OP-Z Bend Remedies

Hi all.

I love my OP-Z to death. but there is no doubt that I am, as many of you, unlucky enough to have a bent unit.

So, have anyone had any luck bending the Z back into shape? If so, please share any remedies!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Start using the other hand

3 Likes

I put a rubber foot in the middle of mine.

4 Likes

this!

They are all bent, had 4 now every one bent, all from different batches with 6 months-12months between them, all from new were bent, no rough handling, temperature or humidity extremes, never carried in a bag, just kept indoors in box or case.

If you remove the bottom plate and put your OP-Z on a flat surface like an ipad, piece of glass or table you will see that each end is off of the surface by 1mm approx.

You can press down on each end to get it to sit flat but it will pop back up once you let go, I believe it is a manufacturing defect, same as the encoder problem, the switch problem, and the badly fitting Oplab module problem.

It is a real shame the OP-Z has all these problems, I think it would be a really great device if a little more care had been taken in the hardware design.

3 Likes

I don’t even know if mine is bent. What’s the harm of a bent OP-Z?

(I do have the badly fitting Oplab module problem myself, but I think that’s in an entirely different category than a minor cosmetical thing that is so hard to notice.)

1 Like

i guess they should have chosen a metalplate as a base with 8 screws which then holds the whole base unit flat…a hefty sit on the desk would’ve been a nice plus.

my recent OpZ is totally flat and according to service Siedler they changed the top base…basically the whole outer case I guess. dunno

1 Like

1mm? That’s a hair…who cares?? If mine is bent a mm then i have better things to worry about… The world will go on…

1 Like

I think people love to complain…

2 Likes

Let’s try to stay on subject? I was hoping for some hardware engineer-users with some trick up their sleeve. The complaints are riddled enough all over this forum as it is.

3 Likes

You won’t be able to bend it back into shape, but you could get a metal plate fabricated that would hold it straight. (I am an engineer)

4 Likes

I would love that. And I would bet you there is a market for that as well.

1 Like

Might affect bluetooth signal though :grimacing:

1 Like

I always wondered if it would be possible to replace the entire OP-Z case with a machined aluminum body like the OP-1, but that seems a good reason not to do that…

3 Likes

Not a dealbreaker, I use it cabled with the app most of the time anyways

1 Like

Yes there is a way to unbend. There is this post on the o-pz Facebook group where he emptied out the o-pz from its casing by unscrewing a few screws, then heating it up with a hair dryer and putting some heavy books on it. The result looked quite good, perfectly straight o-pz

2 Likes

I’ve my OP-Z for a week. The bottom plate should contribute to the overall chassis stiffness. It’s a poorly thought out design, think of it like an open cardboard box versus a sealed one. I thought about adding an aluminum plate or machined exo-case. The weight would change the balance of the OP-Z. There is a better solution at low cost. Unfortunately I’m recovering from a neurological problem and as a one man shop won’t be able to produce the part for at least a couple of months.

On the flip side I never would have discovered the OP-Z without the neurological issues. It’s kind of hard to play a B3 or guitar with mostly one arm. The OP-Z has been an expressive relief. I intend to provide a thoughtfully integrated solution for the bend along with proper stands for the Minirig 3s.

Don’t want to leave with such a teaser, it’s fatiguing to type left handed on a tablet suspended at eye level. In the meantime shave down a pair of adhesive bumpers and place them in the middle of the bottom plate.

9 Likes

I think many people here would be very interested in this! Even if it adds a bit of weight or bulk, that’s something I would happily take in exchange for more stability (and therefore more consistent button presses). Thanks for this post, it gives me hope :joy:

1 Like

It clearly needs a truss-rod.

5 Likes

I just sent mine in to TE’s repair center in the hope of getting a replacement under warranty. I’ve had it less than a year and it has spent most of that time on my desk. But it is noticeably warped, to the point that one of the module holes has a slight crack. Plus the power/volume knob won’t stay in. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like