OP 1 MKii

Just thinking…

Wouldn’t it be sweet if TE could make an OP1 MKii? Maybe bring the look in line with OPZ so the design language is consistent between the 2 flagships. Maybe thinking they could take the opportunity to make a few improvements also;

• updated screen and graphics
  • Updated body material as per OPZ and maybe same knobs as OPZ
  • Thinking they could shave off a few CM off the body size whilst still keeping same sized keys / buttons
  • Increased memory for patches as well as sample time for indv samples
  • More DSP
  • Ability to rename patches on the device itself
  • Maybe some Bluetooth midi and audio connectivity
  • Ability to have 2 FX or FX chaining per synth and master
  • Maybe some additional tracks or a 5th midi track that has quantisation that could be used to record onto the audio tracks
  • And obviously new synth engines

OP1 is pretty much perfect for me. Seen a lot of posts on here about newer units failing, limited availability of parts etc. Would be nice if they revamped it to last the next 10 years. I’m fully onboard for OPZ but it seems wildly different to the OP1 so would be awesome for them to revamp and keep their flagship product alive and thriving.

What do you guys think?

It’s a nice idea, but I honestly think it won’t happen… At least not for maybe 5 - 10 years…

I remain hopeful for a firmware update to the OP-1 providing knob press param resets, patch naming, patch deleting, tiny fades on the drum synth to avoid clicks… That’s about it…

@ludicrouSpeed said:
It’s a nice idea, but I honestly think it won’t happen… At least not for maybe 5 - 10 years…

I remain hopeful for a firmware update to the OP-1 providing knob press param resets, patch naming, patch deleting, tiny fades on the drum synth to avoid clicks… That’s about it…

That wish list is nice.
Regarding a MkIi OP-1, that might be a bit frustrating for some of us who have only just acquired our ‘Mk I’ OP-1s! ?

Let’s muse on this

• Updated body material as per OPZ and maybe same knobs as OPZ
  • Thinking they could shave off a few CM off the body size whilst still keeping same sized keys / buttons

Why? With the exception of the keyboard, the OP1 feels nice. One thing about the current keyboard is that the mechanisms inside it do not resonate like e.g. on the recent Elektron boxes. They could make the execution tighter - e.g. avoid double-keystrokes, make the encoders a little smoother, but I doubt it needs new materials. The OP1 is ergonomic enough. The size feels exactly right. It’s not too heavy and not light either to feel substandard.

• Increased memory for patches as well as sample time for indv samples
  • More DSP
  • Maybe some Bluetooth midi and audio connectivity

So basically new innards. They could do this today and it would highlight the OP1’s shortcomings in the choice of implemented features - e.g. the almost exclusively time-based effects, limited sequencers, low quality of e.g. Spring and the synth engines, mono-only tracks w/o any per-track FX, no USB host inside, no stereo sampling. At which point, after you start changing these, is it no longer an OP1?

• updated screen and graphics
  • Ability to rename patches on the device itself
  • Maybe some additional tracks or a 5th midi track that has quantisation that could be used to record onto the audio tracks
  • Ability to have 2 FX or FX chaining per synth and master
  • And obviously new synth engines

With the exception of tape layout, the UI is pretty decent and playful, and I’m sure you’d hear few complaints about it but definitely not enough to justify a deep review. Renaming patches on the device is one of a class of features TE obviously find minor enough not to bother at all, which is probably where they could take biggest criticism. MIDI recording to a track would be possible but it brings up questions about workflow and the need to deepen the UI, which you can tell TE have pressed against (or they wouldn’t have dumbed it down to this extent). The last two on your wishlist are to do with DSP power, for which you’re also looking at the 2nd group of issues (hardware).

So, no. Like Apple painting themselves in a corner with the trashcan Mac Pro, TE can’t simply revamp the OP1 without running head-on into its deficiencies, some 10 years after the original launched. Subsequent revisions would inevitably end up far enough in quality to warrant a different name altogether.

Lastly, if they were to do this, they’d need to announce it in advance, at which point sales of the current OP1 would drop to 0. I doubt they’re large enough to afford this.

There’s enough room for UI updates to the OP1 - unassigned interaction gestures, simple things like allowing one to save and reload midi sequences, even more complex things like mix-paste or undo. And there’s room for internal updates like better power management, more robust i/o board, speaker, volume knob. Look at how those change (I think they don’t) and how often firmware updates come out (I think not often).

They probably don’t see a huge increase in sales to compensate the investment, or more likely, they don’t think it would be any fun to do it.

2 things id like on a future OP device. Multiple channels of synth and drums going at the same time before laying it down to tape. Intuitive multitrack when laying to tape I.E. everything in its own track. Id also like more audio ins for multitracking and maybe a send and return for external effects.

a bit of a pipe dream but something I see happening in the synth scene is importing of solid dsp software. For instance practically everything can run a version of mutables clouds software. check the er301, Orac, vcv, etc… would be very cool if there was A way to bring outside code and run it as an effect or a synth.

ive sort of already accepted that if TE ever make another flagship synth i would happily pay $2000+ I cant describe the amount of joy ive gotten out of the op1 but im sure many of you can relate. Truely no instrument/daw like it. It could absolutely use a refresh at some point though.

the community has jumped in and is working on an unofficial OP1 ish instrument using an raspberry pi. So atleast we have the OTTO to look forward to in the near future.

finally why cant i control transport controls with midi? i need live looping! its been forever TE WTF!!!

@masterofstuff124 OTTO - Oh, hadn’t seen that. I do a lot of DIY modular. Now I have something new to try. Thanks!

I would love to see a standalone midi mode under the com button
and clicks on the encoders for individual shift functions and such…

@Sparky said:
@masterofstuff124 OTTO - Oh, hadn’t seen that. I do a lot of DIY modular. Now I have something new to try. Thanks!

Guys I just looked up the Otto, if it come to fruition and I can somehow get / make one, I am keen AF. Looks rad.

I downloaded the first alpha OTTO image this morning. Couldn’t get it to do anything in the time I had. If I get anywhere, I’ll open a thread here. (Others please do the same!)

@Sparky said:
I downloaded the first alpha OTTO image this morning. Couldn’t get it to do anything in the time I had. If I get anywhere, I’ll open a thread here. (Others please do the same!)

Dude, please let me know :slight_smile:

proper midi would be great. also, a good cross loop fade for synth samples