OP-1 Case Revelation

(Disclaimer: wanted best case that will fit OP-1 with the DeckSaver on, as I believe this is best method of protection for her, when travelling)

So. I got fed up of the whole case thing. I’ve tried a few.

Now, before anyone shouts out “OFFICIAL CASE!” and “Why would anyone scrimp on a case for a £1000 plus device?” etc, let me clear that it’s not about cost, it’s about the best fitting/protective case.

I was using the Tractor case (UDG Creator NI Kontrol F1/X1/Z1 Hardcase Protector Schwarz U8410BL: Amazon.de: Schuhe & Handtaschen) for a bit but it’s huge, too big for me. So bit the bullet and ordered the official case from Amazon. Guess what, it didn’t fit! literally, the base of the OP-1 dit not fit within the neoprene base of case. Unbelievable. Sent it back.

So, without wanting to give up, I decided to look for a device that had similar dimensions, was ubiquitous, and would have an abundance of cases available for it…

and… Enter: the wireless Apple Magic Keyboard!

Apple Magic Keyboard = L 279 mm x H: 114.9 mm x D 11

OP-1 Dimensions = L 282 mm x H 102 mm x D 13.5 mm

After searching all the forums etc, I couldn’t believe that no one else had made the connection. Pretty exciting, I thought.

I then looked up Apple Magic Keyboard cases on Amazon, and narrowed it down to 3:

US AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/Hermitshell-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Trackpad-Protective/dp/B01H1HWUWA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=apple+magic+case+hermit&qid=1559912380&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I thought about buying all and then reviewing for y’all, but in the end decided that the first (semi) hard case was worth a punt. there was a strange indentation in the case, separating it into two sections, I gestimated that, that would still fall within the OP-1’s mixer knobs and volume knob (with Decksaver), and boy did I get lucky! Compared to the official case it is a much more protective material, AND a quarter of the price! :slight_smile:

All I can say is that, whilst the case is technically upside-down, it fits perfectly! Super snug, super protected. I have absolutely no qualms about chucking this in my rucksack now.

Didn’t need to test the other cases in the end; IMHO this is the absolutely best fitting case for the OP-1 (REMEMBER: I said with a decksaver attached) There is even space for some cables etc. (p.s. the red band is a rubber bracelet I use to hold the Decksaver to the OP-1)

Have a look yourself!

I really hope this is the post some of you have been waiting for :wink: My case search is over :slight_smile:

(OP-1 Forum: This post is copied from Reddit, photos and origninal post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OP1users/comments/bxuckb/op1_case_revelation/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x)

TL:DR: Apple Magic Keyboards fit OP-1s - Go check yourself!

1 Like

Nice. The official case does fit though. It just takes a while the memory foam inside needs to get used to the OP-1. Mine had the same problem when I first got it. After a few weeks it fit perfectly, and nice and tight.

Cheers. I’ve also been using the Tractor case and agree whilst it offers good protection it is a little bulky. I’ve ordered the case you suggested … So fingers crossed!

Case just arrived and it’s great. About 2/3rds the thickness and a little smaller in all directions than the Tractor case. Feels like it will offer reasonable protection and the reduced size will make me want to carry it to work, to jam at lunchtimes. Good shout BeardoUK

So I got the Hermitshell case, and it’s good. It fits well.

Two questions about it:

• Any way I can have a carrying strap for it? I’d like to carry it over my shoulder.
  • I also put the USB cord and old iPhone headphones in the mesh. It fits, but seems snug. Might be pressing down the OP1 keys. Should I worry about that?

Thanks,

• Joe

Thank you for the case recommendations. I have just ordered an OP-1, which should be arriving next Tuesday and I wanted something to put it in that didn’t cost as much as the official case (not that they are easy to come by). I’ve ordered the Tuff-Luv Herringbone case from Amazon and I’ll add my thoughts when it arrives next week.

each to there own all that but…Op-z case? go to your local cobbler/shoe shop. Maybe you get lucky like i did.

made it overnight £10.

for the op-1…go to GO Outdoors. Made for fishing tackle (i think)…£10

2 Likes

The Tuff-Luv Herringbone case arrived a few days ago and it’s ideal for the OP-1. It fits perfectly and inside it is split into two pockets so you can keep your USB and audio cable separate. The interior has a nice furry lining to keep things clean and scratch free. I thoroughly recommend it.

Nice!

Is this it…?

Thx, Joe

1 Like

I bought the Adore June apple keyboard case and a deck saver. Fits absolutely perfectly with all my leads etc. Very pleased with it and most importantly confident that it’s going to protect the OP-1.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Yep that’s the one. Thoroughly recommend it.

1 Like

Hi, I note it’s been a while. Do you know if the Tuff-luv case works with a decksaver?

Cheers