OP-1 Tape vs MakeNoise Phonogene for Concrète-ish things?

I finally found this Instagram I shot a year ago. I’m not exactly sure how I had this wired up, but I was using the Tombola to advance the sequencer on the PO-12 and was playing with the Crank add-on. I miraculously got the Tombola stuck in a “perpetual motion” mode where it kept bouncing one of the balls back and forth between two of the walls and it never fell down/stopped.

https://www.instagram.com/p/0eIOxzlgnh/

I think I was using the gate out of the CV in mode 0 of the Oplab as the pulse to drive the PO…

Love my Phonogene. Often think of getting another one.

But a module I would highly recommend is RadioMusic.
I actually build two of them, and it is one of the very few modules in my cases I have two of.

p.

@governorsilver Great track, really enjoyed listening to it! Its like experimental jazz in places and I really like the dynamics you've got going on.

Yeah - its the combo of gravity and magnetism that causes the sticking, I always get caught out with which direction they should be turned.

Thank you, and thank as well @jshell for listening!

I finally found this Instagram I shot a year ago. I'm not exactly sure how I had this wired up, but I was using the Tombola to advance the sequencer on the PO-12 and was playing with the Crank add-on. I miraculously got the Tombola stuck in a "perpetual motion" mode where it kept bouncing one of the balls back and forth between two of the walls and it never fell down/stopped.

I think I was using the gate out of the CV in mode 0 of the Oplab as the pulse to drive the PO...

That’s kinda awesome! Looks like I need to play with Tombola more to learn how to better control it - to the degree I want anyway. Before, I’d tried using it for droney/ambient stuff but that’s about it. Of course for that application I had to figure out how to set it up so that the notes don’t trigger so fast, and allow them time to decay at least a little bit.

More stupid Tombola tricks - CV in for the Modulation Cluster Fu(k - https://www.instagram.com/p/zGGAYKlglm/

More of it triggering the PO-12 - https://www.instagram.com/p/0eHwFBlgmz/

It took me seeing someone else run the OP-1’s drums through the Tombola to realize that was a good simple noise trick that I should have figured out myself. Here’s me doing that through a Repeater Electronics Horndog for extra flavoring

https://sunhill.bandcamp.com/track/concrete-washout

Good for when you don’t have an empty warehouse room to kick cymbals and such around in any more. :slight_smile:

I finally found this Instagram I shot a year ago. I'm not exactly sure how I had this wired up, but I was using the Tombola to advance the sequencer on the PO-12 and was playing with the Crank add-on. I miraculously got the Tombola stuck in a "perpetual motion" mode where it kept bouncing one of the balls back and forth between two of the walls and it never fell down/stopped.

I think I was using the gate out of the CV in mode 0 of the Oplab as the pulse to drive the PO...

What a great glitch, I’ve never seen tombola stick like that before but it sounds great driving the PO!

@jshell I finally finished the music I’ve been working on so thought I’d share. Its all experimental concrete-style stuff, took about a month to get together as work kept getting in the way. There are a few field recordings in there but its mostly mangling the hell out of the synth engines with lots of tombola, pitch changes, reverse and the phone effect as a crude sample and hold.

http://fieldmanual.bandcamp.com/album/landscapes

(I’ve clearly messed up this embedding thing, sorry about that)

Edit: I think I’ve worked it out - trial + many errors

@wolflegjon - damn man, that’s nice! All on the OP-1? With some of those longer track times, I take it you didn’t do the on-board Album style recording? (I’ve found when I do my all-on-OP1 compositions I just record onto it too as it’s so convenient, but that time limit gets a little frustrating for longer experimental works).

@jshell Thanks, your kind words are greatly appreciated!

Yeah, the 6mins length can be an issue sometimes. The longer tracks are done with the whole 6mins of tape pitched down which sometimes can double the length so I’ve recorded this straight into Ableton - its just a recorder for me.

There is not a single note that has been played by me so in some ways I don’t feel like I’ve made anything at all, just curated whats happened a little bit.

Hey,

anybody tried the MN Morphagene? I’m an OP-1 user, I have an Octatrack, I’m using Abletons Simpler with Push 2 a lot and I’m generally working a lot with Samples and Field Recordings. I’m just wondering if it might add something to my existing Tools? I read that CV control over splices and playback is really nice especially with modules like Maths or Wogglebug. But as I would have to add these modules because I’m new to modular I’m interested in any opinions and experiences before spending a lot of money.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

David

Hey,

anybody tried the MN Morphagene? I’m an OP-1 user, I have an Octatrack, I’m using Abletons Simpler with Push 2 a lot and I’m generally working a lot with Samples and Field Recordings. I’m just wondering if it might add something to my existing Tools? I read that CV control over splices and playback is really nice especially with modules like Maths or Wogglebug. But as I would have to add these modules because I’m new to modular I’m interested in any opinions and experiences before spending a lot of money.

David

Don’t have a modular and haven’t tried the MN morphagene but a user recently added a bunch of midi functionality to the organelle Morphagene patch which was already pretty great… And rumours of os development which will soon allow for control of multipage params simultaneously with CC… Dunno if totally irrelevant to what you’re looking for but figured maybe of interest. And the recent Infinite Jets Organelle patch is also vaguely in this kind of ballpark and is amazing…

Tbh I’m finding Fieldscaper and idensity on iPad/phone my go-tos for this kind of stuff atm tho. Next level… Fieldscaper is totally midified and works great with hardware. Haven’t looked in to that side of idensity yet.

Would love a small modular but money and fear of a gripping addiction have held me back :wink:

Would love a small modular but money and fear of a gripping addiction have held me back :wink:

Same here. Was thinking about the 0-coast already to solve that. If there will be a 0-coast-style Morphagene I will buy it immediately. :wink:

Was looking at the organelle from time to time. I’m already a doing a lot with Max/Msp so getting into patching wouldn’t be too hard and there’s a lot of patches available. Maybe I should just patch my own Morphagene in Max :wink:

Hey,

David

Yes, I have one. It is nice but needs more modules (like tempi or scm). It does some nice grainular stuff it is also a handy tool for a quick recording of the modular systems output. But compared to the OP-1, a lot more money for some nice functionality. Maybe you want to take a deeper look at the Digitakt that can also do some granular stuff and is more like a stand alone unit, that does not ask for more and more modules.

There’s a Morphagene port on the Organelle. Downloaded and trying out tonight, will report back! :slight_smile:

There's a Morphagene port on the Organelle. Downloaded and trying out tonight, will report back! :)
How is it?

@ghostly606 said:
There’s a Morphagene port on the Organelle. Downloaded and trying out tonight, will report back! :slight_smile:
What is the name of it? Acquired an organelle now and am looking for interesting patches.

@dinraum said:

@ghostly606 said:
What is the name of it? Acquired an organelle now and am looking for interesting patches.

@David_R said:

Same here. Was thinking about the 0-coast already to solve that. If there will be a 0-coast-style Morphagene I will buy it immediately. :wink:

Was looking at the organelle from time to time. I’m already a doing a lot with Max/Msp so getting into patching wouldn’t be too hard and there’s a lot of patches available. Maybe I should just patch my own Morphagene in Max :wink:

"If there will be a 0-coast-style Morphagene I will buy it immediately. "

^^^This

@hindsite said:
"If there will be a 0-coast-style Morphagene I will buy it immediately. "

^^^This

You mean like an Octatrack? OT seems to be able to do most of what the Morphagene can… still doesn’t stop me from wanting one though :stuck_out_tongue: