OP-1 Tips and Tricks

ohpeewon
help
tutorial
op1

Good tip! Have you tried arpeggio on drums yet? It’s great for quickly generating stuff like constantly shifting hihat patterns.

I noticed today the following :

• shift + > while playing : you preselect next loop
  • hit play button : the next loop begins the playing right where the previous one stopped ! This is awesome !!!
    :smiley:

Yes, this is very useful but I keep forgetting about this feature @LyingDalai

I just lost the count of amazing findings such as this, were the OP-1 behave exactly as you would expect when you hit a button without having heard of the feature.

LOVE => OP-1

:smiley:

I noticed today the following : - shift + > while playing : you preselect next loop - hit play button : the next loop begins the playing right where the previous one stopped ! This is awesome !!! :D

I SO wish it could preselect athenext loop of different length…

I think you can @lefilou, by doing shift-right (to preselect next loop, even if it’s a different size), then wait for it to start playing, then hit the 3 button in tape mode to make the loop start and end points match the current tape snippet. I think that’s right.

@lefilou It’s been said already, but maybe you missed it : Shift + Loop resizes the loop to the length of the current portion !

Or maybe I didn’t get what you meant…

@yoof, @lyingdalai true but when you build and rearrange your liveset on ableton before exporting it back on the OP-1, and decide to put your loops of different length back to back… your loop points are gone and reapplying them manually on say 30 loops would take forever (unless I’m missing something.
It is a bit of a specific case, I know :frowning:

So I didn’t get what you meant :smiley:

What you can do, maybe, is set the TEMPO to your BPM / 4 so that you jump easily from a marker to the other.
Now indeed this must be quite painful…

Another thing : I am almost sure the marker information is within the aif.

First, let’s test it :
1. cut some audio on Tape Track 1
2. From the computer, open OP-1, delete track 2, duplicate track 1, rename it as track 2
3. Unplug OP-1 : if your track 2 has markers, you won : it MUST be possible to backup your markers somehow !

That would let the dev-savvy operators investigate the problem…

I spent some time figuring out how TE implemented markers in their AIFFs. I don’t remember the details off the top of my head, but what I vaguely recollect is that the start and end markers are not just a simple value representing the number of frames from the start of tape. Instead, they appeared to be a struct (which I’m assuming to be proprietary to the op-1) containing a few fields, one of which was that value representing the number of frames since start of tape. I did manage to write code that could analyse a tape file and split it into multiple aifs, one for each cut section of tape, but to get that working, I had to ignore the rest of the fields in that struct.

So there should be a way to have a tool make systematic cuts to all 4 tracks for a given BPM…

Good tip! Have you tried arpeggio on drums yet? It's great for quickly generating stuff like constantly shifting hihat patterns.

I have not! Thanks for the tip!

You can change the quality of the tape stop (4) when using the blue knob in conjunction with it.

You can also get some wild stutters with 6 and the white knob. (Make sure you hit the play button quick!)

here’s a tip of how to create dynamic stereo sound

a melodic example:
soundcloud.com/timcosner/please

1) in synth mode, use one of the sequencers to create a melody. I used the endless seq in the example above.

2) press shift+4 to change the LFO mode to random (the other LFOs can work, too).

3) all the random LFO parameters should be tweaked to your desired effect. the destination should be envelope/adsr.

4) record the same sequence to tape on two different channels.

5)
pan the channels hard to increase the stereo depth. the stereo effect
should bounce all over the place in accordance to your panning and LFO
settings.

I spent some time figuring out how TE implemented markers in their AIFFs. I don't remember the details off the top of my head, but what I vaguely recollect is that the start and end markers are not just a simple value representing the number of frames from the start of tape. Instead, they appeared to be a struct (which I'm assuming to be proprietary to the op-1) containing a few fields, one of which was that value representing the number of frames since start of tape. I did manage to write code that could analyse a tape file and split it into multiple aifs, one for each cut section of tape, but to get that working, I had to ignore the rest of the fields in that struct.
wait, what?!! I just zeroed all tracks and recorded a few snippets on track 1 and can confirm it builds a "regn" structure at the end. 58 bytes per take by the looks of it, edit: with a start descriptor of how many 58-byte structures there are right after the size of the chunk. /edit.
this is a fairly big deal - means we can export regions out of the tapes but also make 'tapes' with regions in them??

@yoof Maybe you could dig up your research and/or sources and post some details about this in their own thread? I also literally copied 4 tape files back onto the OP1 and upon ejecting the drive, it started "defragmenting disk", but afterwards I saw the tape files had their own takes on them. Is this new? running leaked beta.

Not really a tip but you can build great soundscapes by gently blowing in and around the mic, or rubbing your finger on it. You need a big big reverb and why not some delay though. I’ve also had fun result in doing that plus turning the radio on for half of a second or even less… Again you’d better have a big reverb plugged into the OP1 but it makes for great layers of ambiant/strange atmosphere.

Yes, this is very useful but I keep forgetting about this feature @LyingDalai

I use it once in a while to jump between 2 similar loops to create some kind of variation. For example, in 8 bar loop jump between loops each 1 bar

@yoof Maybe you could dig up your research and/or sources and post some details about this in their own thread?

@eesn, I just looked back at my code around Regions… I’ve got this in my notes about the Region chunk in the aiff:

<pre style=“background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: “Courier New”; font-size: 7.2pt;”>* The RegionChunk is where the Op-1 stores information relating to tape segments. It looks like this:

int numRegions // 4 bytes
* Region[] regions // 88 bytes each

There are 88 bytes per Region.
* Bytes 21 to 24 is an int that represents the start sample inclusive.
* Bytes 29 to 32 is an int that represents the end sample exclusive.
* The rest of the bytes appear to be zero.

Posted in another thread: SP303 Vinyl sim emulation on OP-1:

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2646/sp303-vinyl-sim-emulation-on-op-1#latest

@lefilou It's been said already, but maybe you missed it : Shift + Loop resizes the loop to the length of the current portion !
Or maybe I didn't get what you meant...
Excellent tip. I was not aware of this. So you can set different cut "markers" on each track in order to set different loops on the fly while playing!

Another endless tip: while trying to sequence “all my little ducklings” for my doughter I just discovered, that the endless sequencer transposes the currently running sequence if you play the notes legato (press the next key while still holding the first one)
Btw: trying to program a child song with a sequencer is a cool way to learn how it works. With all the note values and pauses.