OP-1 Tips and Tricks

@dawg_dawgenstein said:
@TiboDzi here’s the tape dude!
https://soundcloud.com/elliot-ashton-stretch/sets/gut-feelings

That’s great work !

Incase anyone missed this blog first time round here’s an excellent explanation of the early synth engines on OP1, by a user here?? (help me if you remember who).

http://op-101.blogspot.com/?m=1

@Spheric_El said:
Incase anyone missed this blog first time round here’s an excellent explanation of the early synth engines on OP1, by a user here?? (help me if you remember who).

Yeah, that’s @raigan’s excellent analysis!

Thanks @Vehka :slight_smile:

Yeah how do you copy/paste the finger seq?

Use lift + drop. You can lift one finger sequence and drop it into another.

@l0c said:
Use lift + drop. You can lift one finger sequence and drop it into another.

cool great tip that

Drop a loop shift lifted (copied) from the tape into the drum sampler on the first key. Hold the key with the drum loop to use it as a live triggered background. Now while holding the key with the loop running turn the arpeggiator on. The arp now only affects the keys pressed after activating the arpeggiator. You can also adjust arp settings. The key with the loop pressed before remains unaffected by the arpeggiator.

2 Likes

Two really really simple ones here:

I like the emulated tape-slow-down of both the stop button and the tape trick tape-stop key (key 4 when tape is playing), but sometimes I want an instant stop. Using the tape trick buttons, if you hit the tape-stop and reverse simultaneously, it instantly stops with no “slow-down” effect.

Similarly, if you want to use the speed of the tape trick slow-down as a final stopper on your track (as the stop button slow-down is much quicker): hit stop and tape-stop simultaneously

1 Like

@spencmo said:
I was trying to think how to move to accurate divisions of a bar on the tape (like 1/4 or 1/2) and found a somewhat workable solution…

If go to an empty part of your tape and hold down the tape trick repeat button (6) then press record and play then stop it will create a 1/16th long bit of tape you can lift and drop and use to kind of measure out what ever division of a bar you might need.

Maybe someone knows a better way to do this that isn’t as hacky.

I just figured out another pretty nifty way to get 1/8 time division instead of just 1/4. Simply double your tempo! Of course, this only works if your regular tempo is 110 or lower, but I just tried it and it works. This way, you can snap between grid markers accurately with shift+> or shift+<. Boom!

Trick for drones:

1. Select the sound-texture
  2. Press Record
  3. While recording, turn the blue knob left or right (You’ll not hear any difference in sound).
  4. When you press play, you will hear that the sound was recorded with Tape “accelerations” and “decelerations” (pitch down and up).
    Have not found any use for this trick yet)
2 Likes

By the way, this trick can add “humanity” to Finger.
While recording turn the blue knob to the left and to the right on one/two clicks :slight_smile:
OP-1 will record some Tape artefacts and they sound cool with drums
Recording the white knob works too.

Any chance someone has all these tricks in a Wiki? feel like we have enough Tips & Tricks to start one

The CWO can be pretty useful for fake scratching sounds. Using an organic sound (something not too synth-ey), set the frequency and feedback at zero, and fiddle with the delay knob while playing some simple melodies. With a bit of patience (several takes), chopping/rearranging, and sheer luck, some pretty cool results can be achieved. This link is a good example.

https://soundcloud.com/user-388190003/sleap-on-it

2 Likes

It’s funny that the fake scratching post killed this thread.

I’ve digested the meat of this thread into a single Markdown file and put it up on Github.

It’s had minimal editing, possibly looks ugly, and will almost certainly never be touched by me again - I only did it to gather the good stuff ready for a long flight. If someone wants to send a fantastic pull request I might look at it, but this is several thousand degrees left of my day job :).

You can do whatever you want with it. One idea might be to fork it and make a wiki from it.

You can look at it here: OP1Tips digested. If you’re a GitHub user who wants to fork your own copy, clone it from here: https://github.com/ratbag98/op1tips.git. Have fun.

Note I’ve not read the tips in detail, just skimmed and corrected a few examples of drunk typing. There may be errors and there may be language that offends - sorry about that, none of it comes from me and I’ll happily bowdlerize if requested - the OP1 is surely a tool/toy for all ages and I don’t want any grief.

And finally: a HUGE thank you to the hundreds of contributors to this thread. Awesome.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for digesting! I have searched through this thread to find tips I remembered having read here many times. This makes future researches easier.

1 Like

Working on it:

1 Like

Added this to my digested tips list (see a couple of posts up) whilst also fixing some typos and applying a little bit more organization.

I think this is really usefull when testing out what pitch you want to play your samples in (in your drum sampler)

got some good results with:
Phonic (green knob) to 99
Baud (white knob) to 00
Telematic (red knob) to 99
and shift + blue to adjust the pitch