OP-1 down!

see this is why i'm hesitant to buy another op-1. the first one i had, the speakers went. the second one i had, the mic went. the third one, i had these same power issues. i have to keep reminding myself how frustrating that was. but here i am hanging out again, thinking about buying another one. ugh. i should just buy another microsampler. i never had any issues with it. it's great that you don't need an oplab or kenton to MIDI it. it's great too that you don't have to sacrifice the MIDI side if you want to use the sampler. aside from op's spring reverb, i much prefer the microsampler's fx. i'm pretty much all sample-based so i don't need the op-1 synths. microsampler + zoom r8 would give me 4 more tracks too. both are battery powered. i prefer the microsampler's size. and for the price of an op-1 i could buy a microsampler, R8 AND a Moisterizer for analog filter/spring reverb.... or instead of a Moisturizer I could get a rc-505....blah blah blah

oh OP-1 how is it that you STILL tempt me so??? :slight_smile:

Ya that is really 3 tough pills to swallow. I’ll just say this, if you get a good one, they usually are pretty solid. Mine was in the 200’s of the first batch of 500 and I’ve never had much of a problem with it.

Looks like mine is stuck around 3 LEDs. They come on for a few seconds when I plug it in, then nothing.

Mine, too. Usually takes a little luck to find the “right” USB connection to knock it past that and make the LEDs act right, though I never notice less run time when it’s stuck at three LEDs. Seems more or less cosmetic, and annoying.

Never a problem charging from a Mac, not even once.

@22tape wow 3 OP-1s?? I really thought I was the unlucky one when I kept frying boards on various gear with phantom power and the wrong DC adapter. Hope it didn’t kill your wallet too much.

Looks like mine is stuck around 3 LEDs. They come on for a few seconds when I plug it in, then nothing.

change usb charger. I use an old standalone m-audio usb charger…

(TE ought to include one and take responsibility for that much money.)

Hey, how can you tell when your OP-1 was manufactured? Maybe all the OP-1 that are acting up are part of a bad batch?

@JohnSmith Check where your serial number fits in here to figure that out:

http://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/98/when-did-you-get-your-op-1

Damnit. I got mine started and thought it was charging. A day later it’s completely dead again. I think it’s going back to TE sooner than later.

I’ve realized, that my unit is not charing very often. I’ve also realized, that if I turn it on/off, and then manipulate with usb cable, to be inserted “only in 1/3 of length of plug” to OP-1, it’s starting to charge. I cannot enable it then, It must charge whole night. Then it’s working for some time, much shorter than on beginning, but I can use it at least.

I can post some video If you are interested.

Maybe it helps if you recalibrate the battery meter (see manual): unplug USB, leave it on until it dies (screen goes dark), DON’T SWITCH OFF!!!, connect USB charger and let it charge for at least 7 hours (battery meter might display nothing at all in the beginning). After that, unplug, switch off and on again.

Mine only charges when its left on. Think its been this way since the CWO update.

Have had this not powering up issue a few times and if i reinstall the os it boots up everytime. Even if you have the lates os just reinstall. Hold the com button and turn the unit on, then update firmware.

Mines been doing the same thing for the last few months. Every time I go to play with it it’s completely dead.

I think I may have to send it away and cough up some money for a new battery, as I’m sure it’s killed it doing this to itself over and over. Plus I’m well out of warranty now :frowning:

Have had this not powering up issue a few times and if i reinstall the os it boots up everytime. Even if you have the lates os just reinstall. Hold the com button and turn the unit on, then update firmware.
I second Keith's experience, doing a long charge then reflashing the os seems to bring it back to life.

TE firmware page is here