OP-1 Tips and Tricks

ohpeewon
help
tutorial
op1

Is there some trick to make the sample length exactly that of a clip of audio I'm lift/dropping into it? Most of the time, there's some residual sound left from the sample that was loaded with the sampler engine. Annoying.

You can sample 6 sec of silence before dropping actual clip.

Is there some trick to make the sample length exactly that of a clip of audio I'm lift/dropping into it? Most of the time, there's some residual sound left from the sample that was loaded with the sampler engine. Annoying.

I have two snapshots saved for the Synth and Drum tracks - “Silence”. Always use that th

ohh. That’s clever.

I’m thinking I’ll do a 1 sample long sample of silence, called “1” or something similar to reach the top of the list… simple and efficient :smiley:

Thanks!

I’m sure this has been mentioned but I’ve been having fun changing
the radio station while sampling the radio. just turn the green knob while
you are sampling. actually found some really wild sounds fading into and out
of strong stations.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I've been having fun changing the radio station while sampling the radio. just turn the green knob while you are sampling. actually found some really wild sounds fading into and out of strong stations.

This is greatly improved with the newly leaked beta OS! Pressing down the green knob will autotune to the nearest station, allowing for some pretty hilarious remixes and DJ crosstalk.

How do ya’ll build drum kits with various sounds from the different preset kits? Like if I wanted a kick drum from this kit and the snare from that kit to use in the same sequence…?

And is there a way to have an effect applied only to one sound? For example if I want the nitro applied to the kick but the other sounds in the kit “dry”…? Or also one effect to a particular sound and a entirely different effect to another, and be able to use those in the same sequence…?

Impossible? Do you have to snapshot the drum sound once you have it as you like and then build a custom kit with these new samples to do this?

Thanks! Sorry if this has come up somewhere… Tried searching the forum but didn’t see anything…

The way I approach this, @kindsoul, is to overdub different layers of drums. Eg, I might decide to do a breakbeat and have a rough idea of how that might sound in my head. So I’ll just enter the kicks into a sequence of their own and lay it down to tape. And then add some 1/16 beat hats in their own sequence with some funny lfo effect or something. Then lay down a snare with some reverb or something, etc.

ah cool I’ll give that a whirl thank you, yoof

Not sure if I really got you, but if you wanted to build a new kit from samples in different kits, I’d probably just record the individual hits to tape, each with the effects you want. Then just Shift-slice to join the clips together and lift+drop to a drum sampler.

Resampling! Want a distorted bass drum? Stick an effect on it, drop it on the tape and build up a kit. There is a really good @cuckoo YouTube tutorial showing a workflow. Sound like a chore? Its not. It’s great fun! I’ll find the link.

Not sure if I really got you, but if you wanted to build a new kit from samples in different kits, I'd probably just record the individual hits to tape, each with the effects you want. Then just Shift-slice to join the clips together and lift+drop to a drum sampler.

Hadn’t thought of that either thanks. So if you record all the individual hits to tape, join them, and keep it all under 12 seconds you could then bring it into the drum sampler? And then in there assign the keys to whatever hit you desire by playing with the in and out points? Cool.

Would the “ear” function do the same thing as lift+drop, i.e. “resample” the loop in tape and record it into drum sampler?

I’ll have to play around with it, but this saves me so much time/brain cells. Thanks

http://youtu.be/vJwU8utM7iE

Resampling! Want a distorted bass drum? Stick an effect on it, drop it on the tape and build up a kit. There is a really good @cuckoo YouTube tutorial showing a workflow. Sound like a chore? Its not. It's great fun! I'll find the link.

Yeah cool! I hadn’t refreshed the page to see your post before I replied earlier, but yes this is what I was thinking. Great video. Great forum thanks people!

Guys guys guys, did you know op-1 kave a some sort of VOCODER? I did not!

1. Choose cluster synth. All knobs full counterclockwise, green full clockwise.
  2. Envelope can be just rectangle (gate-type).
  3. Element LFO, mic as a source, that “note and speaker” icon as destination, modulate white parameter, and pretty high LFO ammount (70 works well).
  4. Choose radio for example as sampling source, find stationwhere no music but speech.
  5. Play chord on keyboard.
  6. Yay!

Other synth engines may work too.

Thank you @tralivallo.
I’ve sampled the synth from my Ultranova :slight_smile:

This might not be anything new to most people but I stumbled on it, initially got confused by it and now seems like something I’ll use a lot.

Find 4 bars (or thereabouts) that you like from a fully arranged idea/song that you’ve got on OP tape. Sample the bars out in to drum sampler. Set every key’s playback option to ‘loop’. Open/activate Sketch sequencer. the ‘Marx’ picture works good for this (reluctant to delete it now…). close sequencer page and start messing with keys. Instant goldmine for random/insane loops. Used this technique and from one drumkit and the marx drawing on the sequencer I ended up with the bones of 5 new songs in 20 minutes…

Hopefully of use to a few people and not something that EVERYONE out there has already done :wink:

@Callofthevoid Thx for the trick, I’ll try this !

Sounds right up my alley, thanks!

Let’s take a moment to appreciate the amazing multimode filter in the D-Synth! Here’s a tip for creating a crazy morphing synth/pad sound!

1. Dial in a sound you like in the D-Synth

2. Create an envelope with a medium attack, lots of sustain, and a good amount of release

3. Set the value LFO to slowly sweep the RED parameter of the synth. This is controlling the cutoff of the multimode filter. It also selects which filter you’re using.
My settings are as follows:
Speed - Sync 1
Amount - 53
Dest - Synth
P. Dest - red

4. Find the sweet spot by fiddling with the initial position of the red knob on the synth screen (the filter cutoff) and adjusting the AMOUNT on the LFO screen. Good general OP-1 advice here TWIDDLE ALL THE KNOBS AND LFO EVERYTHING.

5. Add a little atmosphere with the CWO. I use this instead of regular delay because you can detune the echos with the SIDEBAND. My settings are as follows:
Freq - 20%
Delay - 84
Fdback - 65
Sideband - 4 red lines filled, just use your ears. You want the echos slightly out of tune.

Results? https://soundcloud.com/heatseekerrr/d-synth-multimode-filter-test/s-PKFdE