OP-1 as a looping delay

Heya. Sorry if this has been covered but I made a first of 2 or 3 videos exploring using the Delay effect as a looping delay. I love the happy accidents that build up and its nice that you don’t need to use up a tape track to accomplish it. Enjoy!

13 Likes

Great tip!
I like looping with the delay in a similar way to Dakim here:

Looking forward for your next videos,
Thank you!

1 Like

This is cool, played around with this yesterday and then it was 3 hrs later… tried to match the bpm and the delay speed… 75 bpm and 26 came pretty close to match 1 bar and 1 loop… maybe the hive mind can figure out exact matches, this would make this technique even more powerful… but slowly drifting apart tape and delay loops is also cool… also had good results with an lfo on the input, so the recorded signal varies in level.

1 Like

someone already got your back

3 Likes

Hey i made this tool at one point to get some suggestions for exact speed/bpm matches to do this kind of stuff.

I think a tape loop is the perfect metaphor for how the delay effect works.
the blue circle is the literal size of the tape loop, and the speed is how fast it gets played (99 would be like hitting fast forward, 0 would be like barely moving along) (these speeds also affect audio fidelity i.e. you can get darker lo-fi repeats at super slower speeds)
https://jsfiddle.net/spencerm/su9zkjdq/1/show

The way they coded this delay tool to me actually shows a lot of attention to detail i wasn’t expecting…

The speed knob isn’t linear, meaning the difference in what happens to your audio between ‘0’ and ‘10’ isn’t the same as what happens between ‘80’ and ‘90’.
It actually speed changes exponentially, so you get a lot of difference at low numbers, and the change is much more fine at high numbers.

But here’s how it breaks down exactly, because you can do some fun stuff with it with this knowledge:

at the largest loop size (big blue circle):
0 speed = 10 seconds to loop
11 speed = 5 seconds to loop (2x faster than 0 speed)
22 = 3.333 seconds (3x faster than 0 speed)
33 = 2.5 seconds (4x faster than 0 speed)

77 = 1.25 seconds (8x faster)
88 = 1.111 seconds (9x faster)
99 = 1 second to loop (10x faster than 0 speed)

theres a pretty clear pattern there…
Since the delay effect doesn’t change to match your BPM, if you want to use these exact speeds, you can select a global BPM that aligns with how the delay effect is coded. (this would BPMs: 72, 96, 120, 144, 168)

Here are some specific examples you can do:
120 BPM, at delay speed 44, perfect 1 bar loop…
144 BPM, at delay speed 55, perfect 1 bar loop…
144 BPM, at delay speed 22, perfect 2 bar loop…
168 BPM, at delay speed 66, perfect 1 bar loop

5 Likes

This is genius… this is why I love this forum

1 Like