OP-1 screen protector poor fit: is it really necessary?

As @masterofstuff once said, a case is recommended. And I think the problem with the dust under the screen is more intense, I know @Virtual_flannel had that problem…

I hadn’t heard about any issues with dust under the screen. Unfortunately a screen protector won’t help with that…

Since the OP-1 does not have a touch screen, just don’t poke at the screen. I don’t have a screen protector, and I have only cleaned my screen a few times in the years I have had it, and the screen looks completely new.

I bought a pack of 5 iPhone screen protectors from eBay (that I'd never use on my iPhone!!) for about $2 - cut them up and used them on the OP-1. Cheap, and if you get a bubble - throw it away and put another on.

This. Cut to size, fits perfectly and cost me £1.50 (and I have another 10 or so spare left over). Better to be safe than sorry, especially as my kids like having a tinker on my OP-1 occasionally.

Yeah, I could probably easily go an entire year without touching the screen. However, my kid (and wife) seem to think EVERYTHING is a touchscreen. I’m not worried about scratches from objects – I just want to know I can periodically wipe off their fingerprints if necessary. I tried cutting an aftermarket screen protector down to size, and it was better than the official one, but it still ended up with a “bubble border” around all four sides. Again, maybe my screen cover is imperceptibly misshapen and therefore will never play nicely with a screen protector. At this point, I’m hoping that the improved screen cover is not nearly as fragile as the original one, and that I’ve been worrying about nothing. I really don’t want to exchange the OP-1 on a hunch, and this has been a time-sucker. Fingers crossed I’ll be fine going with the naked screen.

stupid question, did u try cleaning the screen first? maybe u got some dusty on the corners that are causing your bubbles?

Not a stupid question, but I first tried to apply the protector straight out of the box, after removing the OP-1 plastic template (which I realize doesn’t necessarily seal up the screen). Anyway, I looked first, and the screen had no dust or marks. And I didn’t want to attempt a pre-emptive cleaning, out of fear that the cleaning itself would scratch the screen.

I just experienced the same thing with my new, fresh out of the box, OP-1. In my estimation, the screens are slightly curved, and the TE protectors are too thick to adhere at the edges. Sorta counterintuitive, as the idea was to preserve the beauty of the screen. But, I’ll leave it on until I decide I’d rather take my chances, otherwise.

I just experienced the same thing with my new, fresh out of the box, OP-1. In my estimation, the screens are slightly curved, and the TE protectors are too thick to adhere at the edges. Sorta counterintuitive, as the idea was to preserve the beauty of the screen. But, I'll leave it on until I decide I'd rather take my chances, otherwise.

Thank you for verifying I’m not crazy! Yes – the official screen protector is absolutely incompatible with the OP-1 (at least current production models). I couldn’t stand looking at it, and my attempt to custom cut a third party one was only slightly better. So I’m going naked and keeping my fingers crossed that the supposedly improved screens are more immune to casual scratches, at least from cleaning, which is mostly what I’m concerned about.

I refused to get worried about that. As far as I can see I don’t have any scratches on mine, and I own it for almost a year. It has traveled many many kilometers around the world and the last 6 months I don’t even use a case. And The few times I was worried because I was lugging it through the desert or mountains, I just cut a piece of matte cellophane tape and just slap that over the screen and stored it in trash bags so the dust and sand couldn’t get in. It’s pretty clear to operate and the adhesive on the matte white tapes don’t stick too much.

It’s like with sex… best sex is without the rubber, but if you insist on plugging the pooper than wrap up just to be sure.

@rungabic And may I ask what have the results been ? I’m getting a new model and even I’m worried to death hearing about these things.

recently manufactured op1 here,

no issues with screen, no protector. i put the silicon cover on when i’m not using the op1.