OP-1 Tips and Tricks

ohpeewon
help
tutorial
op1

In tape mode , press touch 6 and immediatly touch 4( touch 6 still pushed for )few second … make a nice reverse effect .
Maybe its not secret

this is another ‘barely a tip’ but the tempos between 80 and 110 all have the advantage of being able to be doubled or halved because of the op-1’s allowed tempos (40-220), so if you are finding you want to edit the second half of a bar 110 bpm while staying 100% on grid you can go to the metronome page and speed it up twice as fast to get a bar line right where you want the edit point. or if you need a sequencer to play quarter note triplets because you don’t trust yourself to do it right you could set the tempo to 65 and a sequencer to 1/8th note triplets. you could also via more complex math probably do some footwork/juke type stuff by multiplying your tempo by 4/3rds every few bars, haven’t had a chance to get into that yet.

seems obvious in retrospect but i have been doing this all the time since i figured it out.

It's no doubt been mentioned before, but for ultimate portability, the Kingston MobileLite Wireless G2 works perfectly with the OP-1 and allows you to back up your OP-1 to an SD Card or your iPhone / iPad (share your mixes to SoundCloud immediately using the AudioShare app!) and also allows you to copy samples / patches back to the OP-1 from the SD Card.

It's a wicked little device that will now be accompanying my OP-1 everywhere!

I was thinking about whether this was possible as I was planning to get an OP-1. I’d like to be away from my computer for a holiday without getting my OP memory too full and have to stop being creative. I’m waiting both for my OP-1 and the G2 now. Happy days. Yay!

I have a question about the d-box. It seems like some of the sounds in the default kit are at a lower octave than others. Setting all of the parameters of two slots exactly the same can result in different sounds because they appear to be at different octaves. Have you folks noticed this?

How do you change the octave of just one sound?

A little tip for anyone like me who isn’t the best keyboard player, but who still loves to compose music. When you try to find chord progressions that sound good, trying to play them isn’t the easiest thing if where they are on the keyboard isn’t second nature to you, but there is a solution:

Create a set of chords in your favourite DAW and with your favourite synth or other instrument. I made all the regular I-VII chords of the C major and C minor scales, as well as adding some of my most common non-standard chords, like a few seventh chords, add 9’s and suspended chords. I made each chord last half a second so I could get 24 chords, one for each key on the OP-1. That also means working at 120 bpm, which is what I usually compose at anyway.

I saved each chord as a separate audio file, then used Xfer’s brilliant OP-1 Drum toolkit to map them out onto my OP-1. I put the major chords on the white keys, the minor chords on the black keys, using the range from C to B for the normal chords and mapping the others to the left and right of that octave.

I imported it into my OP-1, fine-tuned the samples so that there were no annoying pops or clicks, saved a snapshot and then renamed and reimported that to my desired location in my drum folder.

And, voilà: I can now easily play chord progressions as easily as I play the OP-1 drums, finding new and interesting combinations, record them to tape, add melodies on top, and have even more fun with this amazing little synth.

I wasn’t able to add the file here, for some reason, nor would my website host allow me to upload an aiff file, but a zip file of my chords can be freely downloaded from www.galleryhakon.com/music/op1/pianochords.zip

For anyone interested, the chords in the file are, in order from left to right:

F(add9), fm7, G7, gm7, amsus2, Ab(add9), Bb, C, cm, dm, d dim, em, F, fm, G, gm, am, Ab, b dim, Csus2, cm7, dm7, dm7(b5), em7

A little tip for anyone like me who isn't the best keyboard player, but who still loves to compose music. When you try to find chord progressions that sound good, trying to play them isn't the easiest thing if where they are on the keyboard isn't second nature to you, but there is a solution:

Create a set of chords in your favourite DAW and with your favourite synth or other instrument. I made all the regular I-VII chords of the C major and C minor scales, as well as adding some of my most common non-standard chords, like a few seventh chords, add 9's and suspended chords. I made each chord last half a second so I could get 24 chords, one for each key on the OP-1. That also means working at 120 bpm, which is what I usually compose at anyway.

