OP-1 Tips and Tricks

ohpeewon
help
tutorial
op1

Hello, here is my trick for programing drums on the Endless Sequencer":

TAKE NOTES as shown on this picture

(image upload didn’t work)

It will help you program your drum sequences, remember your drum sequences should you need to redo them quickly, and once you know them by heart you might not need your cheat sheet anymore. It bloody works. Also you can give your sequences names, it’s in your handwriting, etc. Like a MC writing rhymes on a notepad, sort of. I though about doing grid templates on excel and print them but hand drawn on a note pad is perfect and make them even more unique :slight_smile:

So column shows which keys are used and row corresponds to the step number as shown in the endless seq. Blacked out cell = press relevant key, empty cell = press forward arrow (silence).

I had that epiphany while having beers and playing around with the OP-1 in a tacky English pub in a greek holiday resort 2 days ago (I missed a cold crisp pint). I ended up having many more beers to celebrate my findings and still managed to rewrite the sequences in endless seq.

Now that’s amazing.

@lyingdalai

Merci monsieur!

De rien mon bon :slight_smile:

could anyone tell me what exactly is going on in arpeggio?
in regards to none/once/each/all/trig,
as well as the settings of 0-1-2-3?

I may be dumb but I can’t get a grip on what the changes do…

You can use TE’s printable templates for PO-12 for that.

You can use TE’s printable templates for PO-12 for that.

Nice one, didn’t know about that. Thanks

what do you mean by programming drums in the endless sequenzer? why do i need a paper sheet for that?

what do you mean by programming drums in the endless sequenzer? why do i need a paper sheet for that?

Well, if the sequence is complicated and has 32 steps (or more) and plenty of silences etc etc it helps me to write it down first on a grid sheet. Then it’s easier to look at my notes while typing it in the endless sequencer. And if I mess it up I can redo it quickly as well. Nothing groundbreaking, just notes really.

Well, if the sequence is complicated and has 32 steps (or more) and plenty of silences etc etc it helps me to write it down first on a grid sheet. Then it's easier to look at my notes while typing it in the endless sequencer. And if I mess it up I can redo it quickly as well. Nothing groundbreaking, just notes really.

Or just to remember it after some time because there no pattern memory in OP-1 :slight_smile:

Well, if the sequence is complicated and has 32 steps (or more) and plenty of silences etc etc it helps me to write it down first on a grid sheet. Then it's easier to look at my notes while typing it in the endless sequencer. And if I mess it up I can redo it quickly as well. Nothing groundbreaking, just notes really.

Or just to remember it after some time because there no pattern memory in OP-1 :slight_smile:

Couldn’t have said it better!

Ah i see that makes sense! =)

Don’t remember if this was a feature of the non-beta OS but you can now stick your own patches in the actual OP-1 folders. For example, you can get a 6 second aiff and name it “whatever”. Put the OP-1 in DISK mode. Within synth, you can make a “sampler” folder. You can then take “whatever” and put it inside “sampler”. When you boot up and check your SAMPLER folder, WHATEVER will be there.

Peace,

1-_-7

Nice find Samurai1v_v7Black, I didnt knew that :slight_smile:

@LyingDalai it’s outrageous that pen and paper has to be resorted to. This is 2016! Come on, TE- saving sequences shouldn’t have to be done on pen and paper.

@<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/2010/daedalus1115” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>daedalus1115<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> yes this is not very convenient. But OP-1 doesn’t allow this.

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>There are a lot of things for which OP-1 does it not that good, but differently.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Note that you can save 14 slots for your Finder sequences, plus 1 Pattern and 1 Endless, which makes 16 slots for storing your patterns.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 22.1px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Not big, but it’s here.

Come on, TE- saving sequences shouldn't have to be done on pen and paper.

Maybe that’s exactly what they want you to do though. Think about it: You just need to get yourself a little black book with squared paper and you can keep all your favourite beats in it. Like a cookbook for music. My hipster senses are tingling so it’s probably a very good fit with the OP-1 :wink:

Btw, if you’re into HADS you might want to look a more “natural” solutions like marking a piece of wood or planting flowers according to beat patterns.

Come on, TE- saving sequences shouldn't have to be done on pen and paper.

Maybe that’s exactly what they want you to do though. Think about it: You just need to get yourself a little black book with squared paper and you can keep all your favourite beats in it. Like a cookbook for music. My hipster senses are tingling so it’s probably a very good fit with the OP-1 :wink:

Btw, if you’re into HADS you might want to look a more “natural” solutions like marking a piece of wood or planting flowers according to beat patterns.

I like the way you think. Just imagine the fragrance, walking through a beat pattern garden at night.

Ahaha you’re killing it guys !

Just got an OP1 and this thread is blowing my mind. Thanks all!