OP-1 Tips and Tricks

I just discoverd that the pattern sequencer can be played "live" without using HOLD: just play a drum pattern keep the key pressed and switch to the sequencer without moving your finger from the key. Now you can tweak the pattern parameters.
Woah this comment just reminded me there is a pattern seq?! I haven't used it yet, never made it past endless and finger haha I have been meaning to check out the tombala and sketch ones but yeah there's a pattern one too :O
if you download this patch and drag it on your device, you get instant access to the filter fx from the custom firmware. you can then change the synth engine via shift + 1 and apply the fx to other synths.

https://op1.fun/users/theredbear/patches/cluster_pad

So I thought this was a joke, because I hadnā€™t heard about it. Not only is it legit, thatā€™s one hell of a filter. Some modes are a good stand-in for resonator models, so you can get some nice body out of your instruments. You donā€™t get resonator interaction, so it sounds a bit off, but try HP IV with a low cutoff + some drive and res with the String synth and youā€™ll see what I mean.

we need this effect.

I just discovered some interesting techniques in off-grid mode: recorded some audio snippets to a tape track (like a song, from the radio), then rerecorded that to master-track with FX. Then back to tape. Cut the recording while playing it by tapping the tempo on the Slice button works really well to create a grid. Then press Shift+Loop to set the current (playing) snippet to loop and check if itā€™s running smooth ā€¦ and now you can copy/paste/paste/paste/paste to make your own grid.

if you download this patch and drag it on your device, you get instant access to the filter fx from the custom firmware. you can then change the synth engine via shift + 1 and apply the fx to other synths.

https://op1.fun/users/theredbear/patches/cluster_pad

So I thought this was a joke, because I hadnā€™t heard about it. Not only is it legit, thatā€™s one hell of a filter. Some modes are a good stand-in for resonator models, so you can get some nice body out of your instruments. You donā€™t get resonator interaction, so it sounds a bit off, but try HP IV with a low cutoff + some drive and res with the String synth and youā€™ll see what I mean.

we need this effect.

?? Just download a patch that has it, like stated above. Same is true for ITER synth and filter in ur drums. Once ur op opens it , it wonā€™t stop it. The effect is built in already

great thread, iā€™m looking forward to trying out so many of the suggestions

probably this is an obvious one, but if you twiddle the blue knob whilst playing back, you can subtly vary the tape speed (it seems more subtle speeding it up than slowing it down). i like to get a loop going and record to album whilst tweaking playback speed, then record the album back onto tape. usually to fit the warped recording into the bar markers i have to fine-tweak the bpm so it loops well

iā€™ll do anything to sound more like boards of canada

I finally read through this entire goldmine of tips! Mad stuff, Iā€™m blown away.

Lots of out of the box stuff that Iā€™d never have thought of. Thanks everybody for sharing!
Some of my favourites are:

• Using straight lines in endless to create detuned supersaw sounds.
  • Copypasting individual drum sounds from one kit to another
  • Copypasting finger sequences

Just wow.

I finally read through this entire goldmine of tips! Mad stuff, I'm blown away.

Lots of out of the box stuff that Iā€™d never have thought of. Thanks everybody for sharing!
Some of my favourites are:

• Using straight lines in endless to create detuned supersaw sounds.
  • Copypasting individual drum sounds from one kit to another
  • Copypasting finger sequences

Just wow.

How do you copy individual drum hits from kit to kit? I know you can copy a single key assignment within a kitā€¦ Also finger sequences?

I just worked out a way of using an LFO as a psuedo "dynamic delay" when using Synth Sampler:

- Choose a good sample for your synth (I used a piano)
- Increase the ADSR release so it has a bit of tail to it
- put an effect on the effect slot (I used reverb)
- on the LFO slot, use a "value" type
- set the speed to 3oclock, the amount to 30, the destination to waveform playback (the faded blue dot)
- when you play legato you won't really hear the LFO, but when you release the key (allowing the release to play out), the LFO will reverse the playback and give a delay-like effect
- you can then adjust the time to suit your tempo/vibe

This is realy cool. Especially on a piano sample when you increase the attack time a little bit you can get a sweep in and then the LFO echoes the sample with its original transient. Sounds realy awesome on piano. Also nice that it frees up the fx page.

