OP-1 keeps shutting down

My OP-1 has been intermittently powering off, often times immediately upon powering on. Sometimes it also has a lack of response from the power slider, like I’ll have to go back and forth once or twice and then it responds.

This has been going on for a good few months, and it definitely seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks. Like now sometimes it just won’t turn on at all :(.
There seems to be no difference whether it’s plugged in or not.

I’m pretty anxious about using it on gigs, and overall it’s definitely a drag. Haven’t found this same problem, and I can’t seem to find an actual way to contact Teenage Engineering directly about it, just the knowledge base and a link to ifixit.com.

I’m happy to attempt to DIY it, but I feel like I at least need help diagnosing what the issue is exactly.

I truly love this keyboard, and just want it healthy again. If anyone could help it’d be SUPER appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jaron

try cleaning the power switch with some electronics spray
and work it back and forth a bit.

u can pop open the panel on the bottom to get directly at the switch

it seems a common issue and one that has plagued my OP1 from the day i bought it new. i’ve seen multiple explanations and suggestions – from need to replace connector board, need to reset ribbon cable, resolder the on/off switch…

I’ve tried fault finding with a multimeter without much luck. It sort of looks like the board is too big for the space and is putting pressure on the mounting pins for the on/off switch and so causing the solder joints to fail. But I’ve probed and soldered the little bastards without any luck so who knows.

i found myself holding a can of electronic cleaner today…and decided to follow doc’s advice and give a OP1 a spray. seems to work. the unit stays on when i touch the side of the OP1 and even when I touch the switch. so that’s a vast improvement.
here’s hoping it’s a lasting fix.
let me know how you go, just in case this isn’t the end to this perplexing and frustrating mystery.

I will give that a go, thank you!!

Same here. But worse now my MIDI functionality has gone missing. Took the OP-1 to a service dept who re-soldered the Connector board points and it doesn’t restart anymore but MIDI still not working. For the money this unit is very poorly constructed. Am going through with email support from TE - so they are starting to respond better than what I have previously noted. But no doubt nothing they can do over the web. Still, very disappointing considering this unit has stayed in my home studio and I’ve treated it with kid gloves. To replace a DSP board is something in the vicinity of $300 I hear plus service charges. Might stick to ITB plugins in future I think.

What is wrong with the midi on your op -1?

It wont respond. Therefore I could not upgrade the firmware if needed. And I cannot use as a midi connected instrument with my DAW. This would have to be one of the main functions of the OP-1.
It’s almost impossible to think that this could happen. Even out of warranty one should be assured this functionality would be a no brainer.

You can upgrade the firmware via usb. No midi involved. Try it.

You mean reset the firmware that’s already in the OP-1? But to upgrade the firmware, of which i have the latest, you need to be connected to the PC/Mac via USB.

So you can not connect to the computer with usb?

That’s right, Just stopped working from one minute to the next after 1 1/2 years. Unfortunately.

3 years warranty if you live in the eu, but in your case not i am afraid.

Connector board worked for me from ifixit. Fixed my flakey mic too.

You mean changing the connector board fixed your midi issues?

Shut down issues the OP is having reference in his post.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but i thought we don’t need yet another “power switch” one. Does anyone happen to know the part number of that C&K switch? everything else on my OP1 works well and i don’t want to mess with it by swapping out a whole board, but will need to change the switch.

1 Like

@eesn
i can’t say this for sure as i haven’t actually ordered this part to confirm
i hesitate to post b/c of this
but this looks like the closest match in the C&K slide switch catalog
and there aren’t any others that are even close
part number JS102011SAQN
all the measurements match the datasheet and it looks the same to me
see for yourself…
js-series datasheet

entire slide switch catalog

2 Likes