OP-1 Tips and Tricks

Any chance someone has all these tricks in a Wiki? feel like we have enough Tips & Tricks to start one

The CWO can be pretty useful for fake scratching sounds. Using an organic sound (something not too synth-ey), set the frequency and feedback at zero, and fiddle with the delay knob while playing some simple melodies. With a bit of patience (several takes), chopping/rearranging, and sheer luck, some pretty cool results can be achieved. This link is a good example.

https://soundcloud.com/user-388190003/sleap-on-it

2 Likes

It’s funny that the fake scratching post killed this thread.

I’ve digested the meat of this thread into a single Markdown file and put it up on Github.

It’s had minimal editing, possibly looks ugly, and will almost certainly never be touched by me again - I only did it to gather the good stuff ready for a long flight. If someone wants to send a fantastic pull request I might look at it, but this is several thousand degrees left of my day job :).

You can do whatever you want with it. One idea might be to fork it and make a wiki from it.

You can look at it here: OP1Tips digested. If you’re a GitHub user who wants to fork your own copy, clone it from here: https://github.com/ratbag98/op1tips.git. Have fun.

Note I’ve not read the tips in detail, just skimmed and corrected a few examples of drunk typing. There may be errors and there may be language that offends - sorry about that, none of it comes from me and I’ll happily bowdlerize if requested - the OP1 is surely a tool/toy for all ages and I don’t want any grief.

And finally: a HUGE thank you to the hundreds of contributors to this thread. Awesome.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for digesting! I have searched through this thread to find tips I remembered having read here many times. This makes future researches easier.

1 Like

Working on it:

1 Like

Added this to my digested tips list (see a couple of posts up) whilst also fixing some typos and applying a little bit more organization.

I think this is really usefull when testing out what pitch you want to play your samples in (in your drum sampler)

got some good results with:
Phonic (green knob) to 99
Baud (white knob) to 00
Telematic (red knob) to 99
and shift + blue to adjust the pitch

Cool, would be nice to have fine tune in drum sampler, hey? But I guess you could resample from phone. Good stuff :slight_smile:

Well that’s the most fun I’ve had all lockdown. Absolutely crazy noises When pushing things to the extremes. Thank you

God bless you, KrisM

Well just to give some live into this thread i want to share a tip from my side.

If you plan on selling your OP-1 because of lack on inspiration, frustration or what ever, read those tips n tricks, try them all, find your favorits, your style and you‘ll never want to trade your OP-1! :blush:

1 Like

Agree, this thread is gold

1 Like

I checked if it was already described in this thread but couldn’t find it so here is my tip for stereo bounce:

Works for overdubbing multiple (in theory infinite) tracks while keeping the track’s panning.

1. Start with 3 tracks. E.g track 1 drums, track 2 bass, track 3 synth.
2. Pan and level the tracks the way you would like them to be (can not be altered later)
3. Go to mixer page 4 and kill the left track (blue all the way down).
4. Go to track 4 in tape, activate ear
5. Record / bounce with ear the 3 tracks to track 4. This will be your right channel track.
6. Now make sure track 4 is empty again by either lifting track 4 and keeping it in the “lifting-buffet” or paste it somewhere else on an empty part of the tape.
7. Repeat step 3, 4 and 5 but this time kill the right master track (green all the way down, open up blue).
8. Retrieve your right channel track by dropping it in channel 3 for example (you’ll lose whatever is on there)
9. Now you’ve got your right channel on 3 and your left on 4. Hard pan track 3 to the right and track 4 to the left. If you solo these two tracks you should hear the same as in step 2.
10. You can now clean out track 1 and/or 2 and record a new voice. Pan and level it the way you like.
11. Kill master left again with blue (be aware that if you use gain/release compression at this stage you will compress the track and possibly compress it again if you use compression in your final mix. So it will sound louder than you heard before)
12. Mute all the other tracks except the one you want to record
13. overdub to track 3 with ear
14. Repeat step 11, 12 and 13 for left (kill green, open blue)
15. You can clean out the track you just overdubbed and start again from step 10.

The result is that track 3 and 4 are going to be you “master” stereo tracks. Just like in the old tascam days.

Things to consider:

• if you overdub check the EQing and FX that are active on the master mixing. Do you want these to apply only to the track your “pasting” on your master tracks?
  • you can lift-drop track 3 or 4 when you’re overdubbing if you want to be able to undo the change if you screw up somehow. (But you can not hear the result of both overdubs while keeping this undo function, unless you paste one of the two on an unused part of the tape)
  • you will not be able to change anything about the track you pasted on the master track (for example if you want to fine tune it later in a DAW than this is not a good method)
  • because you have 2 empty tracks each time you could also first overdub from 1 to 2 with EQ/fx. And than overdub from 2 to 3 and 4 with a second EQ/fx.
  • it takes quite some time …

Hope I explained it clear enough. Have fun!
Rocksoul

7 Likes

Don’t know if this is ever looked at, but I’ve updated my repository of tips from this thread with the last couple: GitHub - ratbag98/op1tips: Digested tips from op-forums OP-1 Tips and Tricks thread.

2 Likes

When I’m resampling three drumtracks to one the volume is overal lower.

I duplicate the loop, I mute track 1 and 4, set drive to zero, tape volume max. I then resample to track one, set drive back to 10, delete track 2 and 3.

Cycling the original loop and the resampled part together, the resample sounds lower in volume. ?.

That’s great - thanks!

These tips are such a great resource - thanks to everyone who contributes.

1 Like

I’m working on a series on OP-1 and Field. Hopefully people find it helpful. Here’s the first video in the series:

Purchased a headphone splitter. To my pleasure the volume is much higher and drives my HD600 much better.

Keep running into issues while trying to clarify my previous reply. Here’s attempt #3:

I often make mistakes while doing a lot of lifting and dropping, and I’d like to share some “safer” tape navigation tips I haven’t seen described anywhere else.

Moving a take by beat marker increments

This is helpful if you want to do something like move a take exactly 1/8 over or align a specific part of a take with a marker.

Slide the take you want to move (shift + blue encoder). It will change color to indicate it’s selected. Continue holding shift and use the arrow keys to move the selected point to the nearest bar marker.

If you start at the beginning of a take, this makes it easy to do something like move it 4 bars over.

If you start in the middle of a take, it will move that exact spot to the nearest bar marker. If you take some time to put the loop in point at the exact spot you want on a bar marker, you can hit stop to return to that point and can use the above method to move that exact spot to a nearby marker.

Navigating the tape in free mode

It can be annoying to press shift+arrow over and over to get from a pattern at 0:30 to a pattern at 5:30. Additionally, I often leave a 60s gap on my tape so I can record and chop up things on the tape itself, and this technique has made it faster to skip those sections.

In beat match mode, shift + arrow takes you to the next beat marker. In free mode (metronome → green encoder fully counterclockwise), shift + arrow takes you to the end of the current take or the beginning of the next take on that track.

Moving a take in free mode

A few times I’ve wanted to push takes right up against each other (or move them to the other side of a gap of silence), and I combine the above methods to speed up the process:

Switch to free mode and start to slide a take. Arrow keys will move that take as closely as it can go to the next take on the same track.

6 Likes