I saved each chord as a separate audio file, then used Xfer's brilliant OP-1 Drum toolkit to map them out onto my OP-1. I put the major chords on the white keys, the minor chords on the black keys, using the range from C to B for the normal chords and mapping the others to the left and right of that octave.

I imported it into my OP-1, fine-tuned the samples so that there were no annoying pops or clicks, saved a snapshot and then renamed and reimported that to my desired location in my drum folder.

And, voilà: I can now easily play chord progressions as easily as I play the OP-1 drums, finding new and interesting combinations, record them to tape, add melodies on top, and have even more fun with this amazing little synth.

I wasn't able to add the file here, for some reason, nor would my website host allow me to upload an aiff file, but a zip file of my chords can be freely downloaded from www.galleryhakon.com/music/op1/pianochords.zip

For anyone interested, the chords in the file are, in order from left to right:

F(add9), fm7, G7, gm7, amsus2, Ab(add9), Bb, C, cm, dm, d dim, em, F, fm, G, gm, am, Ab, b dim, Csus2, cm7, dm7, dm7(b5), em7

Sweet tip while I contemplate the KordBot lol!! I did something similar with hh rolls to make a trap hh kit.

OP1-4L

@flybry Kordbot looks really cool. Never heard of that before. I’d not mind having one of those one day.

The spring 2016 stipulated shipping time is long past, though getting delayed is common with most crowdfunded projects as everyone tends to underestimate how long things take – or deliberately lie about shipping dates as people will be more reluctant to fund something if it is too far ahead in time.

@<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/2754/Hakon” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Hakon<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> Thx, neat tip :wink:

so i just discovered how to create distorted driven sounds with the master limiter. the input level at maximum will give a clean maximized hard limiting with around 50 drive but roll the input level (blue green) down & you get distorted drive. maybe someone can explain but ive never used input control like this on any other limiter or compressor vst. maybe some auto make-up gain/drive reduction. hard to tell. anyone know of any similar vst??

How to add one or more samples to an existing drumkit

In short: drop drumkit to tape. Don’t mess with noisy part at the beginning. Add your sounds to the end and join them to the rest. Lift and drop back into drum sampler. Assign new sounds to keys. Done.

Wow! Thanks man

A new “Tremolo” tutorial is up on my YouTube. The goal is to show how the new wave shapes allow a “Sidechain” sound (and more) which was harder to do in prior versions of the OS. It has been great for me:

https://youtu.be/qN--JpcVQC8

DJTW

Start recording to tape while being in an other screen / mode:

When you hit RECORD, the screen automatically changes to TAPE. Sometimes this is annoying, because you may want to immediately start tweaking a synth or effect when recording.

Here's the solution: Pressing RECORD does not start the recording yet. While holding the RECORD button down you can now change back to the mode and page of your choice, and then start recording by hitting PLAY.

+1

^ you can also use “arm record” by pressing shift+rec.

^ you can also use "arm record" by pressing shift+rec.

Holly what ??!?

Can’t wait to try !!!

@LyingDalai op-1 online manual has description of this function:

8.11 Advanced Recording Techniques.
A quite special recording technique is to put the tape in Rec Arm mode and control the speed manually. To do this press SHIFT + Rec. You are now recording but the reels are still.

So you can push shift+rec, switch to mode you want, make preparations, and then to start recording just hit play button.
Very useful for more or less synced rerecording something from album back to tape (rec arm -> switch to album -> hit main play + 2[album play] simultaneously).

It’s been so much time since I last read this manual, it could have been totally rewritten, I wouldn’t have known !

Thank you friend !

@tralivallo Thank you so much, I’ve got to try this ! Totally the same about the manual fact as @LyingDalai said :smiley: