OP-1 Battle #76: off-the-grid

I tried this out.

no grids, all punch-in.

used the sketch, and tbhā€¦in some cases, itā€™s sketchy. I could try to fix some of the glitches, eventually.

sorry for going over time.

7 Likes

not sure if multiple entries are allowed.

I tried another one out.

again, punching in, and sketch used. although, felling a little less sketchy about this one.

or should we worry more?

6 Likes

Of course, multiple entries are allowed and very welcome (added to brief).

Hi all!
Nice simple brief!

i used the stock sketch for the opening pianet and drum samples but then erased it and made a few ā€œmorse codeā€ and arp sketches. Had a lot of fun with the sound design and used the ā€œGridā€ reverb as the Master FX (never did that before!)

i did use the ā€œloop Inā€ button as a ā€œzero stopā€ (like in the analog tape days) a few times to start the tracks at the beginning of the different sections all together but i picked my 3 loop in points manually with the metronome goingā€¦

This was simultaneously harder and easier than i thought; iā€™ll ponder a second entryā€¦

Best,
psound74

6 Likes

I really like this! Very atmospheric and avant-garde!

1 Like

Hi all,
So here is my entry. Worked on it during commuting again :wink:
I used sketch to draw out the triggers of the first vocal sample which sounds something like ā€œJust no wish no moreā€ (still had some chops laying around on the drum sampler). While recording I changed the tempo, not the speed, down and then up again, making it challenging to sequence the drums in time with it. So I decided to live-record all the drums to it. This way I was free to exaggerate the slowing down and speeding up of the tempo.
The rest was filling up with different OP-1 synths. There is one eerie sound which I also did with sketch to accomplish the bigger pitch bends.
I think it was around 7 tracks in total of which 5 are bounced to two stereo master tracks on the tape (as Iā€™ve explained in the tips and tricks topic).
Enjoy and happy battle.
Rocksoul

5 Likes

One week to go!

1 Like

Here is my entry for #76
Drums are from the Korg Clip Hit, the beginning is live but then it became to wonky and I used Finger and Endless but also enough realtime playing :wink: .
So everything was Off Grid and you recognize some subtle Sketch sequencing towards the end of the song. Besides the drums all Op!
Rule Breaker was some Audacity masteringā€¦but no intense use.

It jumped out to be kind of folklore with the 3/4 measure and brass-tuba like bassline interrupted by some Jazzlines in the breaks.

4 Likes

Ready to ā€œdrive off the gridā€?

Definitely needed the arp, endless, and the sketch (which is doing most of the chord/foundation pad work throughout)

Had fun playing the hidden Filter (All Pass mode) with 1/16 arp while sweeping envelope-driven LFO amount to cutoff!

Enjoy!
psound

4 Likes

I canā€™t use my OP-1 ā€œT3ā€ button anymore :frowning:
Time for a repair!

3 days left. Extension requests can be filed anytime. :wink:

1 Like

Great battle brief! Nothing in the OP-1 scares me more than Sketch sequencer. And I have never used Tape mode without the marker grid. It was like stepping out on a new planet, where I found some scattered-out beats and alien sounds

4 Likes

the only thing I can say officially is that battle rules were used in this track.

2 Likes

I missed this one. Got way too busy with the band and gigs, however, I am going to vote. Enjoying all the entries.

Extension anyone?

It would take me too long. Lots of good submissions. I will definitely do the next one. I started it but scrapped the whole thing. This one was harder for me than I initially thought. Great battle brief though.

I hoped to participate but this weekend was crazy busy - Iā€™d try to get something together if there were an extension, otherwise thereā€™s next time!

Iā€™m a bit busy at the moment, too ā€¦ I donā€™t mind a few more days. What about next Sunday?

Deadline extended to Sept. 26th!

2 Likes

Reminder: tomorrow is final deadline.

beep aā€™la boop, boom bap, umā€¦thank you so much.

1 Like