Thanks for this one, lets call it the millbastard delay :wink:

I was trying to think how to move to accurate divisions of a bar on the tape (like 1/4 or 1/2) and found a somewhat workable solutionā€¦

If go to an empty part of your tape and hold down the tape trick repeat button (6) then press record and play then stop it will create a 1/16th long bit of tape you can lift and drop and use to kind of measure out what ever division of a bar you might need.

Maybe someone knows a better way to do this that isnā€™t as hacky.
1 Like

Mate, youā€™re a genius!!
I just tried this, and it seems to work wonderfully. This opens up a whole new field of techniquesā€¦ Ie. You can sample stuff into the 16th note slices

1 Like

@spencmo

Brilliant trick, thanks! Iā€™ve always wanted 1/16th note control within the tape. This seems to really nicely.

@spencmo

Really cool hack.

Itā€™s remarkable how people keep coming up with useful ideas here.

Put several different melodic sounds on DBox keys. Sequence all of them at once to a single step in endless. Adjust to taste. Now youā€™ve got yourself a super-weird multi-oscillator multi-paradigm monosynth.

And you can ā€œdial inā€ layers just by holding Shift on Sequencer page and pressing all the necessary keys.

Too bad this is a hack that has to work with weird drum envelopes and no sustain. It ā€œconsumesā€ the sequencer. And itā€™s annoying that DBox is detuned from the main set of engines. If you want to mix it with normal synths on a track you have to adjust master tuning appropriately. It think itā€™s +60 cents. Someone wrote about this in the past. TE said they donā€™t want to break existing DBox patches by fixing this issue, but it could be a setting on master tuning page.

Anyway, issues aside, some of the sounds you can get this way are pretty wild. Since each ā€œdrumā€ has its own (weird) envelope, you can shape attack separately from the main sound.

A cool way to use the hack i mentioned earlier (creating a 1/16th long bit of tape by holding tape-repeat and then pressing record, play, stop)

You can double up a track on two tapes, (like a drum beat) then use the small bit of tape to offset one of them. so one track plays 1/16th after. then pan the tracks L/R so you can some cool stereo effect. also then you can mute/unmute the tracks as it plays to get a chop effect that doesnā€™t mess with the other tape tracks. Fun!

I mostly make instrumental lo fi hop and have been experimenting with the tape stop, reverse and stutter keys in conjunction with rewind/fast forward. You can get some wicked transition/scratch effects by hitting either rr/ff and stutter at the same time, then letting go of stutter just before the beat and immediately hitting play to restart the current loop/jump to the next loop. You can time this with a bit of reverse or stop before of afterwards to spice things up a bit. Tapping between rr/ff at the end of a bar with reverse/stutter held down can also yield some interesting results, as can rolling your fingers across stop/reverse/stutter and back again while holidng or toggling between rr/ff. Thereā€™s a lot of precision required to make it sound tight but you can get some really wicked sounds out of the tools that weā€™re starting to sound super repetitive to me. My favourite trick is to start a track with a sample, play it nearly to the end of the loop, hit rewind, then hit play on the beat to restart the loop and toggle the drum track on the second beat so it comes in with a nice snare smack. Iā€™m working on a beat tape right now featuring all of these tricks so Iā€™ll post it when itā€™s finished :slight_smile:

@dawg_dawgenstein iā€™ll like to listen to your beat tape. Sometimes i play more with the tape itself than with the keyboard.

@TiboDzi I have two SoundClouds I post my stuff on - hereā€™s my favourite track from the ā€˜sillyā€™ one:
Listen to Howdy by Yung Old #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/elliot-fightmaster/howdy

And from the more serious one:
https://soundcloud.com/elliot-ashton-stretch/something-different

Beautiful stuff.

I always wanted to try manual tape recording, so I whipped this up really quick. It works great! Just fold the ends for clearance between knobs, and youā€™ve got yourself a tight little finger jog wheel like setup that snaps on to the knobs very well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fumzHhM9xJudaq3K6

@TiboDzi hereā€™s the tape dude!
https://soundcloud.com/elliot-ashton-stretch/sets/gut-feelings