OP-1 mockup/prototype ideas: teaser pics

hey everyone,

Back in June I had some time off, and I finally got around to starting a project that had been on my mind for years: prototyping some ideas for hypothetical new OP-1 modules, using Processing. :slight_smile:

I really dig the strengths and constraints of the OP-1 as a platform, and I’ve always wanted to try some music-related coding (but never got around to it), so this was a fun learning project for me.

I’ve been meaning to make a demo video showing some of these experiments, but I keep procrastinating. I figure that maybe by posting some teaser pics here, that might light a fire under my ass to get me to actually make a video showing these in action. :wink:

So: here’s a brief description and screenshot of the 3 most successful experiments (IMO)

IMPULSE LFO is a modulation source inspired by acid techno; it produces exponentially-decaying sweeps that behaves “additively”: if you trigger it again before it’s fully descended, the next sweep will start higher than the previous one… hard to explain but obvious when you see/hear it. It also contains simple pattern generators which affect the envelope’s shape in multiple ways (eg every 3rd trigger will have twice the decay speed, while every 5th will be accented), allowing you to produce some really interesting dynamic polyrhythmic patterns with a lot of life in them.

STEP LFO is an analog-step-sequencer-style modulation source, simple and fun. I thought having a maximum of 8 steps felt a bit “limited in a good way”, and it also made the UI a lot nicer/easier. I didn’t want it to be too boring, so I gave each step a “velocity” value in addition to the regular step value, producing a sort of step-sequenceable A/D envelope.

CLOCKS SEQ is my spin on a euclidian sequencer: in addition to the usual patterns, you can also warp/skew the distribution of the hits asymmetrically to generate a much wider range of rhythms than with the stock euclidian algo.

Anyway, hopefully this has piqued your interest and I’ll have a video to share soonish :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Raigan

These look cool, nice job :slight_smile: Would love to see some new stuff like this in Op1. Shame it isn’t as easy for users to contribute to as Organelle :frowning:

Yes, very good ideas to give it some new inspiration. I hope, TE will eventually share the code for the community. The OP-1 would be THE platform for infinite new possibilities.

Make theeeeese please :slight_smile:

Yes, very good ideas to give it some new inspiration. I hope, TE will eventually share the code for the community. The OP-1 would be THE platform for infinite new possibilities.

+1!

Hey @raigan, love your mockups. Re Step LFO, I’ve always wished the Sketch sequencer could be used as an LFO source. I especially like the Clocks sequencer, would totally fit the TE mindset/design aesthetics I think.

Looking forward to the video!

If TE doesn’t want these, you could always offer them to the OTTO project (inspired by OP-1): https://github.com/topisani/OTTO. =) =)
Thanks everyone! :)

@vehka: cheers! I actually hadn't seen the OTTO project, that looks pretty interesting.. but at the same time, I'm not sure how I feel about copying the OP-1's design so closely. It makes me feel a bit bad :/