OP-1 Update 2016

How bout an oscilloscope as an fx so you could put it on the master an see your record input!!!

@masterofstuff124: Grid can be really cool on synth parts if you “tune” it to the notes/chords being played (Blue parameter), so that the frequencies that are emphasized are harmonic with the synth part.

This sketch is made of 4 tape tracks, each tape track is a synth chord through Grid, tuned so that certain overtones start to feedback: Surfacing by Operator Operator 6 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

IMO one of the most unique/interested OP-1 FX :wink:

@raigan:

Love the vibe on this one raigan!

@raigan that is dope; ill def. start to experiement with “tuning” grid! thanks for the tip@!

^ yeah I don't think anyone would like to see anything go. hopefully there is plenty of space and we're worried over nothing. the thing is, sometimes your binary size is restricted to something much smaller than the available storage space and sometimes even smaller than the available ram, so the notion is believable.

when the graphics were simplified, I was under the impression that it was a performance issue. I think that must be the case because removing a few things from an svg file to save space while leaving unused svg files in place seems silly.

As someone who’s been considering an OP-1 only recently, this has been one of my concerns. Looking at the storage/memory specs, I’m not worried about how well it’s using things now, but how well it can use them in the future. And that’s when I wondered if there were any whispers of hardware refresh.

Then again, knowing that the PO’s are 128K and having grown up on things like the Commodore 64 and becoming recently fascinated by the various Arduino based instruments, I’m sure a lot more could be packed in by folks who are smarter than I!

Use the destinations of midi LFO,but source mod from the accelerometer -up,down and left & right.

If people are concerned about space and the variety of modules, surely the obvious solution would be to devise an app which works as an OP-1 packager.

So, tape and album and all those things remain as is, But let’s say a Vocoder takes up as much room as two existing synth engines. Or maybe an FX and synth engine.

You open an app with funky graphics called “OP-1 Factory”. You have a resource meter. You tick from a menu of available preset engines - some of which cannot be removed, like the sampler, as it’s also a core part of the OS.

Click “Order” and the factory kicks into life, building your OP-1 OS and delivering a firmware upgrade file.

Bonus: TE can upgrade an engine/effect/sequencer without having to release a whole new OS.

Extra bonus: TE could charge to unlock new engines, potentially, thus supporting continued OP-1 development.

I want a persistent looper effect that keeps running when you change engines. Just a couple of bars maybe. So I can go “Beep beep beep” then keep that going whilst I switch to drums just to muck about. I know that the tape is almost so rapid you don’t need it. But I’d like it anyway.

Honestly, I do not think TE will cut anything. I see this more as hypothetical discussion. It’s interesting to see what people do and do not use, and even more interesting to see how they use weirder effects and “weaker” engine.

raigan, cool demo.

Grid does sound “interesting”, but I still hesitate to use it because it’s just too damn noisy. I wish TE made it cleaner, or bound the noisiness to one of the parameters. The same goes for Phone. I get that it’s a destructive effect and that it is part of OPs character, but it would be so much more useful if there was a combination of settings where it does clean pitch shift.

As far as Pulse and Phase, they are okay, but effectively have only 3 parameters. Again, I wish they had more even output and a useful fourth param do add some diversity to their palette.

> I want a persistent looper effect that keeps running when you change engines.

Wouldn’t delay with max feedback do just that?

…

As far as custom build, I wouldn’t want that unless OP-1 went full open source. Why? Because it would make discussing and sharing more difficult and detract from the “self-contained” quality of the synth.

…

I vow to play more Choplifter in the future.

I’m sure I’ve tried the looping trick with delay and it didn’t keep running a synth part whilst I went to use drums… but it has been a while.

please make a po- style os for the op-1. more sound less graphics.

@RTK +1 for OP-1 packager! Yeah! My thoughts went the same way just yesterday! It could be the best way, how to keep OP-1 evolving… Great potential in this!

PHONE is dope. Especially on drums and vocals.

^ that

How bout an oscilloscope as an fx so you could put it on the master an see your record input!!!!!

I like that idea. The 3d oscilloscope on korg’s DSN-12 (for the nintendo 3ds) is super cool. I spent ages designing sound with modulated stereo panning to see what oscillating shapes I could make.

Yeah that DNS-12 oscilloscope looks amazing!
Would be cool if it changed colour for frequency or amplitude.
Controls for freeze, zoom, trail and intensity :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t mind an option to load the firmware with only maybe an “init” preset for all the different synths. I also don’t need Chop-lifter on there…but would also be OK with Tempest instead :slight_smile:

^ want all that.

I’ve been paying more attention to DSynth lately. Its filter is really interesting. DFilter effect is now at the top of my wishlist.

I think using the pushbuttons on the knobs as “shift shortcuts” would be cool. Especially for editing Dsynth… And loop point editing on tape, and finetuning on cwo, phone and pretty much anything else that shift = fine adjustments.

I still think that my old idea for push buttons would be awesome:

Each time you push the knob, it randomizes the setting the knob is currently assigned to…

Instant fun!

I want push buttons in random lfo to toggle the different params, so not everything has to be randomized