OP-1 Tips and Tricks

ohpeewon
help
tutorial
op1

I’d love to see a sequencer that conforms to the tape metronome, so we could properly bang in live patterns. It’s really a must. Especially for drums.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIx2qrgDMnW/?taken-by=vanillasun

Time-streching with the G force sensor is pretty radical! Settings are much like 5StarNomads at the beginning of this glorious thread, although depth is turned to -100 and sample playback is Play to End. It almost acts as a granular synth when tilted at the right angle, but is quite finicky!

Time-streching with the G force sensor is pretty radical! Settings are much like 5StarNomads at the beginning of this glorious thread, although depth is turned to -100 and sample playback is Play to End. It almost acts as a granular synth when tilted at the right angle, but is quite finicky!

Vanilla sun : I never understood what was going on in that time stretching video. How do you get the effect you posted?

Vanilla sun : I never understood what was going on in that time stretching video. How do you get the effect you posted?

I’ve got the g force sensor changing the playback of samples (foreward and backwards) by flipping it upside down.

Sample settings;
Set the start and end to whatever you like, then turn the red knob till you’re at the arrow with a line

Lfo settings;
Choose element, G force, depth -100, synth/drum as destination, and the parameter is inbetween the green and blue dots.

Now when you press a key you can vary the direction samples play by flipping OP upside down. There is a sweet spot around the middle that you can get very slow playback and glitchy FX.

I'd love to see a sequencer that conforms to the tape metronome, so we could properly bang in live patterns. It's really a must. Especially for drums.

@Unflattered

It is my understanding that the sequencer only conforms to the tape metronome.

@sclurbs

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/67/op-1-tips-and-tricks/p1

I'd love to see a sequencer that conforms to the tape metronome, so we could properly bang in live patterns. It's really a must. Especially for drums.

@Unflattered

Not to my experience. I mean during the note input phase, when you twist the red knob to demo the sequence, there should be a metronome, so you can bang in your pattern in real-time. Come to think of it, the need for holding “shift” to input notes should be disabled when you have the red knob set to run (demo) the sequence.

While I’d love to take credit for the time stretch idea at the beginning of this thread (because I love it!), it was a re-post from our earlier OP-1 forum (ohpeewon.com). The tip itself came from @darenager. Loving all the tips and tricks everyone is posting in this thread, by the way!

@Unflattered

What sequencer are you using?
For drums and samples I’ll use Endless and line it up by beat.
At 1/16 it’s beats 5 and 13 for snares, 1 and 9 for kicks, hats in between
You can also layer drums on top of one another in Endless.
I just follow that pattern if I need a longer measure.

@Unflattered
What sequencer are you using?
For drums and samples I'll use Endless and line it up by beat.
At 1/16 it's beats 5 and 13 for snares, 1 and 9 for kicks, hats in between
You can also layer drums on top of one another in Endless.
I just follow that pattern if I need a longer measure.

I was just talking about the basic grid. Pattern.

@Unflattered

Not to my experience. I mean during the note input phase, when you twist the red knob to demo the sequence, there should be a metronome, so you can bang in your pattern in real-time. Come to think of it, the need for holding “shift” to input notes should be disabled when you have the red knob set to run (demo) the sequence.

Yes to this! Metronome option for sequencers please T.E…

I found a site that shows drum grooves from various songs. I haven’t tried yet but I bet they are easy to translate into the op-1 drum sequencer

Beats Dissected is a great resource for learning about drum programming.

Über cool ressource, thank you mate !

A+ link!

@Unflattered

Is there a way to sync the sequencer to the tape when not actually recording to the tape?

I don’t believe so. That’s what makes banging notes into the pattern sequencer tough. As of now, my workaround is laying a single note into each step, creating a temporary metronome within it. Then I remove it. The upside is that I’m getting downright tight on playing non-sequenced beats.

I don't believe so. That's what makes banging notes into the pattern sequencer tough. As of now, my workaround is laying a single note into each step, creating a temporary metronome within it. Then I remove it. The upside is that I'm getting downright tight on playing non-sequenced beats.

Does no one use endless for tight sequencing? You can make your anchor and then dabble the other accents and whatnot in as you loop it on tape.

Does no one use endless for tight sequencing? You can make your anchor and then dabble the other accents and whatnot in as you loop it on tape.

Will you please elaborate on what you mean by this?

With endless you can program a loop of snares.

Place each snare on the 2nd and 4th beat of the bar.
Program silence for the rest of the hits in the sequence.
That bar of snares hitting on the 2 and 4 become your anchor.
Record this sequence to tape for a bar or so.
When the 2 and 4 are taken care of, hats, kick, accents and whatnots can be played in by hand.
Layer and layer until it sounds right, then move on to the next piece.
This layering helps create really loose loops.

The snares don’t always have to be an anchor though, you can use whatever.

Endless always snaps to the tempo of the tape where applicable.
It is my favorite sequencer and I don’t really fudge with the others much.