OP-1 + OPLab + TB-303

Hello!

I just got my OPLab and want to use it to sync OP-1 with TB-303. I choose “option 4” on the selector, plugged in OP-1 via USB Host and TB-303 via DIN Sync.
I am able to turn on both machines in sync using the buttons on OPLab, however I would like to achieve two other things:

1. I would like to be able to use OP-1’s Play button to turn TB-303 on (or anything else that I plug into OPLab)
2. I would like to be able to “arm” the OP-1’s sequencer and start it when I press play button.

The reason for this is that I would like to multilayer sounds on OP-1’s tracks and use the graphical tape representation as reference where in the track I have layered particular sound.

Hints/Tips much appreciated :slight_smile:

My oplab 1,1. Dont send acurate clock to my tb303 x the sync24 out

I believe it is 7 on the OPLab. for question 1.
For question 2 The only way I have done this is volume.

i sync my 303 to OP1 using Oplab in mode 0, make sure OP1 is sending clock and it works fine.

i sync my 303 to OP1 using Oplab in mode 0, make sure OP1 is sending clock and it works fine.

Thanks darenager!

After selecting mode 0 and setting one of the USB Hosts as input I was able to sync the OP-1 with the 303.

When OP-1 is plugged into OPlab it can work in external sync or it can sync internally. The way to check what mode it’s currently in is to navigate to the metronome.

Out of curiosity would I only be able to sync my sp404sx to the op1 tempo and not the other way round. As in, because the SP only has midi in can I not sync the op1 to the tempo of the SP?

pretty sure you need MIDI Out to send Clock/Sync

If that’s true, damn it.

fixed

My din sync output drifts. I can’t get my 808 to play straight, any issues with this? I’m using ableton > usb > din sync and it’s a mess.

I’d be looking at Ableton as the culprit, notoriously bad midi clock.

Out of curiosity would I only be able to sync my sp404sx to the op1 tempo and not the other way round. As in, because the SP only has midi in can I not sync the op1 to the tempo of the SP?

You can sync the SP to the OP-1, but not the OP-1 to the SP. In other words, if you let the OP-1 be the sync “master”, they will both have the same tempo.

My din sync output drifts. I can't get my 808 to play straight, any issues with this? I'm using ableton > usb > din sync and it's a mess.

I am experiencing a similar problem. When I connect OP-1 > Oplab > 808 via the mode ‘0’, after around 10 bars the Din Sync output starts drifting.

Because I also have a Doepfer MSY2 MIDI-to-SYNC converter I connected it to Oplab’s MIDI output and this gives a more stable sync.

I get similar results when using mode ‘4’. Again, connecting the 808 to MSY2 connected to Oplab, gives better results than connecting 808 to Oplab’s Din Sync…

So I guess the Oplab’s Din Sync could still be improved…