OP-1 Arrived Discharged?

Hello,

I just recieved my OP-1 and noticed a very strange thing: when i got my unit out of the box for the first time - the power slider was already in “on” position and the unit wouldn’t turn on untill i pluged it into a USB port for some time.

That’s very unusual for an electronic device to be in this state initially. So i wonder if this normal, or if anyone else also had this experience? If so, did you notice any battery life degradation?

It has 241 firmware installed, so i wonder for how long it could have been in a discharged state. Couldn’t find manufacturing date anywhere on the box, is there any way to look it up?

---------------------------------------------

Hm… after reading the manual and the forum, i begin to think it’s intented to be this way?

The first thing you should do is to connect your OP-1 to a computer (or optional charger) via the USB port located on the right side of the unit. Make sure to keep your OP-1 connected until you have fully charged the internal battery. this will be indicated by the same LEDs used for the VU meter. To check the battery level, press the help key. the LEDs will light up to indicate the level. five lit LEDs is equal to a fully charged battery.

Here’s my theory: the power switch is in “on” state so that the unit powers itself automatically upon connecting to PC, and the battery is initially low so that the device does initial calibration.

What do you think, does this sounds plausible? I wonder if i messed up this potential initial calibration by panicking and interrupting the first ever charging procedure.

i think u are looking way to deep into this

the switch being on was prolly just a mistake
maybe got knocked at some point in transit or something

it is common practice to ship lipo batteries in a mostly discharged state tho
which is what they are referring to in the manual.
as fully charged batteries are more prone to exploding etc etc if knocked around and such

letting any lipo battery get too low is actually really bad for its health and lifespan.
also the safety circuitry usually kicks in and then u may have to jumpstart it to get it going on.
i doubt they would intentionally leave the power on to continually drain it

i guess anything is possible tho :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

it is common practice to ship lipo batteries in a mostly discharged state tho
which is what they are referring to in the manual

Oh, i didn’t know that, thanks for the information

the switch being on was prolly just a mistake
maybe got knocked at some point in transit or something

Sounds possible, yeah!
I didn’t have to jumpstart it or anything, which is a good sign. Though toggling the switch didn’t do anything untill i plugged it in to a USB. So maybe, it’s actually a protective measure against accidental power on.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy straight from TE?

Kind of. I bought it from a local reseller, but it was out of stock so they ordered one from TE.

I just experienced the same thing.

Bought new from Amazon. Arrived yesterday, with the switch in the ON position. And the battery utterly flat.

I plugged it into charge.

And roughly ~18 hours later, it is still charging (?)

I have not turned it on yet.

UPDATE: I turned it on, played around for a few minutes, and checked the battery meter. It showed as nearly full. Turned it off, and left it to continue charging. After another hour or so, it was finally full. So there you go.