OP-1 battery won't charge, one more...

I couldn’t use my OP-1 for the last few months and now the battery has a problem. I already read some posts here about it but I’m disappointed. It looks like an issue if you forget to full charge the OP-1 every few months when not using it, you will just end up with a dead unit.
My OP-1 charges for few second (or not) then resume. I tried different USB cables, PC USB and chargers, the battery just doesn’t want to charge.
I guess I will have to return it to TE to fix it… great.

I forgot to ask, does anyone already returned his OP-1 for battery change, how much do they take ?

Or I will just go through this tutorial : https://fr.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Battery+Replacement/65563

I don’t know the answer to your question, but powerstream.com sells a similar battery (GM505068-PCB) for $20.

@atom Already tried the battery recalibration procedure? Leave OP1 on until screen goes dark = battery empty. Don’t switch off! Connect to USB charger and let it charge at least 6 hours.

The battery is totally empty, as soon as I disconnect the USB cable it goes off and it won’t charge. I’m right now taking apart the unit to check the battery directly. I was just about to take of the DSP board :slight_smile:

Beware: right after going into “drained battery coma” there is no sign of life from the OP1 when you connect it to USB power. Let it charge for some hours with power switch ON, even when there is no battery indicator showing.

@motone Ok, thanks, I’m testing it right now with power ON for few hours. I have an email from TE with some testing procedures too.

If anyone knows a source in the US for replacement parts please share some links.
I’ve searched for the battery online and can’t find any the same dimensions. I also can’t find the screen, keybed or connector board for sale anywhere.
Please help if you have any info on this subject.
Thanks.

If anyone knows a source in the US for replacement parts please share some links.
I've searched for the battery online and can't find any the same dimensions. I also can't find the screen, keybed or connector board for sale anywhere.
Please help if you have any info on this subject.
Thanks.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/OP-1-Connector-Board/IF237-000
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Connector+Board+Replacement/19125
I forgot to ask, does anyone already returned his OP-1 for battery change, how much do they take ?
Or I will just go through this tutorial : https://fr.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Battery+Replacement/65563

I am in the same boat as you: charging woes. I posted a thread here a while ago and people suggested trying to replace the connector board before sending it in for repair. Here’s the replacement board:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/OP-1-Connector-Board/IF237-000

And here’s the guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Connector+Board+Replacement/19125

Mine comes in tonight and I hope to swap it out and see if it fixes the issue so I don’t have to send it in.

Couple questions: How old is your OP-1 and what OS version are you running?

I bought my OP-1 in december 2015. I first had an issue with screen being 75% dead, but the faulty unit was replaced.
I run last OS #218. I was abble to update it yesterday because the OP-1 works fine as long as it’s hooked to USB power.

So, did you swap the connector board ? Does it change anything ?

I opened my OP-1 to test the battery, I had some trouble testing it. Mostly I was catching a voltage under 1v… I could try to wake it up by boost, but I guess it may not be a good idea if that voltage is really under 1v, right ? I don’t want to hurt myself :slight_smile:

You probably drained the battery to the limit, doesn’t it need to be 5 V? Did you ask TE how much a new battery is? When you already opened it it’s prob easy to replace it on your own.

USB charger outputs 5V, but I think the Li-Ion battery itself has a lower charging voltage. AFAIK the output voltage of the battery should be around 3 to 4 volts. And I wouldn’t temper with it, like “boost charging” etc.

I bought my OP-1 in december 2015. I first had an issue with screen being 75% dead, but the faulty unit was replaced.
I run last OS #218. I was abble to update it yesterday because the OP-1 works fine as long as it's hooked to USB power.

So, did you swap the connector board ? Does it change anything ?

I opened my OP-1 to test the battery, I had some trouble testing it. Mostly I was catching a voltage under 1v... I could try to wake it up by boost, but I guess it may not be a good idea if that voltage is really under 1v, right ? I don't want to hurt myself :-)

I swapped my connector board last night. As of this morning the battery remains at full charge and the power switch and charging behavior are normal. If it’s still at full charge when I get home and the power switch still works like it should I’m calling it fixed.

I use a Belkin USB charger that plugs into a wall socket.

My power switch behaves normally if juice is coming in by USB cable. I’m not sure if I’m having same issue as yours but I’m glad you fixed your unit.
I think mine is going back to TE for inspection I don’t feel like running after unlikely spare parts on the web and taking apart the OP-1 again, those plastic caps hooks are so tiny they could easily be broken.

I will keep you updated.
My power switch behaves normally if juice is coming in by USB cable. I'm not sure if I'm having same issue as yours but I'm glad you fixed your unit.
I think mine is going back to TE for inspection I don't feel like running after unlikely spare parts on the web and taking apart the OP-1 again, those plastic caps hooks are so tiny they could easily be broken.
I will keep you updated.

I can confirm that changing the connector board fixed my battery and charging issues. Was a very, very easy process. I would recommend trying it if you don’t want to spend the time sending it away again. You will not have to open up the whole unit like you do with the battery, and iFixit has instructions and the board for sale for 50$.

I sent my OP-1 back to TE. After examination, they suggested to replace the faulty battery.
The good thing is that they were really fast at taking care of the issue, I was ready to wait 2 or 3 weeks before I can get back my OP-1, but it’s already fixed.
Costed me 79€ :
- battery : 20€
- 30 min repair work : 40€
- shippment (Sweden to France) : 19€

And they don’t sell/ship battery directly.
I sent my OP-1 back to TE. After examination, they suggested to replace the faulty battery.
The good thing is that they were really fast at taking care of the issue, I was ready to wait 2 or 3 weeks before I can get back my OP-1, but it's already fixed.
Costed me 79€ :
- battery : 20€
- 30 min repair work : 40€
- shippment (Sweden to France) : 19€
And they don't sell/ship battery directly.

That’s cool! So your warranty was finished?

Can I ask what email address you used? I’m having a bit of trouble getting a hold of them on the support email…

@ludicrouSpeed My warranty finished in december. I guess the battery was already dead but I was away and couldn’t test on my OP-1.
I used support@teenageengineering.com but they usually answer once the day so wait at least 24/48h.

Thanks @atom

It’s been more than a couple of days… I shall endure, haha.