I just wanted to post this here. If it helps anyone else, then I would be glad. I’ve had my OP-1 for a while now, and there are times when I don’t use it for a few months.
After these months, when I take out the OP-1 it seems completely dead. I remember the first time this happened I was distraught! I googled loads, watched videos, went on forums, I found lots of half complete answers. So let me create one post with what repeatedly works for at least my unit.
- It’s not been turned on in a while
- Turning it on, nothing happens
- Plugging it in to charge, nothing happens (no charging lights)
- Turning it on while holding COM button, nothing happens
- The unit appears completely dead, no matter what you do
- It functions well as a paper weight
I do the following to bring it back to life… (it involves updating the firmware, so you can download it ahead of time). I have to do this exactly:
- Ensure power switch is in OFF position (away from you)
- Plug it into charge, and leave it over night (again, there will be no lights, it will look dead).
- The next day, unplug from the wall (it will still look dead, no lights)
- Wait a few seconds, then hold down COM button and turn it on
- Magically, the recovery screen should load (if it didn’t, make sure it is unplugged)
- Press 1 to update firmware and follow onscreen instructions
- Re-install or update the firmware (it doesn’t matter if it is the same version)
- Once finished, hopefully the OP-1 will be back to normal, with everything still loaded
This has worked every time for my device. In a nutshell, it just needs to be charged for a good number of hours, unplugged and then the firmware re-installing. Then it is back to normal (boots fine, charging indicators back to life, etc etc)
I wanted to share because I see many posts with people having the same issue, with advice such as “just leave it charging and it will come back to life” and maybe they are giving up and start using it as a paper weight. I almost did the first time.
If it helps you, then I’m glad. If not, then at least I will find these instructions again for my future self!
Happy music making x