OP-1 Battle #75: Spirit of Radio

I dig it. I like the abstract feel to it.

Lovely. I’m in!

2 Likes

on the road this week. got to sampling from various radio stations between Las Vegas and Bryce Canyon in Utah.

also grabbed an FM transmitter for this one and used only 3 sounds via this method, 1 kick and 2 snare samples, as I wanted to keep it primarily radio based.

carry on.

4 Likes

i like the glitches and tape scratches in it !
dope jam !:call_me_hand:

Hi all,
This one was definitely a challenge since it’s hard to get radio samples to not sound too much like their source (avoid infringement) and be “smooth” - definitely tried out some super sample slicing-and-dicing and fine-tuning on this one.

All except lead/melody were composed and performed on NJ Transit & NYCT Subway commutes. Fade In/Out and Leads just needed a little more stability (home office desk!)

#OP-1 #op-forums.com #battle75 #battle075 #spiritofradio #onthetrain #onthego #COVID19creativity

Best and thanks for the challenge,
psound74

4 Likes

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now and finally decided to sign up and participate. I got a little lucky and was able to find some solo’d drums and bass on the local jazz channel.

7 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about! Nice.

i have created this contradiction, its a cv controlled fm radio.
op-z:
track 1-3 drums
track 5 base
track 9 delay sequenced in different patterns
track 10 reverb sequence
track 14 frequency modulation in sequence.
track 14 built in mic, sound from radio in
track 14 mic in - lfo filter - sequenced rhythmical progressions.
track 14 fx1,2 sequenced
(taking advantage from the new update features!)

live performance:
switching between 3 patterns
patterns contain frequency presets for the radio, that way its possible to compose melody to the radio station sounds.

recored in one long take, hoping to catch something cool on the radio. because its impossible to predict what music will the radio station play.
so i just took a lucky take.

lead piano sound is from a classical music radio station. track 14 dubs filter of input sound on and off to the rhythm, cleating a new pattern.
other sounds are quick glitchy dubs from other radio station. (i tried to avoid copyrighted content)

my video editing app compresses audio, so here is a high rez version:

see project brake down at:

… i was also transmitting sound via a tesla coil, but than i needed a mixer, i dont have a mixer :cry: so it didnt work out.

4 Likes

Good good stuff! I was trying something like this on the Koma Field Kit but haven’t incorporated it into the OP-1. Very nice.

Hey all,
Thanks for the fun battle rules! I started out with sampling the commentator of a soccer game. Then the rest followed. Lead voice is a very short segment of a sample. Recording of samples was done at home. Putting the song together was all done while commuting (still had some none-bike commutes).
I am considering posting another submission based on classical music samples. Let’s see if I get to finish it on time…

6 Likes

By all means post another! I want as many submissions as we can get.

1 Like

Just bought this synth and found this forum Really cool what you did nice to see what this instrument can do.

1 Like

Alright here is another. With classical examples; found some violin, cello, piano and voices. Decided to do all of the grid. And then mess around with some reverb and EQ.

3 Likes

130bpm, radio static, punch and a classics station.

3 Likes

Another one @ 162bpm. Oldskool rave flavour.

2 Likes

This is shaping up nicely. We still have a week so get those submissions in, people!

2 Likes

3rd submission, tried some sub-100bpm stuff this time.

3 Likes

big dog and a tree. half samples from radio, and half vinyl record via FM transmitter…(with a couple kicks and snares also via FM).

2 Likes

ok, so, since that post 4h ago. um. I made some kinda remix? this one has a lot more Radio. like, weird.

is this too many entries yet? lol

(edit 21 hours later: full disclosure, I re-recorded this with a slight edit, and updated my Soundcloud post. but with all of 8 listens the track has had, I am actually just doing the future world a favor.)

6 Likes

I love the sound of radio samples and i’m really happy I got time to make an entry!

All samples from the Galician and Spanish radio. We have an entire Catholic radio station that seems to provide 24 hour Mass, for example. That came in handy along with the OP-1’s Arpeggiator.

I’m hearing some great entries for this battle, props to @joeyfivecents for organising!

6 Likes