OP-1 keys - some discoloration

The plastic keys on my op-1 are starting to change color when compared with the cool off white of the outer case.
Just wondering if anyone else is encountering this and what I might be able to do to restore the keys to the original hue.
I’ve had my op-1 since 2012 so it may fall under long term care/restoration work.

Reminds me of the original Super Nintendo system in the US, they way it kind of “yellowed” over time. I say, if you’ve had that thing since 2012, wear it like a badge! Hallowed instruments all have patina from their artists playing the crap out of them!

Curious, have you had any hardware issues (or software) since you got it?

@FLDPLN Functionally, the OP-1 has been pretty solid. I did have to replace the connector board when the 3.5mm audio out port became touchy. Not a big repair, but I did have to wait for a few months until this part was in stock before replacing it myself.
I do see that it’s relatively easy to replace the keyboard from instructions on iFixit, but the keyboard is $99 and not in stock at the moment.
It’s nice to think that the “yellowing” keys are a sign that this synth has been well-loved. Thanks for your perspective and comparison to a classic Nintendo console!

1 Like