OP-1 Midi In details?

First post to this great forum. Definitely sold on an OP-1, just gotta sell some gear and save some money…

The manual only talks about output from the sequencer and use as a controller… What’s the implementation as far as playing synths externally goes? do tracks 1-4 have their own midi channel?

Though I’m probably going to enjoy using the op1 standalone more, just curious about this aspect for live use and use with my other gear.

welcome!
MIDI is pretty rudiment on the OP1. 16 channels in/out but only one at the time. no CC# in besides the midi LFO which allows 4 CC# in only and also occupies your LFO slot. good fun tho’. Not sure about CC# out - i never tried… when using it as a controller it doesn’t work as a sound module anymore. Although I could swear there was a work around. people who have used those scripts for ableton templates could tell you more I’m sure.
I had most fun sequencing it externally from my OT…
as for your question re: tracks 1-4, I’m not sure what you mean. the 4 tape tracks are audio only and don’t have midi support afaik. it would be huge though if they could record midi data. alas, they don’t

Currently with my ipad 2, I can open 2-3 synths and switch midi channels on or zone parts of a large keyboard to have multiple sounds ready. I was simply curious if the OP-1 could do this, to replace my aging ipad that is pretty much a bedroom studio vegetable due to a crack in the screen that I cant risk playing shows with(thankfully I have no upcoming ipad gigs…).

You’ve answered my question, thank you!

One bonus of midi in, is that the synths and drums respond to velocity - hardwired to amplitude, but does work quite well. Combine that with midi LFO on CC1 (standard mod wheel) and you can get quite a lot of expressiveness that is difficult to achieve with just the inbuilt keyboard. I use a QuNexus, with ‘finger tilt’ mapped to CC1 so get velocity and tilt control of the synths/drums.

I use a QuNexus, with ‘finger tilt’ mapped to CC1 so get velocity and tilt control of the synths/drums.

nice idea @husker I have yet to sit down and program my QuNexus with proper templates for the OP1 and OT. very cool device!

(I thought I could plug my own questions in this very welcome thread)

With the help of the iConnect4, now I can plug the OP-1 together with its roommates.
But I find it hard to control it : the transport commands enter in competition with the ones of the OT, I don't see how to disable them.
Is there a way to control tape speed from outside (LFO yummmee) ?
Can we use the knobs as MIDI controls ?
Can I make coffee with it ?
Etc. etc...

All those questions could be easily solved with the OP-1 MDI Bible, but I haven't found any document on OP-1 MIDI implementation so far : does it exist ?

You can tape synch to midi to play back recorded audio in sync and then play a live synth/drum over the top! Lots of fun!

Is there any way to get the op1 sequencers to start and stop with midi
Sync? I have a kenton usb host so i can get midi in and out. The op-1
starts and stops the tape with external midi but not the sequencers… ??

The op tape will start and stop from midi clock if it’s in sync mode found in the tempo page.
the sequencers will also be in sync but will only start if you send a midi note on/off as you would if you played a key on the op, as the sequencers need this to start/stop. It’s annoying but it works if your using an external daw. Think of the sequencers as glorified arpeggios, as that’s how they operate.

1 Like

sure so that works for finger and endless…

I find all this midi stuff a bit overwhelming. Anyone have a good tip on a guide to midi?

Yup it sure does!
I actually haven’t tried the other sequencers yet, might do that today!

The op tape will start and stop from midi clock if it's in sync mode found in the tempo page. the sequencers will also be in sync but will only start if you send a midi note on/off as you would if you played a key on the op, as the sequencers need this to start/stop. It's annoying but it works if your using an external daw. Think of the sequencers as glorified arpeggios, as that's how they operate.

I’m not sure if I’m getting it, but I’ve got Cubasis running off my iPad into the OG iConnectmidi along with the op-1. Are you saying if I send a random midi note from Cubais into the op-1, it’ll trigger a sequencer like Pattern? That would be boss!

1 Like

I guess if we’re on the subject of midi and the ipad. I’ll leave this here again. You can make sweet modulation love through Lemur and one of our members template. Try it, it’s fun!

This reminds me that I still need to try some modulation with my Beatstep.

1 Like

Here’s a thorough midi overview:

1 Like

The Lemur OP-1 LFO is bloody brilliant. I have used it a bunch, fun to do. But shelling out the coin for lemur just for this…I wouldn’t advise

1 Like

I have midi clock out of my OT to the OP-1 and the OP-1 plays slightly out of time (a few milliseconds) evdienced by two kick drum loops slightly trainwrecking - one loop on the OT the other on the OP-1. I’m in tape mode on the OP-1.

I have sync selected on the OP-1 and am using a Kenton midi/USB box. The OT syncs perfectly with other gear, mainly Elektron gear.

Is there something I’m missing here or are other people able to lock in two loops using the OT and OP-1?

this might not be it, but do u have the turbo midi turned on on your OT?

i notice that sometimes having the turbo on throws the midi sync off if ur not actually using the turbo.

The op tape will start and stop from midi clock if it's in sync mode found in the tempo page. the sequencers will also be in sync but will only start if you send a midi note on/off as you would if you played a key on the op, as the sequencers need this to start/stop. It's annoying but it works if your using an external daw. Think of the sequencers as glorified arpeggios, as that's how they operate.

I’m not sure if I’m getting it, but I’ve got Cubasis running off my iPad into the OG iConnectmidi along with the op-1. Are you saying if I send a random midi note from Cubais into the op-1, it’ll trigger a sequencer like Pattern? That would be boss!

Yup! That’s how it works,
If you send a midi note, that’s the same as one of the notes used to trigger the sequencers on the op, it will get triggered. I just put a midi note at the beginning of a bar for as long as I need the sequence to play and it will trigger and play the sequence in sync with your daw :slight_smile:

Please and thank you @adh82