OP-1 Midi In details?

So I’m waiting for my new Kenton to arrive. And here’s my question: Does the op work as a midi through unit sending all messages back and out the Kenton output. I’m suspecting this will leave a midi feedback in my system that I’ll have to work around somehow. Any help is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Please and thank you @adh82

Most welcome!
Enjoy, especially when using the midi LFO too, wow!

Bump :wink:

@clawsome If the kenton is anything like an original iconnectmidi then - yes it has midi through and I’ve encounted some weird feedback issues, but that’s only through experimenting.

i’m pretty sure it doesn’t. midi doesn’t pass thru the op1 like that. also the kenton doesn’t have any routing options like the iconnectmidi. it only passes DIN to USB and USB to DIN. so no thru there either.

Good call, docsherm.

Yeah, the editor for iConnectMIDI is great! Wish Oplab had something like that…

Thanks for the info everyone. Just got the Kenton today and have combined it with iconnect 2+. It saves money and space compared to iconnect 4. Everything worked on first try. This is definitely worth recommending.

Also: I can confirm that the op-1 does NOT have midi through, which is a huge advantage for me = no feedback.

Hi there ,
Recent per chaser of the OP1 and trying to decode it’s midi mind abilities .
Spent a while wrestling with it & figuring some if the stuff the manual really should include and thort maybe
I could get some joy from fellow users here .
I’ve tried teenage engineering with questions but no replies worth having so far …

1. I’m using the ‘midi lfo’ . It let’s me route 4 midi lfo’s to the modulation destinations .
    Most of these modulation possibilities are semi decode-able from the color coded dots & their ‘shift’ parameter buddies .
    However - one of the destinations - the 'spkr & ‘music note’ - which is the overall ‘operator’ pitch and ‘volume’ modulations in it’s ‘tremelo’ LFO counterpart , but has 4 differant modulation destinations in the ‘midi lfo’ version… Would LOVE to know what they are …my guess is pitch , volume , both , but the last ? Something to do with modulation envelope ???

2 ) I want to interface midi to the OP1 from nonDAW midi sources .
Does anyone know if the midi man midisport 4x4 USB hub will work as an interface ?
I understand Kenton make a unit , but it’s pricey for a work around .

1. does anyone have the 3rd party manual ? I found a couple of pages on amazon & it looks
    Like it has more info . ( by chance I met a guy who worked in the Ableton interfacing for T.E. & he was as in the dark as I am on all these points…)

1. does anyone know what the parameters are on the DNA synth ?
      There are 4 of them . It’s not in what I believe is their latest manual .
  2. anyone had joy getting missing info out if T.E. ?
    I don’t want to join ANY social media sights if possible …
    It’s a funny beast . A lot of uber sweet details & quick draw functions , then obvious other details so
    blatantly missed . It leaves one with the impression it’s very much aimed at a certain type of person and a certain mentality that I am not relating too …??

Thank you in advance for any helps & hope it’s goodtimes where yr at

1 Like

Damn I hadn’t seen this thread for a long time.

The video @Kites talked about made things clearer in my mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qJ_FvGbVu0

So @sonic, for (anyone looking for the answer to) your question #1 you can change the destination of the incoming CC signal with Shift + Knob (look at the other LFO if you don’t get the different drawings) then simple knob enable to set which control knob the CC signal control for this destination.

Hey guys,

I don’t suppose anyone has an Engine sequencer, and can tell me if the OP-1 receives midi OK from it?

Cheers.

Hey guys, I’m brand new to the OP-1 and I’m really excited to try it out!

I have one HUGE QUESTION I really need answered! How do you control the OP-1 with an external midi keyboard? And if I can use an external keyboard will it be velocity sensitive? Thanks so much!

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the OP-1 and I'm really excited to try it out!

I have one HUGE QUESTION I really need answered! How do you control the OP-1 with an external midi keyboard? And if I can use an external keyboard will it be velocity sensitive? Thanks so much!
Are you using a computer alongside it? If so, a DAW or free MIDI routing app can handle the MIDI routing from controllers to the OP-1. If not, you'll need a USB Host. Check this link.

Yes, you will have velocity sensitivity with an external controller.

Are you using a computer alongside it? If so, a DAW or free MIDI routing app can handle the MIDI routing from controllers to the OP-1. If not, you'll need a USB Host. Check this link.

Thanks so much! I’ll just use my laptop :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! I'll just use my laptop :)

Do let me know if you need any help with the routing in your DAW or the MIDI apps (there’s free ones for Mac and Windows).

Hey there. Long time no see. Any way to add Program change to change one of the 8 synth patches? Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the OP-1 and I'm really excited to try it out!

Does the OP-1 take Mod- and pitch controls in as well, or do you have to use the MIDI LFO module to use the mod wheel?

@LibertineLush said:

Are you using a computer alongside it? If so, a DAW or free MIDI routing app can handle the MIDI routing from controllers to the OP-1. If not, you’ll need a USB Host. Check this link.

Is there something you must do in order to make the velocity sensitivity work? Mine doesn’t seem to respond to it, on firmware 225

Is there a way to control tape speed from outside?

Octatrack to OP-1 via Kenton. OP-1 follows the tempo set by the OT, yet despite being ‘linked’ the tape speed does not follow the tempo.

Can it not be done, or am I doing something wrong?