OP-1 Field Audio Out to TX-6?

I’ve seen a bunch of places online that imply that we should be able to connect an OP-1 Field to a TX-6 via audio out over USB-C… but that definitely isn’t working for me. Has anybody gotten this to work? Or am I reading feature lists completely wrong?

Audio in via USB works though.

Tried now and it’s still not working, is it?

I haven’t gotten the TX-6 to hear the OP-1f at all. I haven’t tried it the other way around yet as I haven’t had the need for it, but I’m going to give it a go and I’ll edit this post to include my experience.

Edit: I can’t get the OP-1f to hear the TX-6, either. I’m not sure what fjl was referring to in the post above.

I find the Field “system” confusing as the pieces don’t actually fit together in any sensible way. Everything seems to have been designed in isolation by different companies- the sample rates and bit depths don’t match, the mic is mono into a stereo recorder, they don’t communicate via usb…
I think the Field designation came after the fact as there is nothing about this kit that would be actually good out in a field of any sort. It’s a nonsense marketing misnomer for some random products that are all silvery.

Saying that, I like my TE stuff a lot. And the OP-1f sounds great going into the TX-6 the old fashioned way, via a tiny 3.5mm cable. Oh wait…

Still, this all could be user error, so if anyone knows how to properly connect the OP-1f and the TX-6 via USB, please post all settings.

1 Like

I’m replying to my own post because the one above is already too long. I can get the TX-6 to recognize the bluetooth signal from the OP-1f, it shows “OP-1 L” on the TX-6 screen, but no sound. As far as I can tell neither the OP-1f or the TX-6 can hear each other over bluetooth.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong about all of this. Help!

So my Roland S-1, inexpensive plastic synth, communicates over USB with the OP-1f with no effort, just plug in the cable and choose USB In on the OP-1f. But the expensive fancy silvery mixer made by TE is all fail.
TE can be maddening.

2 Likes

Just a random genuine question. Why would you want to hear it over USB-c anyway? You can’t apply effects or mix the sound through the USB-c port? There is no fader on the USB-c port.

You are right about that. I am simply testing to see what works and what doesn’t.

The OP-1f should be able to broadcast its mix to the TX-6 via bluetooth, I would think? I need to check it out further.

I would imagine the OP-1f and the TX-6 would be completely compatible with each other. I’m surprised to discover how little they can communicate.

Ahh i see … I also saw that you posted saying the Field lineup was incompatible due to sample rate recording, the TP-7 being at 96khz the TX-6 at 48khz and Op1f at 44.1khz … but if im not mistaken you can actually adjust the recording rate on the TP-7 to 48khz ? So wouldn’t that make it more compatible with TX-6? Just trying to have a conversation about compatibility here … because my impression of that would be the lack of multitracking Op1Fs 4 tracks individually into TX-6 … which maybe can come in a later update? fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

I hope someday they allow us to see all four OP-1f tracks in the TX-6. I’m not counting on an update that big, but it would be nice.

My remark about the sample rates is just that all three products top out at different rates, which seems convoluted for a product line-up that is advertised as a kit.

I don’t own the TP-7, I really have no need for it, but of course its beautiful and so it’s tempting. I haven’t looked into it much because I don’t want to want it. Now that the TX-6 can record to usb stick the TP-7 is less interesting to me but I bet the TP-7 is fun to use.

1 Like

My Tx-6 is recognizing audio from op-1f and I can apply effects. I get it into channel 1, don’t know if there’s any possibility to change that. Would be great what you suggested, being able to get the four tracks sepparately

Btw, I tried the opposite, getting audio from tx-6 to op-1 field and couldn’t make it work

@Sti
Thanks. I was encouraged by your post so I tried again, connected the TX-6 and OP-1f and now I have audio going from the OP-1f to the TX-6 on channel 1 but I’m not yet able to apply effects.

Edit: What is happening for me is-
Sometimes (like right now) when I connect the OP-1f and TX-6 via USB I get no sound.

Sometimes when I connect the OP-1f and TX-6 via USB, I have no ability to use the TX-6 channel fader as a volume control and I can’t use the effects but I hear the OP-1f audio.

Sometimes if I turn on the TX-6 master FX (reverb, delay, chorus) while audio is beng sent from the OP-1f, the USB audio cuts off altogether.

Sometimes with the TX-6 and OP-1f connected I have audio from the OP-1f over USB and can use the fader and effects.

These issues occurs with the TX-6 in 2 channel mode or 12 in/out.

While sitting here typing this the USB audio cut out for no apparent reason. It’s cutting out regularly.

So it’s not user error, the Tx-6 is just buggy. Fck this. I’m all about the 3.5mm cables from now on.

1 Like

True, I found it’s especially buggy when you change usb mode and had to turn off and on again in order to make it work again. I found it only worked properly for me in tx-6 12-in mode

1 Like

Not sure if this is applicable but my tx 6 has always had difficulty recognizing the usb signal unless it is already on when I plugin the usbc source

@ajoe
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip.