OP-1 Update 2016

Did you order your OP-1 from… the future?

Interesting… Maybe worth checking if the last bugs were here…

And so? Any news? :smiley:

@husker As far as I can see I have the same synth engines and effects that are advertised on the TE website.

@LyingDalai I'm new to the OP-1 so I'm not familiar with any bugs, however I noticed a "pop" when lifting tape and a short silence when recording a new track while playing back the tape.

My serial number is in the 20'000s so it's probably manufactured recently, maybe TE have changed some of the internal parts slightly and therefor the OS version is different?

A picture of my OP-1 booting https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13819822/WP_20160208_22_13_03_Pro.jpg

PS: A red stuck pixel just appeared in the middle of the screen. It’s on all screens and doesn’t go away after a reboot, so I guess I will be returning the unit :frowning:

@Lech Maybe try a factory reset first…

And install latest firmware…

I did a factory reset but it didn't help, I'm quite sure it's a hardware fault. There is another user who experienced a similar issue: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1655/stuck-dead-hot-pixels#latest

I just sent back my OP-1 and asked for a full refund, gonna wait a bit (focus on my current gear) and see if more people have issues. Maybe this is an issue with the latest batch of OP-1s?

Lech
Maybe this is an issue with the latest batch of OP-1s?

There’s no reason to assume that. Dead/stuck pixels are just a reality of screen production. I’ve experienced it on several MacBooks and iMacs. A replacement will likely be without issue.

It would be cool to have something a live mode or a way to better play loops in a less destructive way. Also Id like to see if when in sync to external clock if the loop lengths would follow the BPM (kinda sucks when you’re using with other gear and you change tempo on the master and suddenly the loop gets all schwek.) It’d be nice to put the tape channel fx on the input when recording from external. Also itd be cool if they could make the OP-1 say “I love you too” back at me when I tell it. #OPtsundere

I emailed support recently about the ghost clicks and they told me that they are currently looking into the issue. For whoever is affected by this, now is a good time to start nudging them a little…

@lech
I highly doubt it’s an issue with all new units, probably just an issue with the unit you had. I had to swap my first OP because of some issues and my replacement has been almost flawless so far.

I did a factory reset but it didn't help, I'm quite sure it's a hardware fault. There is another user who experienced a similar issue: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1655/stuck-dead-hot-pixels#latest

I just sent back my OP-1 and asked for a full refund, gonna wait a bit (focus on my current gear) and see if more people have issues. Maybe this is an issue with the latest batch of OP-1s?

Lech

Yeah this was me. It’s currently in the hands of the retailer who is now claiming it came dented and may not be eligible for replacement/return.

Fun times. Also while TE emailed me back confirming a single stuck pixel was covered, they never responded to the store I bought it from so there’s a lot of uncertainty there. Kind of regretting the purchase!

TE should have made the op-1 with a gorilla type glass for the screen. Even cheap phones have it nowadays…that plastic looks a bit ugly after some use. And it doesn’t protect the inside from getting dust particles as much as a sealed glass…what where they thinking?

@Zonta even cheap phones have it nowdays, but op-1 prototype was ready in 2010, so it developed even earlier. Gorilla glass appeared in mass market in 2010-2011. And more, with chosen mechanical design TE can’t use glass.

@Braun3000 For this kind of money I expect TE to deliver a flawless product, but indeed they cannot rule everything out...

@erthan Let's hope it's just a one off (well two off) issue and the store won't end up causing you issues, maybe you can forward the reply from TE to the store and they can just send the unit as RMA to TE and let them sort it out, dents or not...

@Braun3000 For this kind of money I expect TE to deliver a flawless product, but indeed they cannot rule everything out...

just wait for people to realise one can buy a Machinedrum for less money than the OP1 costs

just wait for people to realise one can buy a Machinedrum for less money than the OP1 costs

Thousands of other products cost less for sure. It’s just that they’re different products :). I’m currently sitting in a bus and didn’t feel like bringing the Machinedrum with me :P. I often find these kind of comparisons kind of pointless.

Thousands of other products cost less for sure. It’s just that they’re different products :). I’m currently sitting in a bus and didn’t feel like bringing the Machinedrum with me :P. I often find these kind of comparisons kind of pointless.

lol seriously… what does that even mean? md is awesome but certainly not as portable, versatile, user friendly, etc. as the op1. that md screen? plastic ;p

Last week, oranges were more expensive than apples at the market. This week, they’re less.