OP-1f & customs checks/X-ray scans

I’m off to Australia this week, and I fully intend to jam/write on my op1 at 30+ thousand feet! I’m a little nervous about the X-ray machines at customs & whether they might cause issues with the op1? Given the portability/field concept, I’m pretty confident that this isn’t going to be an issue, but would feel better having heard from some others in the community who’ve already ‘been there, done that’ :pray:t4:

Why should the field react any differently to laptops, smartphones or any other electronic devices ?

1 Like

If you are worried about modern airport x-ray baggage scanners you should also definitely worry (more) about the radiation during a long-haul flight :slight_smile: Have a look at the estimated dosage (in Sieverts) for each…

1 Like

These answers aren’t helpful, though I do know know how intelligent and worldly you are. :clap:t3::clap:t3::joy:

I put my OP1F and TX6 through xray in my bag at security, then in cabin at altitude. They both are fine (as is my laptop). I didn’t even consider that it might be an issue so I took no precautions. I’ll bet you’ll be fine. bon voyage!

1 Like

Huh ? If that’s aimed at me - just pointing out that putting it through a carry on X-ray scanner is a lower dosage of ionising radiation than the flight itself so if you are worried about the x-ray scanner you should skip the flight…
Shall we try to keep the conversation cordial and polite ?

1 Like

Thank you, Johnheehaw. Much appreciated.

Sorry - I was meaning to cause offence. In hindsight, it was a bit too barbed for a stranger on a forum :v:t4:

1 Like

have a good time in Australia…you just missed some big waves for a good surf (and a penguin swum by me yesterday), but looks like you’ll arrive in time for a heat wave.

…I’ve taken my op1 OG through customs/x-ray many times. no noticeable side effects.

2 Likes

Thanks Squiddly! I’ve never managed to get to my feet and ride a wave, not once. I’ll just borrow a body board and feel the force that way. I’m looking forward to it :sunglasses::pray:t2::v:t4:

*wasn’t meaning to cause offence! Freudian slip??? :roll_eyes::rofl:

2 Likes

i’ve had airport scanners affect my phone, maybe my laptop once - that said I don’t bother shutting either off. If you’re worried, what i’d suggest to you is make sure your OP1 is switched off, before you take it through the scanner, so something doesn’t bit-flip inside its operational memory. At most security might ask you to turn it on so they can verify it’s real. Enjoy Oz.

1 Like

I’m in Australia now. I just got here last week from Los Angeles. I have my field with me and it is fine. I’ve also traveled about 100 times with it on a flight with no issues.

1 Like

Not got a Field but my OG-1 / X have been on countless flights with any issues. Pro-tip; if you stop over at Singapore they have a fantastic outside bar at the airport where you can smoke:)

1 Like

Sorry but both the answers you received up to that point were perfectly helpful

It’s pretty poor of you to point out they weren’t and to then make a snarky reply about how intelligent other people might be

Well it doesn’t seem very intelligent to me to question how modern electronic devices react to airport x-rays when it’s something we already know

Millions of people fly every day - many of them with electronic devices - majority report nothing

If they did you would know

1 Like

Yeah, I couldn’t really care any less about your contribution to an already concluded exchange.
N.B If you, or anyone else, think that offering dismissive comments in response to someone seeking reassurance from a community of peers, about an item dear to them, is totally fine then in imho, you’re simply part of the problem, we as a species, continue to face.

1 Like

There’s nothing dismissive about my original comment

You chose to belittle what was offered hence my retort

Perhaps you’re part of the problem also ?

1 Like

Nothing wrong with asking this question. We can’t all be science nuts, some of us are just musos :slight_smile:

Anyway I heard a friend at working talking about taking a film camera through those scanners and he’d been told it might damage the film. I have no idea if this is correct or not, I’m guessing it isn’t, but there there is some (mis?)information floating about - I don’t think any question is a silly one really. If you’re going to wonder and ask, you can bet there will be others who were wondering the same anyway.

Enjoy your OP-1 Field :slight_smile:

PS it’s currently far too hot here in Australia, urgh

2 Likes

Yes, it’s hot all right! Thanks for your comments