OP-1 Update 2016

The MD is basically an end of life product. It’s had a great run for the past 10+ years and will continue to be used for sure, but Elektron has made their immediate future clear, imo.

Talking about fruit, weren’t we talking about waiting for the train that never comes or something like this, at some point ?

:B

@Braun3000 For this kind of money I expect TE to deliver a flawless product, but indeed they cannot rule everything out...

just wait for people to realise one can buy a Machinedrum for less money than the OP1 costs

Good deals to be had on the old Elektrons for sure. MD is still more expensive than the OP(850) at 999. Monomachine was 800, but it sold out at that price. I suspect if as rumored (elektron said they won’t be around forever), they discontinue the silver boxes they will eventually go up in price, as they are kick ass machines. Either way, OP-1 is a different beast.

yeah lookin’ to hit the used market at the right time hopefully get a mm for ~$400ish

yeah lookin' to hit the used market at the right time hopefully get a mm for ~$400ish
mk1 prices could get crazy.

Good deals to be had on the old Elektrons for sure. MD is still more expensive than the OP(850) at 999. Monomachine was 800, but it sold out at that price. I suspect if as rumored (elektron said they won’t be around forever), they discontinue the silver boxes they will eventually go up in price, as they are kick ass machines. Either way, OP-1 is a different beast.

To clarify, that’s the MD UW for 999. The MD is $599. But yes, still a moot comparison.

Careful with those MK1s, folks. Elektron isn’t supporting them anymore and that includes sourcing parts if you need them.

True, forgot about the non-UW. I would just never consider a non-UW personally.

lol seriously... what does that even mean? md is awesome but certainly not as portable, versatile, user friendly, etc. as the op1. that md screen? plastic ;p

I just happen to think we'll get higher quality products made, if, as users of the thing, we allowed some healthy criticism amongst us, and in here. OP1 came out a year after the original iPad, and the iPad didn't do much at the time. Maybe to a generation raised on touch screens things feel a little different - iPad mini on the bus, MD in what they call their studio <- incredible depth and sound quality to both devices. Not saying the OP1 is shit, just that the landscape is changing.

Yeah, we are getting old now together with the OP-1 @eesn

Yeah, sure, a sense of what’s fashionable as a sound or even as a user interface is constantly changing, but what’s astonishing is that there still nothing like the OP-1 on the market… except the OP-1. A package of synths, sequencers and the tape. As long as nobody manages to equal or better OP-1’s tape paradigm, it will continue to sell, regardless if there’s a 2016 OS update or not. :stuck_out_tongue:

I showed the OP1 to friends of mine lately.
First thing they say, before I switch it on : we can’t bear electronic music.
Half an hour later, they were sculpting sounds and making beats with a big smile on the face.

Not a single device out there that could do such magic ! Well, apart POs I guess :smiley:
Price is high, that’s a pity. Got mine for a bit less than 450€, they would have got one immediately for such price.

Wow, for that price I would buy a 2nd, and a 3rd…

I bought an iPad 18 months ago. I thought I would love it, and I sure have spent (wasted) a bundle on apps that do neat things for music. But ultimately, the glass interface wasn’t, isn’t for me. And I’ve heard this from other musicians. Tactile control has serious value.

Also, I can’t really use the iPad like a computer replacement I hoped I would. The file system ain’t exactly wide open.
For how much I paid, a used 11" MacBook Air would have gotten me farther with the same benefits of portability.
And it depreciates in value much faster than an Apple laptop. I could probably only get $250-$300 for it if I sold it.

Paid about $700 for my OP-1 in trade value. Considering the original owner bought it new for $850 in June, that’s a far slower rate of depreciation.

I bought an iPad 18 months ago. I thought I would love it, and I sure have spent (wasted) a bundle on apps that do neat things for music. But ultimately, the glass interface wasn't, isn't for me. And I've heard this from other musicians. Tactile control has serious value.

Also, I can’t really use the iPad like a computer replacement I hoped I would. The file system ain’t exactly wide open.
For how much I paid, a used 11" MacBook Air would have gotten me farther with the same benefits of portability.
And it depreciates in value much faster than an Apple laptop. I could probably only get $250-$300 for it if I sold it.

Paid about $700 for my OP-1 in trade value. Considering the original owner bought it new for $850 in June, that’s a far slower rate of depreciation.

I agree with all of this, iPad is good as the synths are cheap and sound good. Make for great op1 food, but actually working with them isn’t much more intuitive a computer.

lol seriously... what does that even mean? md is awesome but certainly not as portable, versatile, user friendly, etc. as the op1. that md screen? plastic ;p

I just happen to think we'll get higher quality products made, if, as users of the thing, we allowed some healthy criticism amongst us, and in here. OP1 came out a year after the original iPad, and the iPad didn't do much at the time. Maybe to a generation raised on touch screens things feel a little different - iPad mini on the bus, MD in what they call their studio <- incredible depth and sound quality to both devices. Not saying the OP1 is shit, just that the landscape is changing.

@eesn Lech said? Weird, I was quoted for something I didn’t say!?

But I do actually own a MD (without the UW) I really love using it to sequence my other gear with, the parameter locks are good fun. They are built like tanks and the MD has been very reliable for me except for the power supply cable failing. Elektron sent me a new power supply straight away no questions asked, really fast and friendly!

The recent price drop made me consider getting a second MD or MM, but I already ordered a new OP-1 (should be here next week)… I need to keep my GAS in check or I will go bankrupt :wink:

@eesn Lech said? Weird, I was quoted for something I didn't say!?

sorry about that. the editor in this forum drives me nuts with its poor UI and output

Any updates on a hard date for this yet? Patiently waiting impatiently…

Got a new OP-1, again with O.S. 14510 although this unit’s serial number is slightly older (in the 19’000s).

Looking forward to an O.S. update, but I have lot’s of things to explore in the current O.S. :slight_smile: So far everything seems very intuitive except for the tape, hope I will get used to it…

Tape is easy and explorative, just follow the flow ; )

mine gets stuck pixels sometimes. they are red. usually cleared up with a couple reboots/resets