OP-Z Bend Remedies

Care to show a picture of how yours is rigged up?

1 Like

Yes it does bend and the edges are no longer sharp. But I see it as a character of an instrument. Like Willy Nelsons guitar !

(Its difficult to document the curve because of cameras close perspective)
Its because of the yellow feet they lift op-z up and when you play all the constant force bends op-z a little bit.
it can be an issue in the future if you have a module inside, the bend may cause bad connection. I have super glued my op-lab (semi)permanently.

If you want to solve this problem, just glue a spacer (equal height as yellow feet) in the middle of op-z bottom cover. For better force distribution.

1 Like

Solution:

The rubber foot in the middle is an ok solution if you only use the OP-Z on a desk or other flat surface, if using it in a portable scenario like on the lap or held in the hand it wonā€™t really help.

1 Like

You guys please stop bending your opzā€™s?? It was never designed to be bentā€¦ It was hard to design, it is almost disrespect bending it like thisā€¦ Ok, thanks! TE thinks you guys are awesome!!:frog:

3 Likes

#stopthebend

2 Likes

4 bent from new, users are not bending them FYI.

First thing I thought after getting my op-z is to replace those yellow feet with 8 neodymium magnets. But than I have realized that op-z uses magnetic potentiometers as knobs. So adding strong magnets would interfere. (you can add electro magnets and make your own LFO effect)
I wish we had original cad model of op-z enclosure. So than you can order a CNC machined copy made out of metal and transfer original electronics into it.

2 Likes

IDKā€¦ Maybe so maybe notā€¦ Who knows?

I sent mine to Teenage Engineeringā€™s US repair center, Triple S. There was no communication at all, and Triple S did not respond to my emails requesting a status update.

However, I did get my unit back a few weeks later with a note: ā€œplease note: slight panel warp within 1mm range is a normal acceptable characteristic of OP-Z unit.ā€

Fortunately (?) mine had a warp in excess of 1mm, so they replaced the ā€œtop panel assembly.ā€ Unfortunately, the pitch bend no longer works for bending notes up. It works fine down, but even when I press the button with all my strength I can barely get one LED to light up. Guess itā€™s going back to Triple S and hopefully they wonā€™t break anything else this time.

And of course the warranty doesnā€™t include reimbursement for the cost of shipping my OP-Z back twice.

1 Like

some thicc hair ya got there m8

1 Like

i was reading the thread, had this idea, scrolled down 1 comment & here it is. at least i know it would work. satisfaction is mine

to fix the playability issue find a rag, fold it & place opz on top.

having said that i understand your frustration and i believe its unethical to sell a product with these defects at such a price especially with the moniker ā€œdream machineā€. not to mention the notoriously difficult customer service

also my solution doesnā€™t work with a deflection of much more than 1 mm

1 Like

Agreed, I ended up just returning mine because of the bend and sticky encoders. Iā€™ll buy it again in a heartbeat if the issues are ever resolved!

1 Like

Iā€™m confused what the rag does?

My unit was bend too right from the package. It has about 1mm from each side and possible amplitude of few mm more. But does it getting worse after that? If you think that type of construction with gutters on the one surface is like natural physical shape to be banana. But I guess additional legs could help with that.

mine certainly did, and not just being bowed in the centre but also contorted width-ways as well. Iā€™d love to compile all our pictures of our op-zā€™s onto a YouTube video with some comical music.

My OP-Z is also bent diagonally, shouldnā€™t be more than 1/3 of a millimeter of difference, and is stable on a table.
The first op-z I bought was unstable on a table, but the one I currently have doesnā€™t bother me too much that issue, it doesnā€™t have double triggers, except for a few occasions when you doesnā€™t press firmly, but I wouldnā€™t want it to go to more with the use.
I think a solution that would help is to put some rubber feet in the middle of the op-z, but all the ones Iā€™ve seen are at least 1mm thick and thatā€™s too much.

I tried unbending mine with some clamps on a stone countertop, then applying slight heat from an air gun to it to relax it. It was great for a few days. Then I noticed it go even worse. Bent most at the corner with the pitch shift. It also cracked from the bottom through the pitch shift pad. So definitely not happy about that. I asked if this has been addressed. Sounds like at most this has been ā€œreducedā€ with updates to the process :-/

I use 4x 200mm radius/2mm depth, placed ā€˜insideā€™ of the shitty yellow feet (yet enough insane design choice). A pack should be under Ā£2.00. Really effective. not helped de-warping the unit though. The whole damn thing looks so damn cheap and ugly. And still they keep on selling it without fixing anything. Zero respect for their customer. Iā€™d love to drive their Lamborghini in a demolition derby just to balance out the karma.