OP-1 Update 2016

I never, not once, opened the choplifter. Have zero interest in it. Think it's a waste of precious space.

That’s what I think!
:slight_smile:

Signed!

It’s a fun feature. Bur i’ve used it once and could do without it

I never, not once, opened the choplifter. Have zero interest in it. Think it's a waste of precious space.

That’s what I think!
:slight_smile:

+1

I don’t want to see it go, but I would have no problem with it being in a different os image (there are already 2 separate images), which they should be able to make selectable at boot time. I note nobody is expressing concerns about potentially losing tombola.

It would be kinda neat if they did do a separate image for not just choplifter, but other box2d games.

I don’t want to lose any audio functionality. (Love Tombola!)

BUT

Choplifter should go,

AND

we should be able to delete the factory presets.

:wink:

If tombola needs box2d there’s probably no point removing choplifter and keeping box2d. The code for choplifter has got to be pretty minimal, since box2d, svg rendering and the audio engine would do nearly all the work. The graphics wouldn’t impact the code size either. But removing everything that needed box2d means box2d could be removed too, freeing up a good chunk of space.

Maybe my guess is wrong and the space limitations include data. That’s good and bad, you could store less patches and graphics to make more room… but it means giving up patches… and you have to count the graphics for every feature added too. Otoh, a drumkit takes about a megabyte (half that for a sampler patch), should be enough enough for quite a few features with graphics. I’d hate to lose space for any of these… but if we could remove the OS presets, that extra room to use for custom patches would make up for it I think.

I’ve never opened chop-lifter either. They’ll get rid of it when they change their name to Near-Mid-Life-Crisis Engineering.

I’d give up grid for whatever FX that is with the tape UI

I quite like grid. You can’t really tell the benefit of it until you get the OP1 through some good headphones - or even better - a meaty PA.

The only application I’ve found for grid is on my drums. On high hats it adds more hats lol. I also like it for experimental sound design. But the only real application I’ve heard is on the drums…

1 Like

I use grid all the time… mostly on drums like @masterofstuff24 said, but sometimes for other applications. I don’t think there is a single FX I could live without, I use them all consistently. I would love if we could put together custom OS, because I could definitely live without:

• Phase
  • Pulse
  • DNA
  • Tombola
  • Pattern seq
  • Choplifter
  • Bend/Crank LFO
  • MIDI LFO

All of that probably takes up a good chunk!

why is all the talk about space? honestly, they could limit the recordings sections to 5:59 or 2:59 (or even less, the last half second no one would notice) and add (not take away) about 100 things. they probably wouldnt have to do even that. the thing has space. i think people getting freaked out that stuff may disappear seems a bit off. has anything in the past gone the way of the dodo? seems like they are usually additive in nature…

@thenordheimtrust they have dumbed down graphics in the past for the sake of memory. i think thats what everyone is getting on about…

I would trade Choplifter by Tempest !

Now we’re talking!

srsly though, I think lose one side of the album would free up lots of room, assuming the OS resides in the same memory?

I would love to see the keyboard as an Element mod source :slight_smile:

As it’s an update we are talking about and not a downgrade let’s discuss all things we ADD to this amazing but if gear.
I’ve added my ideas earlier in the post, so what else? The keyboard as a mod source is a great idea @chuck
I’d love to modulate modulation too!
The amount of time I want to modulate more that one parameter AND modulate the modulators at the same time always pops up!
The only way around that is using the midi Lfo but we don’t always have an ipad or computer around, so I really think this should be added!
Plus more synth engines and FX,
Where is a vocoder???
TE has to put one in!

more synth engines for sure
just like the DNA engine has only ‘DNA’ as the patch, lets do that for all of the engines. would much rather edit and save patches on the go than have the presets.
just recently played choplifter… out with it. the idea was probably borrowed from the yamaha handysound but if i wanted to play a game ill just turn off the op and play catan on my phone.
how bout an easier way to mix tracks instead of recording to album and then back to tape?
sorry im a recent user of the op so my two cents are actually worth 1.50 …

lol Tombola was the only sequencer I used on the OP-1 for something like the first year @anomalous I absolutely would feel gutted if it was replaced.

I think I started the “ehrmagehrd low memory!” rumor back on ohpeewon after noticing how much space was left when doing a restore >.> But then it was also quickly pointed out just how much space was actually left.

Hell, look at all the POs can do and they have a pittance of memory compared to the OP-1, let alone what’s left on the OP-1.

^ yeah I don’t think anyone would like to see anything go. hopefully there is plenty of space and we’re worried over nothing. the thing is, sometimes your binary size is restricted to something much smaller than the available storage space and sometimes even smaller than the available ram, so the notion is believable.

when the graphics were simplified, I was under the impression that it was a performance issue. I think that must be the case because removing a few things from an svg file to save space while leaving unused svg files in place seems silly.

I love DNA just for the graphics!
And tombola is amazing!
I’d love to see 2 fx per synth or more the ability to have the filters separate from the other fx. I always want to have a filtered sound and add an effect like delay or spring…
I’d like them to swap out chop lifter to something like defender image