™s past warranty but Iā€™m still going to send it back to them in protest. Sorry to vent on your post.

5 Likes

it looks the same as the others
i have both modules but never had issues so iā€™m not sure what you mean

i feel crazy tho because it looks like an oplab where cv ports has been swapped for audio

am i mistaken?

Great! I wasnā€™t expecting it to work as an assignable output. Among other things thereā€™s the solution for bouncing down individual tracks / stems!

1 Like

Nope thatā€™s exactly it. I suspect their ā€œidealā€ use case is syncing with a Pocket Operator and running its audio through the OP-Z for effects and sampling.

Iā€™m personally looking forward to controlling my Electribe 2 with OP-Zā€™s much-better sequencer, and running its output through the OP-Zā€™s Tape track.

1 Like

what i wouldā€™ve loved is if all four ports handled audio

even if one input was dedicated for fx return (only to be mixed with internal audioā€¦not available for sampling etc)

it will still be possible to get creative with an external mixer or input splitter but iā€™m shocked and kinda underwhelmed seeing the initial plans

1 Like

Sameā€¦ seems like a missed opportunityā€¦ there is already the oplab so why duplicate functionality for things we already paid for when you could have it all be audioā€¦
Also, I really liked that the oplab and the rumble had different mechanisms to lock inā€¦ this is the same as rumbleā€¦ it would be cool if each was differentā€¦ this just makes it look like the oplab has a badly designed lock(which may be true) instead of capitalizing on the situation and make it a quirky designing opportunity.
For a company that supposedly is focused on design, they donā€™t seem that great at it!! Lol.

4 Likes

I am looking forward to use the second stereo output for some pseudo quadraphonic space panning. The Ob-4 is perfect for the second stereomix.

I donā€™t own oplab so this module is very appealing to me. I understand the frustration for those who already have an oplab though! I also would love more assignable audio outs.

It is basically oplab2. Taking a step back, you can see this module as ā€œfixingā€ many of the bits people say are missing from the op-z: midi i/o, line in, extra audio out. It is a far more complete product with this module.

Interesting to see what happens with firmware too.

3 Likes

The real question is: Where is (or what would have been) ZM-3 and will we still get it? :thinking:

3 Likes

Right?? I forgot!! Thatā€™s the other thing, why did they just skip a number? It really seems they just donā€™t care more and moreā€¦

Noice!

While I think ā€œcueing in tracksā€ means cueing op-zā€™s internal tracks, I hope it also means that when connected to a computer it appears an a 4-out audio interface.

Running ableton audio through op-z over usb has been a very fun but being able to send the cue mix to this 2nd line out would be amazing for live perf.

1 Like

Itā€™s weird they made an announcement that they are gonna make a announcementā€¦

3 Likes

my Z is warped but the Rumble works fine, so my fingers are crossed that the newer locking system will always be ok.

1 Like

ā€˜you can route individual tracks to the module output instead of to the main mix to separate and process the individual tracksā€¦ā€™

so, just to be clear, multiple tracks can be routed out or just one? And if so, why isnā€™t it possible (yet) to do the same via usb the way the Roland Boutiques do?

also, do the step fx work over midi?

What about price? This module will must haveā€¦

1 Like

This will allow 4 track recording through an external audio interface!

I wonder if these additional inputs/outputs will be accessible through USB?

That way we will have a great 2in (+2in) / 4out audio interface! or worst case 2in / 4out!

Really excited about this!

Iā€™m now thinking of returning my oplab that I bought a few weeks ago because I expect that they will be worth nothing once this comes outā€¦ maybe Iā€™ll replace it with the keystep37 or the arturia microfreak for the CV/Gate functionality and connect to op-z through usb to get the same functionality (I need to connect to po400 Modular)

I had first thought that it was going to be all audio in and out. But I think having the midi or PO sync makes more sense than all audio. This has overlap with the oplab, but you canā€™t use two modules at once, so the functionality isnā€™t really redundant. With this, you can route midi or PO sync to that device and then audio back into the OP-Z for processing. Or you could send audio out to a midi controlled FX pedal/unit. Iā€™m considering getting a second OP-Z just to have one with oplab and one with ZM-4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do prefer the recording quality over USB so I hope all four channels go out that way. But I guess analogue audio isnā€™t the end of the world :wink:

Going to have to be careful to hard pan stuff and avoid panning punch effects and so on (unless just recording stereo tracks / stems which is fine as well.) Bit of a pain to have to go back and do this for multiple patterns if you didnā€™t build them with that in mind. But hey, all part of the funs.